The Music Listening thread

Pidesco

Good song, commercial but good  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys  this  song  rocks  !!!

Good song, commercial but good  :dancing:

hey guys I don't know if you've ever heard of this little known band, but

​@Shady: though I was a big Psych fan, I hate musicals that aren't cartoons. I was never able to sit through it, so that was actually my first time hearing it. it was...uh...silly.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't know what it is about people singing in a non-singing locale that makes me squirm, but there it is

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"I hate Christmas music when it's not even December"

If you hate Lindsey's Christmas music anytime of the year, you may want to get checked for that.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's the kind of night for multiple neat highballs of quality bourbon, jamming Guy Clark on the speakers and reflecting on my life and roads not taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCCvBzZxmE

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

World Eater is quite the album. Are you into the world of electronic Algroth? I should really start posting more underground electronic stuff in here, since that's my main musical forte.

I am! I'm all for you sharing some more. Here's another album I've been really liking of late...

And if you're for really outlandish stuff and have the time, here's a 4h20m conceptual instrumental hip-hop album by Impossible Nothing (one of three he's released so far this year):

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I can't quite decide whether this is awesome or horrifying, but this is my 3.5-year-old son's current favorite song:

Crazy good song, how does a 3 year old get into something like this?

He has certainly heard "kids' music" stuff at his preschool, but he is not yet aware that it is a thing that can be played in our car.  On our commute (the daycare/preschool is in my office building), we listen to music from my collection.  His Mom tends to reject most of the jazz ( ;(), and he really hates it if I try to sneak some NPR in, but a few things have stuck. 

This was his first favorite song ("Wobots!"):

I tried to build on this with more Kraftwerk, as their stuff has some really kid-friendly themes.  (Robots! Trains! Counting! Radiation!)  He still asks for this one sometimes, which he initially misheard as "Shoulders on my Tummy":

(Edit:  Not sure why that one ins't doing the imbedded-player thing.)

The rest of Trans Europe Express was pretty well received, too, although he tends to get bored with "The Hall of Mirrors." (Me, too, frankly.)  Based on all this, I should probably be working to acquire more electronica, as my knowledge of the genre basically stops circa 1982.  But, with two kids under 4 in the house (his brother is now 18 months old), time to explore new-to-me music is pretty scarce, so I've mostly been playing stuff that I already had. 

So we listen to the rock that is weird enough to hold my interest, and that isn't too vulgar to play in front of a kid who sometimes repeats interesting words.  Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds fits the first part of the bill, and Let Love In isn't super-objectionable on the second criteria.  (He's too young to grasp the somewhat menacing and misanthropic overall themes, so this is mostly based on what language I wouldn't want him repeating to his teachers at school.  I think there's an F-bomb in "Thirsty Dog," but it's pretty mumbly.  Suffice it to say that Cave's next album is off the playlist, though.) 

Anyhow, I think he likes the chimes in "Red Right Hand" more than anything else.  I played it for him and he asked to hear it again (and again and again, as kids do).  Once he learned the name, he started requesting it.  If it keeps the peace on the commute, I'm happy to play it 4 times over.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 3

Tom Waits - Romeo is Bleeding

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Talking Heads could be appealing. A couple of other acts from the time might have some nice tracks too, like Fad Gadget or Siouxsie and the Banshees, that have some of that gothy yet playful vibe to them. Coil's latter-day albums also kinda bridge the progressive electronic of Karftwerk, Tangering Dream and Klaus Schülze with the gothier and weirder stuff from post-punk and industrial (that might be more a rec for you than your kid though, Enoch).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...