Just as it says in the title. Do you actually use the traps that you pick up after disarming them? I don't, because I found luring enemies onto them to be too much of a hassle. Also, I find traps an incredibly annoying and hopelessly outdated relic of a game mechanic anyway. But I suspect they might be more useful than I give them credit for.

The wird thing about traps is this: if you trip a Sunlance trap it will deal like 300 to 400 damage to you. If you disarm it and place it yourself then it will deal about 30 to 40 damage to an enemy. Erm...

Sadly, there's no talents or abilities around traps - so it's not worthwhile to use them with a party. Maybe if every character in the party had 10 mechanics and you would place 10 traps - but why the hassle?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, funny how they lose all that one-shot potential when it's you who places them. Besides, even if they dealt more damage/status effects, their usability would still be very limited. You'd have to place it without catching the enemies' notice, and then lure them in so they run into it on their way. Pointless. Except if they dealt more damage, all this song and dance would be too good to pass up on, particularly on higher difficulties.

I suppose it might be possible to make them worthwhile, but that'd require a lot of changes. In most games that use "traps" of some sort, they're just delayed-response AoE spells. In PvP games, they're a positioning/area denial tool, but it doesn't quite work the same way with an AI.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

Trap damage vs enemies is a joke, but the chaos orb trap is actually pretty good because it can trigger petrify and jumps around to hit spread out targets. My chanter has 12 base mechanics +1 from class and another +1 from background; 22 INT and 17 PER. 

There are a couple of trap talents that you can add by cheating. Accurate Traps +12 Trap Accuracy. Passive \ Powerful Traps +40% Trap effectiveness Passive. Not sure they help that much when trap damage is nerfed 10 fold but here you are. but ye the limited number you can place + their low damage is rough.

Edited by draego

Do you actually use the traps that you pick up after disarming them? I don't, because I found luring enemies onto them to be too much of a hassle.

I don't use them. 

Still keep them just in case, but at the moment directly engaging in combat saves more time than setting the trap and luring enemies in it...

Although petrify trap could be useful for a frontline (quick-switching) powder-burns ranger, who would use the animal companion to bring the enemies. Also they would help in a solo run.

Also, I find traps an incredibly annoying and hopelessly outdated relic of a game mechanic anyway.

The annoying thing was getting injuries when one of your squshies was going unconscious from the explosion. At least until you tick the auto-pause on "Hidden object found". Edited by MaxQuest

I use them when I solo and I need some extra damage, but they lose their effectiveness at high level if you don't invest in mechanics. I always open with a ranged weapon and when the enemy closes in he walks into the trap - it's free damage; sometimes I use them to trigger sneak attack/deathblows. They're also an important tool in the arsenal of a sniper build which can be very fun and effective.

I use them when I solo and I need some extra damage, but they lose their effectiveness at high level if you don't invest in mechanics. I always open with a ranged weapon and when the enemy closes in he walks into the trap - it's free damage; sometimes I use them to trigger sneak attack/deathblows. They're also an important tool in the arsenal of a sniper build which can be very fun and effective.

Yep. They are great for solo Rogue Sneak Attacks. Otherwise they are a little bit of free damage for game time wasted.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Also, I find traps an incredibly annoying and hopelessly outdated relic of a game mechanic anyway.

The annoying thing was getting injuries when one of your squshies was going unconscious from the explosion. At least until you tick the auto-pause on "Hidden object found".

You either have someone with enough Mechanics to disable them entirely, or you don't, and either slowly inch around them or risk injuries. And a lot of traps are scaled up to make them nigh-impossible to disarm, like in the temple of Skaen.

The annoying thing was getting injuries when one of your squshies was going unconscious from the explosion. At least until you tick the auto-pause on "Hidden object found".

You either have someone with enough Mechanics to disable them entirely, or you don't, and either slowly inch around them or risk injuries. And a lot of traps are scaled up to make them nigh-impossible to disarm, like in the temple of Skaen.

I know, the dev's are real bastards. Like anyone can resist disarming a trap! Those Skaen Temple traps were a real PITA.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I personally love traps, they're a nice extra source of currency for those game-changing early game purchases like the Blunting Belt. I also enjoy wondering what the mobs down at the Raedric sewers/etc. must think when I storm their territory only to steal the traps and leave.