Beta IV - General Feedback [The Good // The Bad]

[FIRST ROUND OF FEEDBACK]

Feel free to Share your Goodies & Baddies.

The Good :

• Might // Resolve coming back
  • 2 Pts when reaching new Power Lvl for Single Class characters
  • Speed Sliders // Overall Pace of Combat improvement // Casting Times.
  • Ship Combat per Turns instead of per Rounds feels better to me.
  • UI Improvements [Empowering, Uncheck Inventory Items, Etc, looks prettier]
  • More Passives ! [Overall but Specially for Spiritshift Subclass who needed this the most for me]  :thumbsup:
  • Optimization : The Game's loadings were already Quick. It now loads even quicker, & goes back to the main screen quicker aswell for me. Exit to Windows is welcome aswell !

The Bad :

• I'm still uncomfortable with that Source Pool thing... The whole thing. I think I kinda hate it.  :lol:
  • I hope some Gear helps to increase that pool... Because as a Rogue : Gouging Strike + Smoke Veil & you're done, unless you Empower. I don't know I'd like kind of a Mix, between the former "Set of use", like : You got 2 Gouging Stikes per Encounter, 1 Strike the Bell, 3 Venimous Strikes. & Then, you could "Recharge this Set of Use" when you Empower yourself. But I don't know, I have to wrap my head around that.
  • WARNING : I don't really like the new Central Button. I liked it when the whole "Ring" was clickable to Pause // Unpause, now the pause  button is really tiny & not handy. Plus the Out of Combat Fast / Slow Triggers, were better on the outside of the ring, rather that inside as it is now. Combat Slider is fine.
  • About New Passives : Still think its good, but I expected them to be more "Thought Out".
  • Like for Spiritshifters : Who thought it'd be a good idea to put the Single Handed // Two Handed // Dual Wielding // More Sets of Weapons Passives ??? For a Shifter ? Come on, no one will ever pick that ! Give it some Fighters / Monks Passives already !
  • It's a Shifter ! It uses his Claws / Horns / Whatever, none of these Passives fits what a Shifter really uses !
  • Sounds like "Let's add more Passives to Spiritshifters, but pick the ones that make the least sense..."  :p 

Even though I don't like some things // changes between POE I & II, I do think it's going into the right direction.

As for that the whole "Source" Concept, I think I'm gonna need to learn how to enjoy it in context, from Level One, into the Real / Entire Game.

Right now I can't do it... I just f**king hate it, like... to the bones.  :p

EDIT : I have a 21:9 aspect ratio, previous beta builds used to have my resolutions. But now, they're just not here anymore ? Everything is stretched & look s ugly, quite unplayable in these conditions. Just a Bug I guess.

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 6

The Good :

• Might // Resolve coming back
  • 2 Pts when reaching new Power Lvl for Single Class characters
  • Speed Sliders // Overall Pace of Combat improvement // Casting Times.
  • Ship Combat per Turns instead of per Rounds feels better to me.
  • UI Improvements [Empowering, Uncheck Inventory Items, Etc, looks prettier]
  • More Passives ! [Overall but Specially for Spiritshift Subclass who needed this the most for me]  :thumbsup:

+ Druids get one spell for free for every Power Level

Generally, I'm very happy with the new version. It's really well polished and they listened to all the feedback. First I appreciated the changes to Resolve, but learned to dislike it with time, so I'm also happy they changed it back. What I liked the most is that now single-class characters are actually valid, with the added passives and extra skill for every Power Level.

One thing that bothers me, but could be a bug, is that characters now seem to slide around during battles, when enemies move nearby. That's probably to avoid collision with pathfinding, but it's really annoying when characters who are engaging mobs of enemies just get "pushed" aside for no reason and suddenly expose my squishier characters.

• Like 1

[*]WARNING : I don't really like the new Central Button. I liked it when the whole "Ring" was clickable to Pause // Unpause, now the pause  button is really tiny & not handy. Plus the Out of Combat Fast / Slow Triggers, were better on the outside of the ring, rather that inside as it is now. Combat Slider is fine.

