What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Oh yeah!  I had forgotten the username Lord Jim entirely, but remember the incident itself well.

Speaking of fun times, remember when Brotherhood of Steel was announced on a Friday and chaos reigned over the weekend?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh yeah!  I had forgotten the username Lord Jim entirely, but remember the incident itself well.

Speaking of fun times, remember when Brotherhood of Steel was announced on a Friday and chaos reigned over the weekend?

We had to fight hard to prevent Interplay from axing the entire Fallout section and every other day someone else from the community became mod and tried to reign them in. Speaks volumes when they were perfectly willing to keep YoP and it's myriad political flame wars (speaking of which, remember Yrkoon and Crucis?) but would have almost ditched the Fallout forums after that.

Fun times indeed.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I didn't remember that about the GD name either.  I do remember the controversy over naming stuff after forum members.  And of course the whole Lanfear leaving the boards thing over how her name and Coran were used in BG2.

lanfear kerfuffle were almost the definition o' banal cliché. nobody is shocked when it is discovered the german girl has no sense of humor.  sure, is utter predictable in retrospect, but disappointing even so.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Speaking of the Coffee Shop, I found an old transcript while looking for the Lord Jim screenshot.

It's a minor exchange that I copy/pasted, no screenshots sadly. =/

'Twas a fun situation when Yrkoon found out that Lady Ayanami aka Goldenbell had more, uhm, land down south than she should have. *cough*

The Goldenbell Fallout!

Starring:

Redrake as the Romanian dense lawyer

Tingeling as the initiator

Yrkoon as the fooled one

Maji as the one who warns

Fluffy Doc, as he who once was Goldenbell

The location:

Tarna’s Coffee Shop

The time:

10:57 PM

The dense lawyer enters the room and leaves the door open, and, as usual, blunts into the already ongoing conversation. A debate has been raging so far about how to deal with Andy the Internet Troll.

Redrake: I'm not signing that. I'm the one who informed Andy about the existence of this board in the first place.

Tingeling (to Redrake): Why am I not suprised by one worthless waste of space bringing others of its kind?

Maji (to Redrake): I always knew that Andy was too dumb to be for real, but that it is an alt of you is... surprising, to say the least. This round goes to the blunt gardening tool.

Redrake, wittingly replying to Tingeling: Because you are one yourself?

Tingeling, retorting: The wit, it doth truly burn like no other! Keep honkerin' with the one-liners, bud.

Redrake: Get real! I'm not trolling with a wet-behind-ears anime lover. Get back to your Goldenbell fanclub.

Fluffy Doc (addressing nobody in particular): for once I agree with the lawyer (editor’s note, in the ongoing conversation were three – 3 – lawyers involved).

Yrkoon (to the gathered group): !!! Now there's a blast from the past.  What happened to our lovley Lady Ayanami/Goldenbell anyway?

Maji: Before I answer, I shall ask you: Do you really want to know?

Tingeling (to Yrkoon): Oh man, there's a story that really should be left dead and buried, lest its stupidity infect you, too.

Yrkoon, not heeding the warnings: Yes.

Maji (to Yrkoon): Goldenbell's real name is Tim. Do I need to go on?

Yrkoon: GAH!!!

Maji: Well, just don't say you haven't been warned.

Redrake, too late as always: Let's just say that I didn't call Fluffy the resident transvestite without a reason.

Maji (to Redrake): Stop trying to profile yourself as the harbinger of information. Why do you post this redundant nonsense?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Bunch of weirdos

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oby was this guy that used to make very OTT anti-western posts and generally wind up people.  Well only a couple people fell for it, I rather enjoyed some of his posts - I remember he put up a cool drawing/painting of a suicide bomber approaching soldiers on a tank.   You can explore his legend via Google

https://www.google.com/search?&q=obyknven+site%3Aforums.obsidian.net

Thank you! Guess I'll be diving into one hell of a rabbit hole after work today. :thumbsup:

You can find out about Qistina and Eldar if you're so inclined. Just keep in mind that Qistina was always deadly serious while oby at least... well... we're not entirely sure oby was for real. He might have been an early prototype Russian posting AI.

For some inexplicable reason, I thought "Eldar" was HoonDing, but I guess not. Thank you for the links. More diving ahead!

About the net forgetting things, to be fair, the net was a completely different beast twenty years ago. :p

The internet. Nothing has changed.

