Beast of Winter DLC Announcement

but where's my damn Ydwin upgrade

Waifu extravaganza dlc, for the low price of $19.99 ydwin becomes a full companion seeking to use her animancy tools for something else. Also includes the apprentice wizard lady and drunk pirate, but those aren't ydwin-tier waifus so who cares? Also includes cross-Dlc content with the husbando pack and the romantic encounters pack, all bundled together for the low price of $49.99. It'll make you and your companions shout "Ekera"!
  • Like 7

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Incidentally, trawling through the globals file reveals the name of Vatnir's godlike race: Endings.

So that's pretty cool.

but where's my damn Ydwin upgrade

Waifu extravaganza dlc, for the low price of $19.99 ydwin becomes a full companion seeking to use her animancy tools for something else. Also includes the apprentice wizard lady and drunk pirate, but those aren't ydwin-tier waifus so who cares? Also includes cross-Dlc content with the husbando pack and the romantic encounters pack, all bundled together for the low price of $49.99. It'll make you and your companions shout "Ekera"!

I lol'd

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

So if they havent increased the level cap what other incentives are there for people to buy the expansion apart from more story?

Are the more spells, abilities ect ? new game features?

New companion/sidekick, new items, new pieces of lore, new ending slides.

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So if they havent increased the level cap what other incentives are there for people to buy the expansion apart from more story?

But apart from that, what has the DLC ever done for us?

• Like 6

yeah what are we supposed to do ?

Play the expansion and not level up the whole time?

The main reason i play these games is so i can level up and get more powerful

Running around talking to fictional characters is going to have to cut it

Edited by no1fanboy
  • Like 1

While I was watching the stream the word "companion" was dropped several times when it comes to Vatnir. I can't remember that they said sidekick. Did I miss it?

IIRC they clarified as one of the very last questions (right when he was being introduced).

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I guess I'll once again come off as a grump - but I'm slightly dissapointed - if not surprised at all - of Vatnir being *yet another* sidekick. On the plus side, he seems to have a bit more story stuff than your typical sidekick. But I guess after leaving the DLC area he'll probably shut up forever, cause that's how they roll.

Not to be overtly pessimistic - but I think that new full companions are off the table. I guess it's too much hassle for Obsidian to add this much new content to the relationship system. So, worst case scenario, we may be stuck with the regular seven  + what it shaping up to be an entire army of sidekicks. Oh, well. But, again, that's just my hunch - and I pray to be wrong.

But not to come off as completely negative - we'll fnally get to see a functioning Pale Elf society, after them being shrouded in mystery for two games. And that's really fine in my book.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 1

I LOVE the new guy, Vatnir, already. This is a great addition for us folks who weren’t terribly fond of Xoti, or just thought that one playthrough with her was enough.

I remember xoti was written by Megan Starks, And she writing kills-in-shadow in tyranny. Both are worst character in game. OK,Maybe xoti better than kills-in-shadow, but still awful.

Edited by misterjimmy
  • Like 1

I LOVE the new guy, Vatnir, already. This is a great addition for us folks who weren’t terribly fond of Xoti, or just thought that one playthrough with her was enough.

I remember xoti was written by Megan Starks, And she writing kills-in-shadow in tyranny. Both are worst character in game. OK,Maybe xoti better than kills-in-shadow, but still awful.

In what way are they awful?

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

On stream they did say that Vatnir will have some reactions to the base game events too? As for Ydwin, she had some interjections in two dialogues they showed.

You're right, but technically speaking, Ydwin/Fassina/Konstanten also have "some reactions to base game events" - all five of them. So, we'll see how this is gonna go. 

And honestly, I'm ambivalent about Ydwin's treatment - I like that she might get some more content here and there in BoW, but from what I understand from the stream she's still a mere sidekick - unless Mr Scokel was *very* coy and tightlipped. So I don't believe she'll be getting a character quest, any sort of character arc or a possibility to form any sort of meaningful relationship with the Watcher. And all of this will be rendered moot the minute she leaves the DLC area and becomes silent once agan. As previously, I'll see how this pans out. I'm just that much of an Eeyore.

I'll give Xoti this - I still cannot figure out what's the idea behind her character, but at least she's entertaining. I don't think in way that writer originally intended, but entertaining nontheless. If I were to pick a character I dislike the most it would be hands-down Pallegina. She's just unpleasant to deal with. I guess her supposed depth and nuance flew over my head. But that's a completely different discussion alltogether.

New priest subclass as well iirc.

Did they confirm it will be available to players as well? I don’t mind either way, though I’m generally a fan of stuff that is unique to companions/sidekicks.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

New priest subclass as well iirc.

if this all they are adding this is an incredibly underwhelming expansion release?

So apart from new magic items all we get is a new sidekick and 1 new subclass while at the same time not being able to level up any higher?

I can t believe i am seeing this actually happening

Edited by no1fanboy
  • Like 1

if this all they are adding this is an incredibly underwhelming expansion release?

So apart from new magic items all we get is a new sidekick and 1 new subclass while at the same time not being able to level up any higher?

This is not an expansion, it's a DLC. Different things.

You should be thankful it wasn't just horse armor.

• Like 3

This is not an expansion, it's a DLC. Different things.

You should be thankful it wasn't just horse armor.

What are you talking about they have added more story content and extra hours of game play. That would be an expansion

What are you talking about they have added more story content and extra hours of game play. That would be an expansion

Nope, they've been very clear that this is a DLC. Not to be confused with the White March which was more in line with the tradtional sense of an expansion (of yorn).

• Like 2

Hunm, I'm still playing PoE1 because I bought the game this year, but see what is coming is really cool. And I really would like to the expansion give me the wallpaper used on the http://eternity.obsidian.net for Beast of Winter's banner...

• Like 3

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

Nope, they've been very clear that this is a DLC. Not to be confused with the White March which was more in line with the tradtional sense of an expansion (of yorn).

Actually, they've called them DLC and expansions in the past. You can still find on Obsidian's website where they call them expansions.