Wait.. you click those? That’s a dedicated for skill based gameplay I am not sure I should admire or pity:-). “Space” is your best friend.

I found slider a bit tricky to precisely operate but I am sure there are shortcuts for it. I like the speed of those extra 4 settings.

• Like 3

Yeah I do, but you gotta take this in context. Sometimes I just lay on my bed & play chill, only with the mouse. [No keyboard on my legs or whatever]

That's when this current Central Button comes to not being handy. The original or previous beta build design would solve it.

Or simply make this one bigger. [There's enough free space for that]

Yeah Sliders are a bit tricky, I think it's also because it's too small & not easy to use.

• Like 1

[*]WARNING : I don't really like the new Central Button. I liked it when the whole "Ring" was clickable to Pause // Unpause, now the pause  button is really tiny & not handy. Plus the Out of Combat Fast / Slow Triggers, were better on the outside of the ring, rather that inside as it is now. Combat Slider is fine.

Wait.. you click those? That’s a dedicated for skill based gameplay I am not sure I should admire or pity:-). “Space” is your best friend.

I know a guy who played through the entirety of BG totally unaware that pause-and-play was a thing. Just real time the whole way through. It's pretty amazing what people can accomplish rofl

• Like 10

Yeah I do, but you gotta take this in context. Sometimes I just lay on my bed & play chill, only with the mouse. [No keyboard on my legs or whatever]

That's when this current Central Button comes to not being handy. The original or previous beta build design would solve it.

Or simply make this one bigger. [There's enough free space for that]

Yeah Sliders are a bit tricky, I think it's also because it's too small & not easy to use.

THIS GAME SHOULD BE OPTIMIZED FOR DEX’S WEIRD LAYING DOWN PLAY SESSIONS

:p

• Like 3

One thing that bothers me, but could be a bug, is that characters now seem to slide around during battles, when enemies move nearby. That's probably to avoid collision with pathfinding, but it's really annoying when characters who are engaging mobs of enemies just get "pushed" aside for no reason and suddenly expose my squishier characters.

That's kinda of a problem...

I didn't notice it, did it led to break you Fighter Engagement ?

Like, you know, your Fighter got pushed so far from the target he engaged that it broke the Engagement ?

You guys... xD

Honestly, having a keyboard sitting on your legs for a Multi-Hour Gameplay Session, & the palm of your hand applying pressure :

It does f**king hurt on the long run ! That bad, that I actually have to put it aside.  :lol:

EDIT : Seriously, I'm not even kidding. It's happening right now as I'm typing !  ;(

Edited by DexGames

The Good:

Might/Resolve

More Passives

Sounds Better

Better Performance

Player Starts with 3 types of fine armor, lessening the need to console command to get gear they would likely be outfitted with like Plate armor for a front-liner

The Bad:

Still no information on weapons with proficiency selection

Multi-classes now get less ability points than single classes and a wider pool to spread it around, this puts them at a slight disadvantage, especially if someone new doesn't build with synergy in mind.

The Ugly:

The Hair.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There are old good and bad points, but I only tell the change-related, or the non-change related.

GOOD

- MIGHT. Might coming back. Good for Cipher and Druids. Globally a good idea.

- PASSIVES AND SINGLE CLASS. More passives for single class. Better balancing for them.

- SPEED SLIDER. Speed Sliders. Even if, now I think I can play without slow mode. So the first intention wasn't has such a bad idea... BUT Overall, everybody has the choice now. Sometimes can be useful with a lot of ennemies and a risk of sudden double attack. Side note : slow mode seems to be very slow now... (Melee and caster are naturally slower in POE2)

- UI. UI Improvements. Empower slot is beautiful.

- [EDIT] CASTING SPEED. -Globally- far more satisfaying now.

