The Music Listening thread

Pidesco

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Ohhh, I love Gregorian, I used to listen to them alot for a while. I need to rip those cds again and get them in my mp3 for work!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, that was certainly a weird meshing of styles.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Seems Laurence Fishburne is a pretty good tapdancer. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png

Racist!

(e: actually, real talk, he doesn't look thaaaaaat much like Mr. Fishburne - then again, I'm not sure if I've ever seen him when he was younger)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Is that YMCA version really ragtime?  I admit my knowledge of the form is limited and while it has the classical Sousa-esque um-pa bass line/beat (since IIRC Joplin melded Sousa marches for the form), I'm not really getting the syncopation feel from the arrangement that I only intuitively recognize when listening to classic ragtime.  So it kind of comes off as sort of a 1930s period jazz arrangement to me instead of ragtime but that may just be lack of familiarity.   Any music theorists in the house?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

(e: actually, real talk, he doesn't look thaaaaaat much like Mr. Fishburne - then again, I'm not sure if I've ever seen him when he was younger)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Seems Laurence Fishburne is a pretty good tapdancer. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png

Racist!

Ah, he immediately reminded me of him, mostly due to the eyes and mouth shapes being quite similar.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Is that YMCA version really ragtime?  I admit my knowledge of the form is limited and while it has the classical Sousa-esque um-pa bass line/beat (since IIRC Joplin melded Sousa marches for the form), I'm not really getting the syncopation feel from the arrangement that I only intuitively recognize when listening to classic ragtime.  So it kind of comes off as sort of a 1930s period jazz arrangement to me instead of ragtime but that may just be lack of familiarity.   Any music theorists in the house?

I have even more limited knowledge of the style than you (i.e. my opinion here is baseless), but it wasn't quite what I expecting for "ragtime", either. I decided to consult the YouTube comments to see if anyone had any similar thoughts. My only conclusion from opening up all of the comments and quickly scanning (and then searching for "rag") is that YouTube shouldn't have comments on videos that are more than anything besides mildly popular. No pearls of wisdom there, sadly. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

I've had this song in my head for a few days, but couldn't remember what it was or who it was by or even what the lyrics were. Took me a while to figure out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me wish I had something interesting to do with my life so I can play this in the background.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Generally speaking, I hate rap. It's boring to me, but this is an exception.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken