RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Oh well, I guess the game is good for what it is.

The main characters not being likeable is probably the scariest thing for me here. Almost everything else can be fixed (...besides certain character sounds being annoying to listen to, I guess - that's probably not too likely). Banjo and Kazooie are a pretty iconic duo, and their games are known for their simplistic, yet clever writing. I kind of feared that they would struggle to get close to replicating that.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

SR2 went through the emotional extremes. One minute it was over the top comedy violence, then it would twist to heart-wrenching seriousness. Then it would flip right back again.

Weirdly enough, I found this to be one of the more gratifying things about SR2.  Often I think stories that deal with violence dwell only on the darker aspects of the story.  But real life will have ups and down - moments of tragedy and moments of the absurd.  SR2 better than 3 & 4 walks that line.  

My favorite sequence in SR2 was the Boss being kidnapped by the Sons of Samadi leader and being drugged.  It was harrowing to play and funnily absurd at the same time.

Yes the Boss is a criminal badass.  And still I felt very conflicted about the trunk sequence - it was a horrible thing, but from a story perspective it was such an appropriate response for the character.  It was cathartic to get it to work and yet it was awful too - a nice story moment to challenge the player's perception and greatly appreciated by me.

I think SR4 forgets to ground itself in real emotion and resonates less for it. It also doesn't have a charming scene like SR3 between Pierce and the Boss singing 'What I Got" that is such a great character moment which pretty much made that game for me.

I agree, that dance between the tones and emotional extremes worked very well in SR2 and helped sell the whole story and the characters involved. Those are the points you'll remember about the game years from now.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I liked SR4 the best of the series. I liked that they went full silly. Also I thought that game had some really witty social commentary cleverly sugar coated in its ridiculousness. Also also, the ending to the Enter the Dominatrix DLC is the best video game ending I have ever seen. I cried genuine manly tears of joy.

I can see what you're saying.  Social commentary can often work as an underpinning to allegorical storytelling.  I don't dislike SR4, but I didn't like it like I did SR2 and SR3.  To the point I never tried any of the downloadable content for it.

EDIT: I will say SR4 also disappointed me by changing the voice actors for the Boss.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

SR3 was boring as hell, 4 was the same except for the apotheosis joke.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Weirdly enough, I found this to be one of the more gratifying things about SR2.  Often I think stories that deal with violence dwell only on the darker aspects of the story.  But real life will have ups and down - moments of tragedy and moments of the absurd.  SR2 better than 3 & 4 walks that line.  

My favorite sequence in SR2 was the Boss being kidnapped by the Sons of Samadi leader and being drugged.  It was harrowing to play and funnily absurd at the same time.

Yes the Boss is a criminal badass.  And still I felt very conflicted about the trunk sequence - it was a horrible thing, but from a story perspective it was such an appropriate response for the character.  It was cathartic to get it to work and yet it was awful too - a nice story moment to challenge the player's perception and greatly appreciated by me.

I think SR4 forgets to ground itself in real emotion and resonates less for it. It also doesn't have a charming scene like SR3 between Pierce and the Boss singing 'What I Got" that is such a great character moment which pretty much made that game for me.

I couldn't agree more, it's been years, and despite the clunky PC gameplay I remember it fondly for how great the storytelling was.

I also really appreciated the fact that the game let you be as psychotic a motherf as the people you came across, doing all manners of horrible things to them, just to then go and pick up a septic tank to ferilize the local neighbourhood. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I liked SR4 the best of the series. I liked that they went full silly. Also I thought that game had some really witty social commentary cleverly sugar coated in its ridiculousness. Also also, the ending to the Enter the Dominatrix DLC is the best video game ending I have ever seen. I cried genuine manly tears of joy.

Pierce fast forwarding and then complaining about the plot not making sense. Been there, had to endure that. I could totally understand Kinzie :)

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Regarding the Saints Row series: the second installment was the most enjoyable for me in terms of missions and writing but let's not forget the controls, SR3 & 4 had tighter control and handling all the way. I wish Volition would simply remaster SR2. :3

The main characters not being likeable is probably the scariest thing for me here. Almost everything else can be fixed (...besides certain character sounds being annoying to listen to, I guess - that's probably not too likely). Banjo and Kazooie are a pretty iconic duo, and their games are known for their simplistic, yet clever writing. I kind of feared that they would struggle to get close to replicating that.