BAD

- RESOLVE. Resolve is now again globally a dump stat (for me)

- SHIP COMBAT. Ship combat (Ship to ship with textual battle) is always a coming disaster at the release date (for me)

- BALANCING. Few weird balancing. A) 2-3 power source for rogue for an "ok effect" but absolutely not a "crazy effect". (2 power source is already HUGE atm)

B) 3 seconds for a fireball (good !) but 6 seconds for essential phantom which is a kind of overtime effect. So deserve a better treatment than instant effect like instant damage.

C) I don't repeat my opinion on all subclasses, or all powers, check the corresponding topic for "problems" that I consider already present in BB1, 2 and 3.

- NEW PASSIVES New Passives are slightly disappointing, I was expecting better for each classes. It is extremely general. And often, I return to my old choice. Result : Nothing has really changed. Not really new "creative" passives I want to say. One among three martial is good for melee who wasn't Fighter, and few good things for casters (10 % of casting speed + 20 % of area of effect). Globally OK for single, neutral for the rest.

- MODALS.  Modals always WTF. -50 % recovery for unarmed against 2 penetration. Lol... I stay on my position : An evolution with points (3 stages of evolution : acqusition, then +Bonus, then -malus) could be a better idea. (despite the black warning in the character creation screen, "that all weapons can be used". It's a wishful vow, too few people will do it...).

- STACKING RULES. Few incomprehension with stacking rules. Paladin + Fighter. Oh it is too bad, my aura and my personnal skill doesn't stack. What is the interrest to pick both in multiclass ? OR even without one guy, but more in a team division/optimization ? With ONE single paladin and 4 fighters single for example. Personnal stance +5 accuracy is totally useless for everyone, or Paladin can't choose accuracy. Weird choice I think. Stacking rules are definitely not fun in Pillars of Eternity.

- WEIRD MIXING (SOUND). It is perhaps me, Maybe I'm used to original musical themes, but I think there are few doubtful re-mixing theme in BB4. (To confirm with others testimonials)

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

I'm trying sone build with the rogue. With smoke clud (2 guile!) you became invis now ( 5 sec, not much), wich open nontheless good possibilities for assassination abuse ( hit, smoke cloud, hit, ecc). Atm tesing wich multiclass is better: ranger for wounding shot, barb for carnage + barbaric blow, paladin for FoD. All seems promising.

Ah and might is now compulsory for a rogue, since it have mutiplicative effect ( after backstab, assassination, sneack attack, ecc)

I don't know why you would ever pick Shadowing Beyond when you can use Smoke Cloud. I really start to dislike that different active abilities compete for resource points (like Guile). I will only pick one active ability, maybe two and the rest is passives. I liked the old per-encounter system better. It would be different if you could somehow regain resource points (like Monks/Ciphers/Corpse Eaters can). And I don't mean Empower.

• Like 9

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Am I doing stuff wrong, or are two handed weapons really underpowered right now? Recovery is endless, and with all the interrupts going on, my Witch often fails to strike more than once or twice before going down. On top, armor penetration of two handed sword and estoc (without modal) is ridiculous in comparison to one handed weapons. Dual wielding gets equal or better pen, at least same accuracy, lower recovery (much lower with the dual wield talent)... there's simply nothing going for two handed weapons, or am I missing something?

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

I don't know why you would ever pick Shadowing Beyond when you can use Smoke Cloud. I really start to dislike that different active abilities compete for resource points (like Guile). I will only pick one active ability, maybe two and the rest is passives. I liked the old per-encounter system better. It would be different if you could somehow regain resource points (like Monks/Ciphers/Corpse Eaters can). And I don't mean Empower.

Resource points by class makes it overcomlicated. I would apreciate merge all the resources to one type. One pool. It could somehow solve shortage of one type.

I agree with you. In the end having a resource pool (es: 5 guile) vs a per encounter limit ( es: 2 per encounter) turned out to have 2 defects, in my opinion

1) you can do overall less things per encounter compared to poe1 ( if you use any "high cost ability")

2) you can spam low cost abilities lot of times ( es: paladin FoD now: is very hard to compel yourself in spending points in any other active ability, is simply not worth it)

Moreover there are some class (es: monk) with 2 different pools ( mortification / wounds) wich feels a bit strange