Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4786 posts

Old thread here.

Last posts:

Heh i've been waiting for Eitr for years now ... :S

Same. That one and Death's Gambit.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There have now been 10 years of cheeki breekis and getting out of there Stalker since Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is now 10 years old. Still has the best atmosphere in any game I've played, and the best 'dungeons'.

Even worse for making me feel old, Baldur's Gate will be 20 (!) years old next year.

• mkreku, Starwars, Azdeus and 1 other like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2876 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
If you want to enjoy For Honor in fullest, you have to either shell out 70+730USD or play 5200 hours.

Do you still think that Microtransactions should stay in the games?

https://arstechnica....-or-5200-hours/

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6546 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

https://youtu.be/GIdcjAVwBdw

Better facial animations and less nightmarish faces than ME:A. 10/10 Would solve button puzzle again.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2734 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Even worse for making me feel old, Baldur's Gate will be 20 (!) years old next year.

Why wait until next year when you've got plenty 20 year olds this year. Like Fallout, Diablo ( as far europe is concerned), Dungeon Keeper, MDK, Total Annihilation, GTA and Age of Empires. ;__; No to mention that Final Fantasy and Maniac Mansion will be turning 30 this year.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why do you want me to feel old now, instead of next year?

Of that list the only one I personally would take as significant would be Fallout, and I played that a year or so after release since I actually played F2 first (I also preferred F2). The other games I either played or liked on that list such as DK/ TA/ AoE I simply wouldn't consider important enough, to me, to remember their release date.

(I didn't like Diablo much, though I'll freely admit it is a significant game in general)

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sigh I really hate fractured but whole got a year delay.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

There have now been 10 years of cheeki breekis and getting out of there Stalker since Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is now 10 years old. Still has the best atmosphere in any game I've played, and the best 'dungeons'.

I can't help but get some slight goosebumps every time I think about the game, love it.

Have you tried Call of Chernobyl? I haven't had the time yet so I can't vouch for the quality myself, read about it in the Swedish PCGamer a little while ago, and it looks promising. :)

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
When a coworker is younger than C&C, I feel old.
  • Majek, Mamoulian War, Raithe and 4 others like this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts

My boss is. ._.

• Malcador likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3465 posts

Then I remember what ****ty time they were born into and I feel all better.

• Azdeus likes this

Luridis

Luridis

Nightfall of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Witcher 3 Devs started out with no idea how to make games?

More than a decade ago, I read that Blizzard had no idea how to make an MMO when it made WoW. (Now ruined by Activision IMO) Now, what the folks are saying in the comments is that this is because of publisher practices and "standard operating procedure" etc.

My thought is this: While all of that is possible, could there be a much simpler explanation? I imagine when a lot of these successful games pop up from first time or near first time developers there is something they don't have, that very experienced developers do have... A concept of limitations. In fact, most of retro gaming is filled with titles that were made by people whom had no preconceptions about what is possible and what was not. Additionally, there were no curriculum for game design with professors telling them what's possible and what isn't. Perhaps the reason why what they try often works is because they have no reason to believe that it won't. After all, complacency is one sure way to undermine one's goals.

• Mamoulian War, WDeranged, Azdeus and 2 others like this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I can't help but get some slight goosebumps every time I think about the game, love it.

Have you tried Call of Chernobyl? I haven't had the time yet so I can't vouch for the quality myself, read about it in the Swedish PCGamer a little while ago, and it looks promising. :)

To be honest I've barely played with any mods, except for AMK (and real weapon names for the later ones). Up until mid late 2015 I literally didn't have the bandwidth for most mods, this year I've mostly been catching up on games I couldn't download previously. A properly modded Stalker run is certainly on the list though.

• Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts

To be honest I've barely played with any mods, except for AMK (and real weapon names for the later ones). Up until mid late 2015 I literally didn't have the bandwidth for most mods, this year I've mostly been catching up on games I couldn't download previously. A properly modded Stalker run is certainly on the list though.

I've taken a couple of vacation days at the end of the week, wich I will spend on that mod, it just looks too promising - especially now that the games I wanted to play turned out to be turds. I've spent some time in Lost Alpha and Stalker Complete, but I hope this will be better than LA atleast.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Still confused as to why LA was released mid-2014...and somehow they've been working on an update for the last three years. It's not like the project has been abandoned, either...but it's like they're keeping any and all changes to themselves until they feel "comfortable" releasing it all it once. I tried it way back when it was originally released, thought, "Looks like there's a few things they still need to work out, I'll check back in a couple of months," ...and now it's been nearly 3 years.

lol @ winning "Mod of the Year" in 2014 before it was even released yet, and still sorta isn't :(

Edited by Bartimaeus, 22 March 2017 - 03:34 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5154 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

'Castlevania' successor 'Bloodstained' is coming to the Switch.

• SonicMage117 likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6546 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
Grim Dawn is getting an expansion this year which will add the Necromancer class, among other things.

http://www.grimdawn....ead.php?t=52416
  • the_dog_days likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts

Still confused as to why LA was released mid-2014...and somehow they've been working on an update for the last three years. It's not like the project has been abandoned, either...but it's like they're keeping any and all changes to themselves until they feel "comfortable" releasing it all it once. I tried it way back when it was originally released, thought, "Looks like there's a few things they still need to work out, I'll check back in a couple of months," ...and now it's been nearly 3 years.

lol @ winning "Mod of the Year" in 2014 before it was even released yet, and still sorta isn't :(

Well, Call of Chernobyl won Mod of the year in 2016 iirc, so *Shrug*

From what I remember they planned to release Lost Alpha as a pay for expansion, with the blessings of GSC, but when someone leaked the unfinished project some drama probably happened and they lost their "deal" with GSC, so they released it for free, but in an incomplete stage instead. It's been a while since I read about it though, so I might be remembering things wrong.

Still, downloading and installing Call of Chernobyl in a few minutes. :)

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
GOG Galaxy now has cloud saves.

Full details: https://www.gog.com/...the_end_of_beta

Edited by the_dog_days, 22 March 2017 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users