What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Huh, I didn't know that about GD name. I just thought it was because he really loves his dogs.

Well, in a round about way it's true. I love dogs and I used to bring that guard dog with me because the idea of having a pet in NWN appealed. Even though he either died or left me before I could get through the prison. But I picked the name to use on the Bioware boards to have a little fun with Tobias and a few others. The when Obsidian announced KOTOR2 i came here and kept using it since there were so many Bioware board folks. I also used it at Free Republic and DU before getting banned at both. And at the other D&D game that came out a few years ago and was a total abortion. Obviously once their game came out  and we all got a look at it most folks abandoned that board real quick.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I didn't remember that about the GD name either.  I do remember the controversy over naming stuff after forum members.  And of course the whole Lanfear leaving the boards thing over how her name and Coran were used in BG2.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That means nothing to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I feel like every forum profile should come with a business card or something.

EDIT: Also, quick googling only leads me to this:

obysign.JPG

Oby was this guy that used to make very OTT anti-western posts and generally wind up people.  Well only a couple people fell for it, I rather enjoyed some of his posts - I remember he put up a cool drawing/painting of a suicide bomber approaching soldiers on a tank.   You can explore his legend via Google

https://www.google.com/search?&q=obyknven+site%3Aforums.obsidian.net

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I didn't remember that about the GD name either.  I do remember the controversy over naming stuff after forum members.  And of course the whole Lanfear leaving the boards thing over how her name and Coran were used in BG2.

I don't know why she got in a twist about that. I thought the whole werewolf thing in BG2 was one of the greatest inside jokes of all time. A close second being when you hire the party of low level adventures to go fetch something in ToB.

BTW, wasn't Morte also named for a forum member? I seem to remember that.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Don't remember Morte being named for the user, I thought the user took the name.  Could be wrong though as I didn't follow PSTs development all that closely (I think PST released prior to BIS boards launching and I was only a lurker on the threaded Interplay forum that preceded the BIS boards but my memory may be wrong on that).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maybe Oby was fired from the russian propaganda institution because we didn't took him serious enough. Kinda makes me feel bad.

:biggrin:   Well he never convinced me about one thing, he was very anti-Western

He was like Zora but prone to incredulous, unsubstantiated  and incoherent  ramblings about " Westlings " and " pure  white races living in tribes in mountains "    :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oby was this guy that used to make very OTT anti-western posts and generally wind up people.  Well only a couple people fell for it, I rather enjoyed some of his posts - I remember he put up a cool drawing/painting of a suicide bomber approaching soldiers on a tank.   You can explore his legend via Google

Thank you! Guess I'll be diving into one hell of a rabbit hole after work today. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thank you! Guess I'll be diving into one hell of a rabbit hole after work today. :thumbsup:

You can find out about Qistina and Eldar if you're so inclined. Just keep in mind that Qistina was always deadly serious while oby at least... well... we're not entirely sure oby was for real. He might have been an early prototype Russian posting AI.

There'd be so much more to show but, to borrow from PS:T, time lays waste to all things. Especially forum posts. When people say that the net never forgets a thing they have no idea what they're talking about. I remember hilarious posts from Andy at tarna's coffee shop - and Ashford City, for a time. Two of the Interplay replacement boards that sprang up after we lost our second home to Herve's Cataclysm. He constantly kept trolling everyone and claimed Viet Nam is actually spelled Veit Nam.

Times like these I wish the 'net wouldn't forget so much.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

How many replacement boards did we get out of BIS and Interplay?  Ashford City, Mistress Lair, Shamrock Isle, tarna's coffee shop...?

How many replacement boards did we get out of BIS and Interplay?  Ashford City, Mistress Lair, Shamrock Isle, tarna's coffee shop...?

Winterwind (aka 1888). Although that's pretty dead at the moment wiht Josan being all busy and married.

G3 made his own forum which is still going but it's private and invitation only, so we're not supposed to share the link. Silverbow is still there and posts every now and then. If you like I can ask him, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind you having the link.

Gabrielle was there too IIRC. Her mods for BG2 were there at least.

Thomas Sowell

oby's no longer around? I didn't even notice. Shows how much I pay attention these days.