I think I've changed more than the internet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a screenshot around here somewhere with a post from him from when he banned The Pope.

s2CUiHZ.jpg

is so many things wrong 'bout this post, but the one thing which is setting off our ocd like extreme poison sumac exposure is the lord jim signature quote.

"you don't tug on superman's cap."

honest, we never bothered paying attention to moderators or interplay/black isle off-topic, but superman's cap? how long was signature thus? nobody said nothing?

makes our brain itch.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I did a group ride today and got dropped super fast. I was trying to catch up on a downhill and started skidding out, so I decided it was safest to fall back. It was humbling, but I've got some goals to work on. Still managed to get a beer at the end, so that is a victory.

Im pretty sure this was Lord Jim sig:

"You don't tug on superman's cape

You don't spit into the wind

You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger

And you don't mess around with Jim"

:lol:

I miss Italian Warlord. Never broke character once. 

(troll, he was a troll)

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I bought a house... well we close next month.

But still I have a 3 bed 2 bath house with a sauna.

• Like 6

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

is so many things wrong 'bout this post, but the one thing which is setting off our ocd like extreme poison sumac exposure is the lord jim signature quote.

honest, we never bothered paying attention to moderators or interplay/black isle off-topic, but superman's cap? how long was signature thus? nobody said nothing?

makes our brain itch.

HA! Good Fun!

Given that s/he was banning long time users for posting any complaints - even civil ones - I imagine most of us were of the opinion that pointing out the gaffe in the sig would have been a banning offense so we gritted our teeth and ignored it.  But it DID bug me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

makes our brain itch.

HA! Good Fun!

Given that s/he was banning long time users for posting any complaints - even civil ones - I imagine most of us were of the opinion that pointing out the gaffe in the sig would have been a banning offense so we gritted our teeth and ignored it.  But it DID bug me.

in retrospect, it is kinda shocking we never got our self banned from interplay/black isle/obsidian boards.  had more than one run-in with the developers over the years, not to mention a few moderators.  

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun! 

I bought a house... well we close next month.

But still I have a 3 bed 2 bath house with a sauna.

Congrats!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Boy am I done. Heard some yelling and stuff from the neighbors above me again. Nothing unusual, it happens every once in a while. This time, though, it went "Let me out! Let me out, let me out!" for about 20 minutes or what from the daughter, which was weird. Then it switches to yelling for help. "Help! Help! Help!" etc... terrifying.

At this point I got nervous and started walking up and down, wondering if I should call the police... Went outside instead, where I've met a neighbor already standing. At the exact same time, another neighbor came around the corner. Now being a group of three, we decided to go up and check out what's going on...

... well, ****. So the mother has cancer since 4 years and is now very likely not coming back home. The daughter is 19 and apparently "a little bit behind", so not very autonomous. This in combination with some other factors are the result of all the yelling. By now the situation has cooled down. One of my neighbors was pretty good at talking to them. I'm happy and relieved that he was able to diffuse the situation. Now it's quite again and everyone went back home (it's 00:11 here now).

Man, would be fancy if I had the ability to speak to other people like that. Simple truth is, my social anxiety or lack of empathy and experience prevents me from doing any of that in a meaningful way. I should check out if there are any books I can learn from. Guess I could do some googling tomorrow, got nothing better to do in my vacation right now anyway.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Voted in the provincial election today, was surprised that we have a Libertarian and a Communist on the ballot.  Sadly we still use first past the post which sucks as your vote is pointless unless you happen to be in a contested riding, mine is solidly NDP and even though we flipped Liberal in the Federal, that ain't happening with the Liberals being a wreck and the PC candidate being meshback trash.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Absolutely nothing to do today. But since i have no projects I have no excuse to leave the office. So I'm sitting here trying to looks busy all the while pondering the deep questions of life.

• Do people with Boanthropy really think they are cows or are they faking it?
  • Why do Sunny's paws smell like fritos?
  • Why are Kesai's such lousy characters in BG1?
  • How much did the Death Star cost? Come to that why didn't they fix the obvious engineering flaws: a reactor they can't shut down, that destroys the whole thing when compromised yet is accessible from the surface? Really bad design.
  • Can a bear have a nightmare that lasts all winter?
  • Rice Chex are not really made out of rice are they?
  • Who invented meatball subs?
  • Is it lunch time yet?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell