Piracy

I hope after reading your own post, you notice how it is ridiculous, that a song from 1935, which might not be an original song after all, is still protected by copyright... But I would not be surprised that some asshat lobbyist will try to for some or another reason to force another extension of copyright and we will not see this song in public domain before 2150...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I hope after reading your own post, you notice how it is ridiculous, that a song from 1935, which might not be an original song after all, is still protected by copyright... But I would not be surprised that some asshat lobbyist will try to for some or another reason to force another extension of copyright and we will not see this song in public domain before 2150...

I didn't say it wasn't ridiculous, I also mentioned that several legal analysts have indicated that they don't think that it'd stand up in court but there hasn't been a challenge mounted.

It wouldn't be the first time that a company claimed a copyright they didn't have and dared anyone to challenge them on it.

I also think the copyright extensions need to end. Active trademark should be sufficient to keep people from interfering with a companies ability to create and sell works on things that they owned that have moved into the public domain if it comes to that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm just saying, that song you mention IS COPYRIGHTED. Whether you want to justify your pirating of it or not I suppose depends on your stance on piracy. If you sang it without paying the rights, YOU ARE A PIRATE!!!

Period.

Justify it as you will.

The idea that it is similar to other items out there is a COMMON THREAD for MOST items that are copyrights. Stating that the computer gameTemple of Elemental Evil was based upon a module that was created by an author decades ago and hence it's copyrights for the computer game run out sooner is similar...and holds just as little water.

Currently the song in question generates at least 2 million dollars a year in HONEST people who pay the copyright.

Now before jumping down my throat, remember my actual stance towards publishers...HOWEVER...I think the song is a PERFECT example of how people will try to justify their own piracy...

but even more so...those who state they are against piracy or anti-piracy...WHEN FACED WITH THEIR OWN HYPOCRISY...will then try to make excuses of WHY THEY ARE NOT PIRATES BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS!!!

"piracy" as it currently stands is FAR easier to commit than most people realize these days due to many stupid laws slapped down. Many of these laws were put down by the same dirty corporations I've been on about...hence they are the true villains here...and probably the worst in copyright violations (as seen by myriads of lawsuits tossed around in hollywood and entertainment circles on copyright infringment on their parts...but they have massive teams of lawyers that fight over these things for years).

Does anyone think it's any wierd item that movies come out with similar themes so closely to each other (remember the volcano and disaster years with Dante's Peak, or volcano or Armageddon and Deep Impact...that was perhaps one of the most flagrant times of studios ripping each other off).

I'm not against the piracy in many cases because the laws are so ridiculous and in some instance almost criminal in how they go counter to the original laws.

I say, take out all the ridiculous stuff put in by the corporations (who typically aren't even the copyright holders...just those issued the right to USE the item under copyright) and the stuff influenced by them and start standing up for the citizens of the nations.

However...for those who are anti-piracy...I'd say 90% are hypocrites and half the time they don't even realize it.

The song we discussed isn't the ONLY item commonly used by people which is copyrighted. There actually is a whole slew of them and unless you stay up and up on what is currently copyrighted and what is not, it's very possible that you, yourself, have pirated something..

so go pay your money correctly, or go turn yourself into the authorities if you are so anti-piracy that you support some of the absolute crazy claims of corporations these days that they are making (such as how they lose millions to piracy, when a LOT of that piracy occurs in places they don't even sell their games at!!!).

PS: What I stated about the corporations is really at the heart of the matter. This is the reason why the copyright for Happy Birthday is enforced and still garners royalties. Entertainment biz is happy to fight each other...but when you get to the smaller businesses and groups, the citizens of which laws are really supposed to protect...it isn't there.

So the big corps make these laws (or more like, pay off and support politicians who will make these laws with the money the corps support those politicians with) , and then hide behnd them while accusing the citizens of breaking them and enforcing their payments (almost like some sort of hustle idea...but with corps instead of gansters).

Basically, the corporations are basing their idea that there is NO ONE rich enough to challenge the ridiculous laws that they put in place, no matter how weak their positions are. This is why some of those EULA's which have absolutely ridiculous conditions in them for game installation haven't been seriously challenged in court, or why some of the other absolutely ridiculous items we deal with in games have't actually been challenged.

This comment from this site

http://volokh.com/author/robertbrauneis/

http://volokh.com/2008/04/30/happy-birthday-iii-why-hasnt-anyone-challenged-the-copyright/

Ultimately, this is not just about one song. There are almost certainly other works out there generating significant licensing income in spite of serious copyright weaknesses. However, I don

Edited by greylord

I'm just saying, that song you mention IS COPYRIGHTED. Whether you want to justify your pirating of it or not I suppose depends on your stance on piracy. If you sang it without paying the rights, YOU ARE A PIRATE!!!

Period.

Justify it as you will.