I think it's been something like 12 years off and on for me. I can't believe that much time has gone by. Well, I can (looks in the mirror) but you know what I mean. I do remember the old old boards which I was a part of for a while as well, but the memory is so faded and I don't recall anyone I met there being here. Mostly because I don't recall names probably. I don't even remember what handle/name I used on those old places.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh yeah, Winterwind. 

I didn't count MistressLair Redux, since it only exists because Missy got out of the business of promoting our goofing about, but I guess you could. :p

Don't remember who G3 was?  That said nice to know Silverbow (I'm guessing that's Petrond Silverbow from BIS) is still around somewhere.

Didn't someone try to spin one of the BIS Inns into its own forum?

Oh yeah, Winterwind. 

I didn't count MistressLair Redux, since it only exists because Missy got out of the business of promoting our goofing about, but I guess you could. :p

Don't remember who G3 was?  That said nice to know Silverbow (I'm guessing that's Petrond Silverbow from BIS) is still around somewhere.

Didn't someone try to spin one of the BIS Inns into its own forum?

G3N13 aka. G3 was the guy with the upside down Xzar avatar. He was active at Interplay's Baldur's Gate forums and later went to Ashford City and left after Barren made a WoW subforum at Lord Tingeling's request. Things were weird there until Barren's hoster just died and had no backups. And yeah, Silvy is Peterond Silverbow from BIS.

I'm not sure the original Lair should be counted either, itwasn't exactly a replacement board because Interplay was far from sinking when she made her own after some community drama. I'm no longer sure what that was about, I think it was YoP and how that "cesspool of flamewars" stained the boards but damned if I know if that caused her and Tess to leave and do their own thing or not.

Extremist disappearead at the same time due to an accident, not sure if you remember.

Were you still a moderator when Kitty (no longer know her full nick or name, Katherine something? community manager from Interplay) managed to get us free games for moderating and we all picked Lionheart of all things? :w00t:

edit:

I think I asked you that Lionheart question before and you said no. Stupid brain!

Edited by majestic

with the upside down Xzar avatar.

The only BG1 forum I remember was the oldstyle one with no avatars and that threaded BB like format. I think I recall when they shut that one down but I never went to the new ones, or didn't stay for long, or something.

Ah, the early days of game forum-ing. I used to spend a lot of time at a Ceasar3 forum and a DK1 forum and ... 'net seemed a lot calmer and more rational back then overall. Probably wasn't tho and it's just my nostalgia.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

with the upside down Xzar avatar.

The only BG1 forum I remember was the oldstyle one with no avatars and that threaded BB like format. I think I recall when they shut that one down but I never went to the new ones, or didn't stay for long, or something.

Ah, the early days of game forum-ing. I used to spend a lot of time at a Ceasar3 forum and a DK1 forum and ... 'net seemed a lot calmer and more rational back then overall. Probably wasn't tho and it's just my nostalgia.

Yeah, Interplay opened up custom avatars for everyone when they closed down the Black Isle boards and created the new Interplay forums. The Lord Jim incident followed shortly thereafter.

I never really encountered that crowd, I only started lurking around here during the Alpha Protocol delays...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hah, I always read G3N13 as Genie and never equated it with G3. :sweat:  I can't say I knew them very well.

I dunno, I count Missy's just because a lot of people were jumping ship at the time. I remember Saint Proverbius inviting me to the RPG Codex at some point near the end of BIS or Interplay.  I'm pretty sure it was the end of BIS as I believe i knew about the Codex when the announcement of the action game Brotherhood of Steel happened that caused such a ruckus that was during the interplay forums period.

Remember when BIS announced custom avatars if you reached a certain post count and Ross Witchen spammed the forum to get his post count there?  Good times.  That said I'm not sure I remember the Lord Jim Incident...? 

Yeah I got no free games from Interplay during my brief modship there. I can understand everyone asking for Lionheart - it had a solid premise and I think we were all excited about it.

EDIT: I wonder how Pirotess and Preacher are doing as well.  And well any of the old crowd who don't post here regularly.

...and now I feel old. :shrugz:

Don't worry old man. In your case it's true.

:biggrin:

edit:

Lord Jim was Interplay's original site admin when they closed down the BIS board. He started banning people left and right and told them to screw themselves if they had a problem. Interplay removed him from his post rather quickly, but he certainly didn't help during the transition phase...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1