Update #97: Pillars of Eternity Card Game: Lords of the Eastern Reach

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

pe-banner-580.jpg

Hello, backers. Obsidian has some very exciting news! Today marks the first day of a brand new Kickstarter for the Pillars of Eternity card game, Lords of the Eastern Reach.

Lords of the Eastern Reach is a strategic card game of adventure and empire building based on Pillars of Eternity. You must protect and build a city. Hire heroes and troops for defense or to delve into dangerous dungeons for loot and glory. Build towers, blacksmiths and other buildings to gain the advantage and go for the win.

pe-box-580.jpg

The game is designed for 2-4 players and takes about 20-30 minutes per player. This gives the game a substantial feel while still being able to fit a game in on a work night.

Turns are very interactive, with players being able to perform actions like building and hiring on other players' turns. No more sitting around waiting for your turn to come up!

pe-gameplay-580.jpg

The original video game development team was actively involved in its development.

The design of the card game was done by game industry veteran Chris Taylor (Lead Designer, Fallout) while much of the game's development was done by Obsidian's own Scott Everts and John Lewis.

Lords of the Eastern Reach also features artwork created by Pillars of Eternity artists such as John Lewis, Kaz Aruga, Polina Hristova and more.

pe-ks-video-580.jpg

If you are interested check out the video above where Feargus Urquhart and Chris Taylor go into the basics of the card game and talk about the Lords of the Eastern Reach Kickstarter in more detail.

If you would like to back and get your hands on your own copy, head over to the game's Kickstarter page and donate.

• Like 7

Is this why our CDs and physical boxes havn't been shipped yet? You're more interested in hawking new stuff rather than giving the goods your higher paying pledgers paid for?

The DVDs have been pressed and the addresses have been sent to the shipping company. DVDs should be arriving in the next week or two.

• Like 1

Is this why our CDs and physical boxes havn't been shipped yet? You're more interested in hawking new stuff rather than giving the goods your higher paying pledgers paid for?

It's a status update, dude.

• Like 1

This isn't even being made by Obsidian. If you had paid attention, you would know that the DVDs would arrive at a later date.  :sorcerer:

• Like 1

Good luck with your Kickstarter. Card games aren't really my thing, but I'm sure there will be plenty of card game supporters around.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

In the pitch video, when the word "balance" is said by the narrator, Josh Sawyer's face is shown.

Figures.

https://youtu.be/e99cYA4rtxg?t=75

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Looks to be nearly at the initial goal already - good luck with this :)

(sadly I've no more money to give at the mo')

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Its interesting how PoE is a BRAND right now. As a brand I am sure we will see a lot more games and "merchandise" and things with the PoE Brand in the future. Maybe I will pledge this card game if there will a language localization. (And I am sure there will be one). Good luck to the project.

Its interesting how PoE is a BRAND right now. As a brand I am sure we will see a lot more games and "merchandise" and things with the PoE Brand in the future. Maybe I will pledge this card game if there will a language localization. (And I am sure there will be one). Good luck to the project.

Agreed.  I really want them to build a P&P game that can rival the big boys, along with a few books.  This franchise has a lot of potential.  

Edited by bonarbill

Its interesting how PoE is a BRAND right now. As a brand I am sure we will see a lot more games and "merchandise" and things with the PoE Brand in the future.

Durance action figures? :D

(Also, Grieving Mother's. Easy to make, as no one can see them...)

Is there a possibility to support via PayPal?

I can't use Kickstarter (except for laborious workarounds) as I don't have (or usually need) a credit card.

Edited by Varana

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Its interesting how PoE is a BRAND right now. As a brand I am sure we will see a lot more games and "merchandise" and things with the PoE Brand in the future.

Durance action figures? :D

(Also, Grieving Mother's. Easy to make, as no one can see them...)

Is there a possibility to support via PayPal?

I can't use Kickstarter (except for laborious workarounds) as I don't have (or usually need) a credit card.

They already reached their goal and could enable PayPal, so yes. :) Btw, I pledge on KS using my debit card. I remember it didn't work for me way back in 2012, but now the payments typically go through without issues. I'm not sure what changed because I didn't talk to my bank about it... But I'm not complaining. ;) Edited by Rosveen

I want to back the game, but I already have the listed digital rewards from the PoE kickstarter. So the decision between $39 and $59 will be entirely about the physical component improvements. Can you provide more detail on them?

I love the ZRG logo ... I hope they print some shirts and coffee mugs, maybe a beanie, except I don't wear beanies, but I'd still buy one. 

The only thing is, whenever I see the logo, I have the urge to speak in an evil tone ... fire one million. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Gotta be honest, I think this sounds like a terrible idea.

I don't think PoE is popular enough to denote a card game. Even though it's hit it's kickstarter goal, the amount of people backing it seems pretty limited.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I dunno jack about card game markets or something, but I just don't see how this'll turn much of a profit for Obsidian beyond the initial kickstarter profits.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Gotta be honest, I think this sounds like a terrible idea.

I don't think PoE is popular enough to denote a card game. Even though it's hit it's kickstarter goal, the amount of people backing it seems pretty limited.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I dunno jack about card game markets or something, but I just don't see how this'll turn much of a profit for Obsidian beyond the initial kickstarter profits.

This board game is made by http://www.zeroradiusgames.com/ and they will get the lion share of the profit. Obsidian will get some bits of it, if the sales are high. So in that sense this "project" is doing very well, Obsidian is not in it for profit, just to spread the earlier mentioned "brand". I will post the link to this profit sharing, as soon as i find it again. (or one of you Obsidianer's could poke in and clarify your intentions)

Edited by Rhuac
  • Like 1

"The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."