I'm not sure I agree with the classification of piracy (for it to be applied as how the term has been used in this thread you'd have to have downloaded, say, Marilyn Monroe singing it and not paying for the use in any way); I'd agree that the person has violated the copyright that exists (whether the copyright would stand up to a challenge or not) by creating a new version of the song sung by themselves without paying royalties.

The idea that it is similar to other items out there is a COMMON THREAD for MOST items that are copyrights. Stating that the computer gameTemple of Elemental Evil was based upon a module that was created by an author decades ago and hence it's copyrights for the computer game run out sooner is similar...and holds just as little water.

That wouldn't be the argument, since each "version" of the Temple of Elemental Evil are distinct works copyrightable on their own. The potential undermining of the "Happy Birthday" song comes from it being based on a song that the copyright owners of the Birthday song (or there successors) did not themselves have the rights to and whether or not that earlier song could have been under copyright (because you can copyright new derivative works of things in the public domain but not of copyrighted works).

Now before jumping down my throat

That wasn't the intent with my post; I thought you brought up an interesting situation that I wanted to comment on. Sorry you felt that I was "jumping down your throat" as that wasn't my intent.

"piracy" as it currently stands is FAR easier to commit than most people realize these days due to many stupid laws slapped down. Many of these laws were put down by the same dirty corporations I've been on about...hence they are the true villains here...and probably the worst in copyright violations (as seen by myriads of lawsuits tossed around in hollywood and entertainment circles on copyright infringment on their parts...but they have massive teams of lawyers that fight over these things for years).

Copyright violations are easy to do. Ever copy and forward a funny comic strip to a group of friends? Technically you've moved past "fair use" in republishing a work you don't own the rights to. Ever bought a sticker of Calvin (from "Calvin and Hobbes" peeing on something (like a car logo?). Then you're violating Bill Watterson's copyright (which he's never allowed to be licensed for Calvin and Hobbes ancillary items). Ever wrote fan fiction? Downloaded fan fiction to read? etc.

I'm not sure definition wise if I'd call all copyright violations piracy though (but this could be a semantics argument)

Does anyone think it's any wierd item that movies come out with similar themes so closely to each other (remember the volcano and disaster years with Dante's Peak, or volcano or Armageddon and Deep Impact...that was perhaps one of the most flagrant times of studios ripping each other off).

You can't copyright a generic idea. So there's no rights issue involved (although perhaps some creativity related ones).

I say, take out all the ridiculous stuff put in by the corporations (who typically aren't even the copyright holders...just those issued the right to USE the item under copyright) and the stuff influenced by them and start standing up for the citizens of the nations.

Not really the case for "work for hire" in which case the author is the company (this would include most movies, comic books and comic strips in the US at least).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Australians on the other hand never really cared for peace, they are all descendants of convicts (murderers, rapists and thieves), descendants of the worst human rejects from UK that were sent to Australia. When they came, they started by massacring the native population by millions and deliberately infecting them with smallpox. Having done that, they never really decided to stop. They continued their barbaric practices till the early 20th century, covering up and having each other's backs when it came to killing Aborigines. A true Nazi team play.

Isn't Gorth from Denmark, anyway? Or was it Sweden. Attacking Australia (although you do raise some good points about the genocide the British committed against the aborigines) seems a rather ineffectual and childish strategy. Then again, the modern Australian is also rather ineffectual and childish (how anybody could in good conscious support that Tony Abbott faecal stain is beyond me), so there is a certain perverse symmetry at work.

Australians on the other hand never really cared for peace, they are all descendants of convicts (murderers, rapists and thieves), descendants of the worst human rejects from UK that were sent to Australia. When they came, they started by massacring the native population by millions and deliberately infecting them with smallpox. Having done that, they never really decided to stop. They continued their barbaric practices till the early 20th century, covering up and having each other's backs when it came to killing Aborigines. A true Nazi team play.

Isn't Gorth from Denmark, anyway? Or was it Sweden. Attacking Australia (although you do raise some good points about the genocide the British committed against the aborigines) seems a rather ineffectual and childish strategy. Then again, the modern Australian is also rather ineffectual and childish (how anybody could in good conscious support that Tony Abbott faecal stain is beyond me), so there is a certain perverse symmetry at work.

The point wasn't to criticize Australia or any country for that matter.

I would even pay HBO if it meant I was able to watch Game of Thrones earlier .. It's so annoying that I can't watch some American series when they air in the US and have to wait (sometimes months or in some dire circumstances years) before they come here.

Fortune favors the bald.

At least you live in more "civilised" part of EU where you still get some of the high quality shows few years later... In my country no television has even heard about stuff like Big Bang Theory, IT Crowd, Red Dwarf etc etc... Star Trek and Babylon 5 was last aired like 10 years ago with no chance of rebroadcasting... They started to air first episodes of Dexter this year for example... Only thing we get fresh is CSI and Bones, but they are broadcasting first series for 10th time :/

I can continue with more and more examples...

None of these shows are shipped on DVDs to my country as well due to "regional copyright restrictions"... Your only chance is to buy on e-bay so you still can end with a counterfeit product this way...

