The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

I've heard it repeated a few times that in the era the 2nd Amendment was drafted the standard firearm was smooth bore muskets. So THAT is the arms they founders meant for us to bear. Well, apparently even THAT isn't allowed in Elk Grove CA :http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/02/19/gun-laws-civil-war-reenactment/

:lol:  Purely for humor purposes.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I enjoyed reading Clarence Thomas's impassioned dissent at the SCOTUS decision not to intervene in the suit involving California's waiting period. There is a link in the article. It's a long read but worth it: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/clarence-thomas-rips-high-courts-decision-not-to-hear-case-challenging-california-gun-law-second-amendment-is-disfavored-right/article/2649503

However, a 10 day waiting period does not seem like that big a deal to me. If you want to avoid it go buy your firearm in Nevada. You have to choose your battles. This isn't so onerous as to be worth fighting over.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've heard it repeated a few times that in the era the 2nd Amendment was drafted the standard firearm was smooth bore muskets. So THAT is the arms they founders meant for us to bear. Well, apparently even THAT isn't allowed in Elk Grove CA :http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/02/19/gun-laws-civil-war-reenactment/

:lol:  Purely for humor purposes.

Rifling did exist then, it just wasn't particularily commonplace, and there were problems with residue gunking it up.

Anyways, it seems a little silly to block the use of it in a historical re-enactment, stage blanks are a thing.... The article does mention that they didn't have any problems before now, so, it's just this particular city council being obtuse or something.

If you go fishing for logic in the halls of government you're going to have an empty net. 

Thomas Sowell

we believe the US could benefit from additional gun regulations (preferable at the local level) and we ain't afeared o' the ridiculous scenario whereby if today we allow the State to increase background checks for gun purchases, then tomorrow the newly formed national police will be breaking down doors in the heartland and forcibly emptying citizen gun cabinets.

Reminded me of a joke I saw earlier:

“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Yes. The background checks are for the PEOPLE, not the GUNS.

Perhaps Americans would be more comfortable with legislation if it was referred to as PEOPLE CONTROL instead of GUN CONTROL.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Zarif should have brought along a model of an F-16 as a prop. Or not, Bibi's prop usage is always cringe inducing.

Isn't all prop usage, so?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Calling it "people control" is WORSE! That is exactly what we are afraid of. If our history has shown anything it's the United States government is not an institution you want to live at the complete mercy of.

Thomas Sowell

Or call it regulation of the militia.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Calling it "people control" is WORSE! That is exactly what we are afraid of. If our history has shown anything it's the United States government is not an institution you want to live at the complete mercy of.

From what I've seen that might be what you and some other libertarians are afraid of, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for other Americans.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

From what I've seen that might be what you and some other libertarians are afraid of, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for other Americans.

Right. Just remember who was behind the first school mass shooting... and a few more since:

140502190207-07-kent-state---tear-gas-su

Thomas Sowell

Right. Just remember who was behind the first school mass shooting...

This guy? :p

I think for first recorded school shooting, its Heinz Schmidt who killed 5 children in a Breman, Germany school in 1913.

Whitman is the first school shooting I can recall for the US, but there were two school bombings (Andrew Kehoe and the Bath School in 1927 and Paul Orgeron and Poe Elementary in 1959) that preceded Whitman's bell tower attacks of '66

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's Arkan dude, and red/ blue/white horizontal stripes is definitively the Serb flag. He's close to the most famous paramilitary leader of the Yugoslav Wars, almost as famous as Accordian Man.

Zarif should have brought along a model of an F-16 as a prop. Or not, Bibi's prop usage is always cringe inducing.

Isn't all prop usage, so?

Not really, I've seen a fair amount of good prop usage in presentations. Politicians in general tend to use props dreadfully though, but a cartoon depiction of a bomb that only lacks Roadrunner finishing the drawing and it blowing up in your face is near top of the cringe factor with waving random bits of metal only a little behind. Though to be fair, I've seen some Israelis and others who thought that that use was absolute genius so I guess that mileage varies considerably.