Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

Aoyagi

Nah, MCA said Feargus twirled his moustache at Paradox, so that's pretty much out of the window.

What MCA says and what actually happened are two different things. In the end if Paradox wants to move on Tyranny franchise (which has sold quite well) they would be really really stupid not to ask Obsidian to do it. Though Obsidian might not be interested in it at the time.

They don't own a rpg studio, so they would have to hire outsiders to work on it. Outside of Larian and InXile, who is big enough to tackle that game? And actually capable of delivering a good game that wouldn't kill the whole franchise...

Paradox owns Harebrained Schemes now.

Very much true. But Tyranny is a way different than anything they've made. Both Shadowrun and BattleTech are tactical turn based games. I don't know if the crpg stuff kicked in later on in Shadowrun (my save got destroyed haven't had the time to start from the beginning), but from what I saw it would be quite a change for them.

And with BattleTech selling so well, their focus will be on that game and universe for some time.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Obsidian has just become more secure in revenue. Releasing more games per year than ever, owning an IP i.e. getting royalties on sales. Obsidian might have sold when they had trouble securing jobs with publishers like Microsoft pulling the plug on contracts, but they wouldn't sell when they are on the up.

That's exactly when you sell, as you're selling potential growth and revenue and not asking the buyer to save you and take a risk.

It's the phase where everyone is bought (unless to get a specific IP) and it's why fans are so bitter, when the next product is mediocre..

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Very much true. But Tyranny is a way different than anything they've made. Both Shadowrun and BattleTech are tactical turn based games. I don't know if the crpg stuff kicked in later on in Shadowrun (my save got destroyed haven't had the time to start from the beginning), but from what I saw it would be quite a change for them.

And with BattleTech selling so well, their focus will be on that game and universe for some time.

I'd definitely count dragonfall as a crpg, though the lesser overall difficulty and difference in style compared to most other crpgs still stands. I could see Harebrained make a decent game set in the Tyrannyverse; It'd just be something completely different than the original tyranny in style and mechanics, which'd ruin obs' work in creating the setting. Not to mention the unique spellcrafting system'd either have to be redone or thrown out the window. Paradox has also been pondering the possibility of a grand strategy set in Terratus, which sounds really damn interesting as long as it's not a replacement for future CRPGs in the setting.

In the best case, Obs and paradox continue the partnership over the IP, and other possible future games, as before. Paradox's purchase of white wolf and Harebrained both point towards a growing interest in producing and publishing rpg's, and Obs' current model of long continued support alongside consistent communication with the fanbase is a perfect fit for the way Paradox works with its own games and fanbase. It'd be a shame for them to end up competing when they should be able to fit together nicely.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 1

At the time, I was devastated when the news broke about EA acquiring Bioware.

Eventually my fears were proven right and Bio will probably end up with the studio closing soon enough.

Not even sure what their target audience is with Anthem.

With OEI+MS though I'm not sure, this could end very well indeed.

There is always some loss when you give up your independence so no arguing against that.

The financial strength could allow Obsidian to create games beyond AA games, or if they decide to stick to them perhaps polish them more and maybe even create more of them at the same time!

The obvious downside being that they will be asked to create Xbox exclusives, I'm sure :)

Although I'm a cRPG and retro gamer, I'm not married to my mouse and keyboard so I don't worry at all with moving to a gamepad.

I just hope they won't go all in (meaning "beyond" AAA everyone on deck 365 day crunch / year), it just doesn't work.

Do what you do well and with additional Finances, simply do that... better :)

As an example of a studio which is really turning around in my eyes:

I really admire what Square is trying to do revisiting their roots (Bravely Default / Octopath Traveler / etc).

They also remade the Xenogears OST recently, good stuff.

I guess time will tell what will happen, I hope the board stays open though :bat:

• Like 2

Some people are gonna hate me but here's my 2c

This is an exterior view with reasoned analysis of the stories we've heard.

Do I want OBS going corporate - not really...

Do I think it possible? Definitely, why, you may ask?

As mentioned above in some post the company heads most likely want the financial security to retire safely

In 2012 OBS almost went bust - see 

- it's worth 84 mins of your life simply to understand the hassle they went thru (happy ending)

I spend 1/4 of my day researching, 1/4 managing my team (see my Sig) and the other 1/2 writing various support tools etc (this includes posting here)

This means I'm well informed and as such able to comment properly

IF a deal is coming it appears OBS will accept.

WHY?

NOT to get rich, to safeguard the employees

OBS has around 170 staff, believe me - those are the people you think of when you start a company (I've worked for a company that got purchased - our MDs ONLY concern was that we kept our jobs - the same guy also was instrumental in the Amiga... Long story)

All the founding members can happily retire today I imagine - they want to protect the staff!

So, with M$ actively looking for Studios and specifically RPGs is a buyout likely?

Yep

Will this change OBS?

Likely

Will we get a POE3?

More than likely

NOTE: This is an analysis from experience, nothing else

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

Where's rumor control when you need them? This seems a likely fake; an unfounded rumor. Microsoft already cancelled Stormlands, so why would they want to acquire Obsidian?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It could be worse. Imagine if Disney bought Obsidian. PoE3 companions would be: Goofy, Iron Man, Mr. Incredible and Jar Jar Binks.

On the bright side, this would mean we can sacrifice Jar Jar to Skaen. I could live with the -1 to intelligence his Effigy's Resentment would give.

• Like 4

It could be worse. Imagine if Disney bought Obsidian. PoE3 companions would be: Goofy, Iron Man, Mr. Incredible and Jar Jar Binks.

On the bright side, this would mean we can sacrifice Jar Jar to Skaen. I could live with the -1 to intelligence his Effigy's Resentment would give.

That is a good point. Even benevolent characters would do it.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Sacrificing Jar-Jar Binks would raise your reputation with all factions.

• Like 5

*Especially* benevolent characters.

• Like 4

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"(which has sold quite well)"

Define 'quite well'.

Well enough for fans to call a success which means not very well in reality

Great .... everything M/s touches turn to ****. Just wonderful.

Like what? The canceled ip's which are actually being saved for next-gen since they admitted defeat for this gen?

Sacrificing Jar-Jar Binks would raise your reputation with all factions.
But you need General Binks to get the crucial victory which allows for the best ending. It's not worth the sacrifice when the factions are equally annoying and have much less to offer.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot2-the-best-is-yet-to-come.48137/page-319#post-13462626

Rising the likelihood of Obsidian Entertainment joining Microsoft Studios from 50/50 to 70/30. I heard other (press) people are on this now, too. 

So close to say "measure me on this" - but not there, yet.

Edited by Infinitron

Maybe one of the reasons some of the older Obsidianites are leaving right now? Losing Anthony Davis and Rich Taylor in span of few weeks to Blizzard stings. Unless Blizzard has some dream game of theirs that they are hiring for.

Hate the living, love the dead.