Revolutionary combat system

Because Sui Generis is not relevant to what Obsidian is trying to accomplish. Its combat system is essentially a twitchy rpg-lite action game and not a tactical, party based real time with pause system.

• Like 12

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The combat isn't RTwP so it hardly deserves mention. Looks like it'll be action oriented; hardly what poe is going for.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

@Malignacious  Sui Generis is basically (to me anyways) Die by the Sword 2 but isometric rather than 3rd person. Someone should kindly move this thread to off-topic.

Edited by Tuckey

This is the most advanced thing I ever saw in an RPG game, why is no one talking about it.

This is "Pillars of Eternity: General Discussion" forum.

"Talk about your gameplay experiences, hopes & dreams for Pillars of Eternity here"

Oh, bother.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

It is impressive!

It's very hard to tell, but each swing actually clubs tiny bugs. When you reach 10,000 squashed bugs on your stick, a hole will open up in the sand before you. Just jump right in!

It will lead you to a secret level, full of rainbows, pink trolls and candy landscaping! :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Uh... there's a guy on a beach awkwardly swinging a stick. I don't get it. What am I supposed to be impressed about?

Looks like a girl when the inventory opens.

Apart from being irrelevant to PoE as everybody mentioned already, why would you make a combat system with a lot of moves isometric instead of first/third person? Seems kind of awkward to control this way, and the pace seems too slow as well.

Is this the first ever game with procedural combat where you can make your own moves?

I think i remember playing a boxing game where you could do that..

And Die By The Sword or whatever the game was called. Pretty sure the sword moves there were entirely controlled by the player, and the game was from... 1999? 

Edit: 1998. Found gog.com link: http://www.gog.com/game/die_by_the_sword_expansion 

Edited by Greensleeve

Moved to the appropriate forum.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You guys taking potshots at Sui Generis should at least read about the game. It's not 'swinging at air'. Of course, that's what's shown on the video, but it's demonstrating the combat mechanic of using weapons. The idea they have behind it is that unlike many other games, your weapon swings will actually have weight behind them. Your character can overswing and go off balance, you need to orient the character properly in order to hit, you can't make a crapton of uber swings in a short period of time, etc.

Now, whether or not they'll be able to deliver on what they say that want to (not only the combat mechanics, but they also want to create a far different type of RPG with regards to reactivity of the world and blah blah blah). I was intrigued enough to toss them a minimal pledge, since if they can deliver on what they say they want to, this could be a helluva game. Bit this is the only Kickstarted project where I thought there was a good chance my pledge would get me nothing. Still, if they can pull it off, it should be more than worth the money. I'd recommend taking a look at what they want to achieve with the combat mechanics before waving it away as nothing new/special/innovative.

• Like 1

OK, well, that is more interesting.

It stands or falls on the control scheme though. If done well, it could be fun to play. If not, it'll be horrid.

I briefly checked out the pitch and frankly it sets off my alarm bells though. Great pitch with some clever and innovative ideas, but they'll have to pull some serious rabbits out of hats if they want to actually make it with that kind of budget. If it does come out I'll happily buy it, but this does look like a high-risk project.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

OK, well, that is more interesting.

It stands or falls on the control scheme though. If done well, it could be fun to play. If not, it'll be horrid.

I briefly checked out the pitch and frankly it sets off my alarm bells though. Great pitch with some clever and innovative ideas, but they'll have to pull some serious rabbits out of hats if they want to actually make it with that kind of budget. If it does come out I'll happily buy it, but this does look like a high-risk project.

Agree with every one of your points. I waffled about backing it at all, but finally decided I'd toss the minimum pledge that would give me the game. I count it as a 'throwaway bet' though and will be pleasantly surprised not only if they deliver the game, but if it's even close to being what they say it will be.

• Like 1

Probably the most interesting thing about the combat - that blows are force-fields pushing at the model meshes, are deflected by parry to a degree, that hits are registered at the actual impact and direction of the weapon, instead of being a swing-animation in thin air that applies damage if performed close enough to the other character, etc. - isn't shown in that video.

I mean, the animation looks like ass. But the idea is really good, and there's no reason why this can't be used - really well - with more interesting animation.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

• 2 weeks later...

The OP should never have posted this thread in PoE forum, because obviously it was going to be flamed to death, and that game does not deserve that at all. If you want to know about SG I suggest you to read this: #1#2#3. I asure you that you will find it very intresting.

Let me say that all the videos on youtube are very old, they have done a lot of improvements to the animation. Btw, they already released a combat demo for their alpha and beta backers, I donated like 4 weeks ago and I tried the beta and I can tell you that it's really awesome and worth trying.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my hype about this game with you; hopefully those links will inform you better than the video posted by the OP.

Edit: I suggest you to scroll down in the #1 link and read about: World, Combat, Attributes, Skills, Thaumaturgy, Itemization and Multiplayer.

Edited by Vold

I think it's impressive as is, and has great potential. It does indeed harken back to Die By The Sword; or what little we see of it.

This is not a system that I would ever want to see used in an RPG though. While I absolutely loved DBTS, that kind of control shouldn't be in an RPG; although it could really improve a pseudo-RPG like TES; a game where the protagonist is but a thin husk for the player to soon forget about... taking their place in the game world. That kind of control would further the simulation immensely.

Not a good match for PoE ~or any stat driven/class based RPG worth its salt. That's just too much player agency in the way the PC behaves.

Edited by Gizmo

I have played DBTS and SG Combat Demo, and I can tell that there is a world of difference between them.

Considering that in games like PoE you have to control 6 players, it is indeed not a good match for it.

>revolutionary combat system

Another person who doesn't understand the meaning of the word.

Revolution is a drastic and irreversible change of social formation.

A combat system being revolutionary would mean that no gamedev would even think about implementing the old system since the appearance of this one. Which is just a wet dream of yours, and has nothing to do with reality.

This reminds me of the late 00's misuse of the word "epic". Anyway, this combat system is neither epic, nor revolutionary. Unnoticeable is the word you're looking for.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link