One can just hope the suits get that and hopefully they will see lot of muneh opportunities in international audieneces as well. I still do not understand, why are so many US companies so stupid, that they do not wat to provide IP content outside NA...

With HBO it's certainly easy. They sell the internet broadcast rights along with the satellite/ terrestrial broadcast rights. If you wanted to see GoT here on the internet you can (for about a week) but you have to have a subscription to the satellite provider for it (Sky). That's all written into the contracts. If they had HBO webcasting as an option that will significantly impact on the money they get from selling the rights.

Whether they'd make more or less money from directly marketing to other territories I do not know, but it would be considerably more difficult getting their message out since the external rights holders do a lot of the marketing themselves and hence drive demand for things like DVDs. Otherwise you are largely relying on 'word of mouth'- which is not as bad now as five years ago, but you still require a lot of talk to get the hype train running.

I don't freaking believe it!!!

Don't know what to think!?

I was on youtube looking to see walkthroughs of people who were actually playing Diablo 3, everything is still beta walkthroughs. That sort of stinks.

However, instead they have a bucket load of how to pirate diablo 3 videos. I'm like...what???!!!

Apparantly according to them they after changing their IP and some other configuration files they can play the game with monsters NPCs and there's a file called Local Battle.net that they unlock which they can play MP with. It doesn't unlock all the WPs though. This according to their configuration videos and then they're playing of it.

If so, WTH! I thought the Monster, actions, and NPC files were on Blizzard servers and not the disk. If it's on disk...than it's BS what Blizzard has been feeding us on it being on the servers.

What's even crazier is that they have all these videos on You Tube. All I wanted to find was someone playing the game and what they thought of it as they played it...not several pages after page of Walkthroughs of how to pirate the game (actually put in Diablo 3 Full Game after getting all sorts of Beta walkthroughs...didn't want to view the beta, wanted to view someone playing the real thing). what is this, open season to post how to pirate games on a major site?

Not what I wanted, not what I was looking for, but eye opening. It appears these videos started getting posted about a week ago, they've been up for 4-5 days! I'm curious why they are left up?

Not something I would do, have no desire to utilize any of these, but it blows my mind if these hackers actually have working SP and MP games amid all the trouble Blizzard is having keeping their servers going in Europe.

I don't freaking believe it!!!

Don't know what to think!?

I was on youtube looking to see walkthroughs of people who were actually playing Diablo 3, everything is still beta walkthroughs. That sort of stinks.

However, instead they have a bucket load of how to pirate diablo 3 videos. I'm like...what???!!!

Don't believe anything regarding piracy found on youtube.

Videos such as this will likely be scams trying to get you to register somewhere or fill a survey.

If pirating such a title like D3 will become possible the fix will hit torrent sites first.

If you want footage for a brand new game, check out sites like ustream.tv and justin.tv instead of YT.

Yup. Altho there is some up on YT by now as well. Just be sure to filter search results by "uploaded today". Some people upload their ustreams to YT when done, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you want footage for a brand new game, check out sites like ustream.tv and justin.tv instead of YT.

Yup. Altho there is some up on YT by now as well. Just be sure to filter search results by "uploaded today". Some people upload their ustreams to YT when done, too.

How do you do the filter?

On YT? Two ways: type a comma, then the word today after your search terms. example: diablo 3 gameplay, today

Or, once a search has been done, there's a small "Filter" clickable box/arrow above the list of results. Click it and you'll see options, one of which is "Upload date."

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On YT? Two ways: type a comma, then the word today after your search terms. example: diablo 3 gameplay, today

Or, once a search has been done, there's a small "Filter" clickable box/arrow above the list of results. Click it and you'll see options, one of which is "Upload date."

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty good indication of how the entertainment industry values their own products:

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/63944

They demand 72 trillion dollars from Limewire (whatever the hell that is) for 11000 illegally downloaded songs. The entire wealth of the world is 60 trillion dollars..

I do not condone piracy, but when entertainment companies calculate how much money they have lost due to illegal downloading.. Well, let's just say that they're not employing any Nobel prize winning mathematicians.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The goal was probably more to make a statement than expecting to be awarded all the money in the world. I suppose it was still worth trying just on the off chance they'd be awarded the full amount though, a bit like the lottery,

Edited by Serrano

The goal was probably more to make a statement than expecting to be awarded all the money in the world. I suppose it was still worth trying just on the off chance they'd be awarded the full amount though, a bit like the lottery,

There's a statutory range of damages for copyright violations in US law. And it is rather high ($750-$30,000 per violation, or up to $150,000 if the violation was willful), to ensure that nobody figures out a way to profit off of copyright violations even with the fines added in as a cost of doing business. In pleading a case, you state the highest possible amount of damages that you could possibly be awarded, because you can't get anything that you don't first ask for. And if they can only actually prove one of those thousands of alleged violations, they want to get the highest possible amount of damages that they can.