RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

So let's keep talking about Brian Mitsoda & Annie Carlson's ZRPG, now Dead State, cause it looks super exciting.

I'm surprised by how good the game looks. It's a bit too clean in that low-budget 3D kind of way, but there are interesting things going on with a large number of placeables and some lighting, and if they can get some grit in there it's going to look really really good, certainly good enough to carry thea tmosphere.

I'm really excited because I think they're on the right track to creating very interesting and difficult moral/pragmatic decisions for players, a game where you don't ride the troubles and save the day but a game where you have to do the ugly and the terrible, but you'll choose what ugly and terrible. Also, its Mitsoda.

It's also the kind of 'post-Fallout' setting that I'm very interested in seeing, that we haven't seen much of outside FPS's and the FO franchise itself.

So let's keep talking about Brian Mitsoda & Annie Carlson's ZRPG, now Dead State, cause it looks super exciting.

I'm surprised by how good the game looks. It's a bit too clean in that low-budget 3D kind of way, but there are interesting things going on with a large number of placeables and some lighting, and if they can get some grit in there it's going to look really really good, certainly good enough to carry thea tmosphere.

I'm really excited because I think they're on the right track to creating very interesting and difficult moral/pragmatic decisions for players, a game where you don't ride the troubles and save the day but a game where you have to do the ugly and the terrible, but you'll choose what ugly and terrible. Also, its Mitsoda.

It's also the kind of 'post-Fallout' setting that I'm very interested in seeing, that we haven't seen much of outside FPS's and the FO franchise itself.

I would guess its prolly really early screens. It doesn't look great visually, but its about how such games play.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

There is a separate thread for that you guys could revive : http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...0&start=120

The game uses the latest Torque engine, so the screenshots are probably a pretty good representation of what you'll get in-game.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I thought the screenshots looked great, but there're always the graphics whores.

Well, technically, since they are paying for it, they'd be the graphics johns...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

*sigh*

They could change the shaders, and textures etc... So no it isn't forced to be representative. Using an engine doesn't infer any particular look by default.

I don't think it looks visually good, but I also don't care. I expect the game to be fun and functional. Graphics are not everything.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

what about Borderlands? it's an action-rpg in my book (well, that's 'cause Diablo gets to be an rpg so it's only fair Borderlands does too)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, "Valve once worked on an action rpg" sounded like Valve haven't made anything else but shooters )

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

haha, no I don't, that .gif suits me nicely =]

wth? I was sure Borderlands was their follow-up to Left for Dead. and I think I know why: I was sure that Gearbox and Valve are the same thing (thanks to Opposing Force probably)

Walsingham said:

His method of coping is more interesting than what he did?

That is a terribly sad and horrible story. That destroyed my day. Maybe that would have been better in General or something. I'm aghast at how it was just sort of glazed over here too. That's simply put, a horrendous and horrible thing to have happen. The boy was very callous about it from how it's written as well. I'm shocked...and disturbed. That's terrible. I guess in some ways it's a look into the mind of a murderer, and I find it's disturbing.

I'm having flashbacks to 1982.

(Obviously this is a horrible murder, but in looking for motives they should be examining the subject).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man