Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

ktchong

If I recall correctly, it was his species.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Stop being wishy-washy. Pick a side, TN.

Finally. Jedi and Sith were always dumb philosophies. Grey ftw.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Easy to say for us, when we don't have an universal Force that is our black/white watchdog.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Apathy is death :p

Oh look, it's Luke playing Yoda in an The Empire Strikes Back remake. /cynicism

I am hoping Rey loses a foot to Kylo Ren as she finds out he's her cousin.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You know, had I been Luke, the last trained Force user at the end of Ep 6, I don't think I'd have trained anyone. Ever. Perhaps the people of a long time ago in a galaxy far away would have been better off if all knowledge of using the force passed into legend. Seems to me the people who used it caused more problems than they ever solved.

Just sayin'.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know, had I been Luke, the last trained Force user at the end of Ep 6, I don't think I'd have trained anyone. Ever. Perhaps the people of a long time ago in a galaxy far away would have been better off if all knowledge of using the force passed into legend. Seems to me the people who used it caused more problems than they ever solved.

Just sayin'.

Problem with that is that you'd probably have more darkside users walking about, since it's easier to fall for that temptation than to maintain the dicipline and selfcontrol not to abuse your powers.

I dunno GD. Not having to get up to get something would be pretty damn useful. :lol:

See what I mean? :D

Edited by Azdeus

"No officer, I was doing 60" o:)

Hehe, the force is just telekineses with "jazz hands". But you are right, I probably would start abusing it.

Not quite, the hands aren't that needed as seen with Ozzel.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is it "dark side" to use the force for creature comforts? Say I wanted to hover instead of walk or I left my beer downstairs so I make it fly up to my hand...is that dark side?

I'd say that's either PT or charge the Force usage as a training expense.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Dang, I need to get that too.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

With 4/26 upon us and the release of Alien: Covenant to follow soon after, it's probably worth reminding ourselves in spite of the myriad of shortcomings of Prometheus, Scott's next effort couldn't possible be worse than Resurrection:

Note that I checked the comments section and am astounded by the number of people who will passionately defend that film. I suppose that's the crowd that thought Salvation and Genysis was the right direction for the Terminator franchise. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I liked Alien Resurrection even if I think it's a mess of a film. A comparison to Terminator Salvation isn't inappropriate, as it is another film with a few interesting ideas that make a jumble sale of a film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If you look at it, in a certain sense Alien Resurrection is kind of like a rough draft for Firefly. ;)

Joss Whedon's take is interesting on the whole "I wrote a script. they used large chunks of my script, but they shot them in ways that made the scenes almost the complete reverse of the things I intended, and I have no idea how they did that."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't know. I could imagine that "Who do I have to **** ..." line being all Whedon, and remembering that is enough for something to rise in my esophagus, good direction and cinematography or no.

In addition:

I would have thought that Shaw would know better than to leave the robit unsupervised given the events of Prometheus, but someone pointed out to me that it wasn't as if good judgement was in abundance for the Prometheus crew.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling