Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

A game of tags

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9573 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I didn't know Citizen Kane was still regarded as some kind of paragon of film making.

It was, to put it in words I hope to never use again, a "revolution." The first major step into being a deeper art form.

Or so they say.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Civilization 5 to expand.
Apparently new addon will reintroduce religion and improve diplomacy.

So after alienating the fan-base and milking the title with numerous DLCs they decided to put back thing that previous game shipped with.
That ship had sailed IMO.

They're getting my money.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Last I checked movies were still using techniques first seen in Citizen Kane?

After all I've heard about it, I really should watch that movie some day.

if you don't know a lot about cinematography and mise-en-scene it will just be a great movie, nothing more. but considering the technique on display for the year it was released, yeah it was revolutionary in a lot of ways. or if not revolutionary, at least exemplary. fritz lang's M was 10 years earlier and provided some framework imo

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3210 posts

trust me... by today's standards it's nothing special, unless you're a film school student or a critic. Citizen Cane was the most boring movie I'd seen in a long time, I never watched it all the way to the end, couldn't bring myself to

Edited by sorophx, 16 February 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

trust me... by today's standards it's nothing special, unless you're a film school student or a critic. Citizen Cane was the most boring movie I'd seen in a long time, I never watched it all the way to the end, couldn't bring myself to

:lol:

Ok, maybe I should give it a pass...

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2134 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So after alienating the fan-base and milking the title with numerous DLCs they decided to put back thing that previous game shipped with.

Mine to.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4029 posts
  • Gold Backer

Mine to.

I'm in.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
Nice to see people are enthusiastic about this Civ 4 pack for Civ 5.

There's nothing like paying for what you once got for free.

Which would be the history of gaming in a nutshell.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5396 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Eh, will be interesting to see how the new guy handles it. Shafer got carried away with his Panzer General love or something.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7219 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Civ 5 brought a lot of great stuff to the table, so I doubt it alienated all that many fans. Is every Civ supposed to be the same?

I'll admit I still prefer 4 more, but 5 was still a great game. The expansion might put it ahead of 4 if they pull it off well.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5396 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, great stuff to you so that's easy for you to think. I don't think they pissed half their fans off, but did get a general sense of disappointment with it from the CivFanatics forum. I did get that sort of vibe when playing it, 1UPT was a good change - carpets of doom > stacks of such (still think a happy medium would have been better, but whatever), city states, not so much. I'll give the expansion a go, was a sucker and bought the CE for Civ V after all :)

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3210 posts
I still prefer Civ II :unsure:

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2375 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't think I could pick one Civ as my favorite. It's been ages since I played the first game and Civ 3 is the only one I don't really like that much.

Civ 2, 4 and 5 are all great games in my opinion, and they all have their flaws as well. I played 4 a *lot* and while I do miss some things from it in 5, there are certain things in 5 that they changed that makes it really hard to go back. The warfare probably being the main one.

That said, the support for 5 hasn't been that impressive I think. Will take a wait and see approach on the expansion, though I have to admit that it's nice that it *is* an expansion. Hopefully it'll be good.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5147 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Last I checked movies were still using techniques first seen in Citizen Kane?

I highly recommend it. It still stands on its own legs by today's standards. The story is captivating and the characters are well written and acted.

P.S. it is only boring as Planescape: Torment was boring. Either you like or you don't.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5622 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Origins of Fallout - Part 1 by Scott Campbell

Second part is up.

And now the third part too.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3210 posts
loved the "Irvine Utopia" bit

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
Alpha Centauri leaves all Civ games in the dust. Everything that came after it is inadequate, just a paint job on a rusty, rickety truck. Morgan industries demands innovation!
  • Rosbjerg likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8772 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I tried Alpha Centauri recently, and it left me cold. Just seemed to play exactly like Civ, except a lot less intuitive due to the sci-fi-ness, some cool flavour text, a few cool minor features. Will have another go at some point though, great games have proven my first impressions wrong before.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4022 posts
It's easily my favorite in the series and I still play it to this day.. The story/novel with Planet that pop up once in a while gets tedious after the 6th play through though. :)

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5396 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Still have never seen the one popup where your aide gets torched by the enemy as she was a mind worm handler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users