I always regret not having played those games during the time I had an N64 :(

However, I do have an Xbox 360 that is collecting dust so I guess it is time put it to good use. Both Banjo Kazooie & Banjo Tooie should be available on the store. All I need now is some time and energy.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I played them on emulator a few months ago. Still pretty solid platformers, although I've always preferred BK of the two - just easier to pick up and play than BT.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Uggghh... I forgot I traded in SR2 (PS3 version) awhile back. Right now I only have 3 and 4 on Steam. Guess I'll play through SR3 again til SR2 is on sale (Steam).

I can barely remember the intricate details of SR2's story because it's been that long. All I remember is that it was better than SR4 lol

Too bad about Yooka-Laylee but I kinda expected it. When people have very fond memories of Banjo Kazooie (Did I spell that right?) it's hard to live up to that expectation. I'll probably buy it when it's on a good discount sale.

I'm hoping Sonic Mania doesn't let me down. Sonic games were so good in the 90's and early 00's... lately Sega has slaughtered the series. Sonic Mania looks to put them back on track

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The reviews for Yooka-Laylee seem about right to me. Yeah, they're a little low, but it's basically because, "This game is more or less a direct spiritual successor to BK/BT...for better or for worse...and also it has a few issues that need fixing." So that they're low doesn't perturb me very much - that's just the nature of a niche game.

• Like 2

This is another game I'm very excited about... people are saying it's coming out in April but I'm not so sure. Could be May or June, developer is a bit quiet aboit stuff. Looks better than GTA games in my opinion, it's GTA2 with the physics of Far Cry and some cool retro charm to it.

Off topic but I just have to say... Costume Quest series is one of the best rpg series ever made. Games may be short but they have alot of depth to them. They cut all the filer and get to it and what they present is fun, simple and entertaining.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Shakedown Hawaii looks absolutely crazy. I had fun playing Retro City Rampage(still haven't beaten it yet) and this seems to be a good sequel to that game.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Uggghh... I forgot I traded in SR2 (PS3 version) awhile back. Right now I only have 3 and 4 on Steam. Guess I'll play through SR3 again til SR2 is on sale (Steam).

I can barely remember the intricate details of SR2's story because it's been that long. All I remember is that it was better than SR4 lol

You should watch gog.com too, they've got it aswell.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

ES6 is coming out i 2019 or 2020? I'd say don't bother. That would be at least eight years after Skyrim. The title would be irrelevant then. If they feel the Elder Scrolls is creatively exhausted then they should just retire the title. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

ES6 is coming out i 2019 or 2020? I'd say don't bother. That would be at least eight years after Skyrim. The title would be irrelevant then. If they feel the Elder Scrolls is creatively exhausted then they should just retire the title.

Part of me feels the same way, another part, however, says to give them that time to create something special.

I loved parts of Falliut 4 but really hated other parts. What is supposedly a non-linear rpg felt like the most linear open world action game I've ever played....

I'm hoping they don't butcher Elder Scrolls, Berhesda has been somewhat questionable lately, Doom was phenomenal but Skyrim and Fallout 4 were just "meh." In my opinion. Of course I'm talking without mods though.

Part of me feels the same way, another part, however, says to give them that time to create something special.

I loved parts of Falliut 4 but really hated other parts. What is supposedly a non-linear rpg felt like the most linear open world action game I've ever played....

I'm hoping they don't butcher Elder Scrolls, Berhesda has been somewhat questionable lately, Doom was phenomenal but Skyrim and Fallout 4 were just "meh." In my opinion. Of course I'm talking without mods though.

Bethesda didn't develop Doom, they just published it.

In my opinion, Bethesda hasn't developed anything special since 2007, when they released Shivering Isles (still the single best thing that company has ever put out, IMHO).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bethesda didn't develop Doom, they just published it.

In my opinion, Bethesda hasn't developed anything special since 2007, when they released Shivering Isles (still the single best thing that company has ever put out, IMHO).

You're absolutely right!

Shivering Isles was pretty cool, but Morrowind is the single best Bethesda creation, and don't make me fight you over it  :bat:

• Like 4
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Shivering Isles was pretty cool, but Morrowind is the single best Bethesda creation, and don't make me fight you over it  :bat:

I've got your back, bruh! You tank, while I figure out how to make fireball/molotovs. :sorcerer:

• Like 2

Wasn't there a pretty big gap between Morrowind and Oblivion?

Anyways, ESO is still going strong and churning out new content, so clearly they are still invested in the property.