RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Wow... Looks like the new Thief has changed alot of what the old Thief was. I only have the very first two Thief games (both modded for HD texture). And I notice that they are not as punishing. I wonder what made them change it so much with the new one to be that way. What made me like The Dark Project so much, was the cat-and-mouse aspect. It's basically a Green Arrow simulator but in different time period of course (which is awesome). As a normal person, vulnerable but with alot of freedoms and the tools to go about it.

I thought this was an interesting video to look at:

https://youtu.be/jPqwDGXxLhU

I haven't bought an Assassin's Creed game in so long but I admit that picture intrigues me. Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"They" didn't change it, the new Thief is an entirely new developer that hopped on the franchise - and did a thoroughly mediocre job of it. 

For more of the real Thief, The Dark Mod is now standalone with a ton of excellent community-made missions in the spirit of the originals.

• Like 7

"They" didn't change it, the new Thief is an entirely new developer that hopped on the franchise - and did a thoroughly mediocre job of it. 

So "They" as in different developers.. got it. I had no idea that someone else took over but I have never really followed the Thief games too closely.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Thief 3 is underrated. Sure the maps are a bit smaller but. The Shalebridge Cradle. nuff said.

QFT. I don't know of a better level; people compare it to the Haunted Hotel in Bloodlines, but to me there's no comparison. Of course I played the former when I was still young and impressionable, so may be that has something to do with it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Well Thief's Return to the Cathredral is better overall because the whole mission is awesome. Shalebridge cradle is only great in the first part when you haven't encountered anyone yet and it's all about shadows and sounds. Later it was slightly dissappointing for me because those escaped lunatics all had the same model and the return to the past and the final escape is just not that good. But the first part, especially going up the staris to the room is the best thing Ion Storm did in that game.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Thief Gold is a hard play as its limited colour palette was really, well, limiting and made navigation harder than in other games and it was fairly easy to game the systems compared to T2 at least- I think I killed every zombie in the bonehoard for example by getting most of them into a Walking Dead like horde. It had the best story though, and its Ken Levine trademark twist was both first and best. Thief 2 is overall best Thief, barring a few absolute turds (Casing.. had a laughable bug in it that had the AI stuck in the Leonardo pose and is just a bad idea overall) it also has the most sprawling yet feature and interest rich levels. Thief 3 is not as bad as made out, but suffers terribly from the level transition zones and small levels restricting things. Compared to the mess that was DXIW though and considering it was based on that mess it was better than merely decent, they just needed a better engine.

Thiaf was an abomination, burn it with fire and scatter its ashes to the four corners of the earth. It also sounded like one of the worst run game projects of all time from what Rihanna Pratchett had to say- a shame, since her father was a massive fan of the earlier games and actually posted on their usenet group fairly regularly.

Their initial forays into publishing resulted in some fairly to terribly inept stuff- their Star Trek titles, the Cthulu titles, FONV, Rogue Warrior, Hunted: the Demon Forge etc.

What? They only published one Cthulhu title, and it's fantastic. And so's FONV. Two of the greatest games ever made.

You're going to tell me that FONV was a technical masterpiece with no bugs or other problems? Because that is what was being talked about, not their overall quality. While FONV is justly praised for what went right things like reliability and a bug free experience would not make that list.

From what I've seen most people like Dishonoured 2's story etc well enough as well, but it was certainly a disaster in terms of performance on PC.

Thief 3 is underrated. Sure the maps are a bit smaller but. The Shalebridge Cradle. nuff said.

I will have to try this sometime!

If Deadfire was all about that naval warfare!

https://youtu.be/ajyT1Yulw40

Stumbled on this, looks damn good! Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

If Deadfire was all about that naval warfare!

https://youtu.be/ajyT1Yulw40

Stumbled on this, looks damn good! Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

I like the aesthetic.  However...

Proceduarlly generated.

*sigh*

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg?ref=category

It may just be what Fallout 3 or New Vegas should have been.... amirite?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg?ref=category

It may just be what Fallout 3 or New Vegas should have been.... amirite?

Quite frankly, there's very little I'd change about FONV, that game is awesome.  If you mean an isometric post-apocalyptic RPG, then we already have Wasteland 2 and will get Wasteland 3.  Still, I'm certainly not against getting more post-apocalyptic isometric RPGs.  The great thing about this project is that it has a free demo (Windows, Mac, and Linux).  I downloaded the demo and was impressed at how polished, relatively speaking, the game seems.  The dialogue is a bit rough, but that's likely the product of a very rudimentary translation into English.  I mean, the dialogue is, for the most part, technically correct English, it's just...  Machine like, as if it was translated by someone who technically understands the framework of English, but not its nuances.  Anyway, I'm going to play a bunch more of the demo and best of luck to them.  They said they're going to finish the game whether they get the money or not, I do hope they get the money, though, maybe that will allow them to hire someone to do a better translation.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I thought the Thief 3 storyline with the witch was very well presented. Especially reading about the witch hunter who was after her. It's one of the few times ever I remember books and notes in a game done well, and it's not even an RPG. I got to the final boss fight in one of my playthroughs and was killed.

I just went, well ok, that's a result. I lost. So I never beat the game. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

You're going to tell me that FONV was a technical masterpiece with no bugs or other problems? Because that is what was being talked about, not their overall quality. While FONV is justly praised for what went right things like reliability and a bug free experience would not make that list.

From what I've seen most people like Dishonoured 2's story etc well enough as well, but it was certainly a disaster in terms of performance on PC.

Well, after patches it ran fine for me, but point taken, I didn't read what you were responding to carefully enough.

I thought the Thief 3 storyline with the witch was very well presented. Especially reading about the witch hunter who was after her. It's one of the few times ever I remember books and notes in a game done well, and it's not even an RPG. I got to the final boss fight in one of my playthroughs and was killed.

I just went, well ok, that's a result. I lost. So I never beat the game.

The story was decent enough, especially earlier when you're still not sure what's going on exactly. I thought they missed a major opportunity for an emotional pay off in that you never get to tell the witch hunter what happened to his friend. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

About Strafe, the reviews are in :(

I hate to say it but they're not very positive. Immortal Redneck seems to have taken the throne.

• Like 1

I wish Sega would get back to franchises like Jet Set Radio, Ecco The Dolphin, Chu Chu Rocket and such :(

Pfft.

Alpha Protocol, nuff said.

• Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I wish Sega would get back to franchises like Jet Set Radio, Ecco The Dolphin, Chu Chu Rocket and such :(

Pfft.

Alpha Protocol, nuff said.

It desperately needs a reboot, yes. While Sega's other games need sequels or HD remasters.

Main problem: it's a Kotaku article saying it, and Kotaku will interpret stuff into the most clickbaity form they can think of.

I don't know about dlc, but reassignments and downsizing by other means are exactly what you'd expect after they ship a game whatever the circumstances. Bioware: M is clearly a one project at a time studio unlike the Bioware mothership. So once they finished MEA people were going to be let go or transferred, inevitably, instead of holding on to all the people they had at crunch, indeed I'd be very surprised if a lot of the people working on MEA at crunch weren't previous transfers from other EA studios in the first place. Not just the EA: [low wage country] texture farmers and DICE engine people whose whole reason for existence is moving from project to project either. That's just the most efficient way to do things, and means you can cut dead wood and anyone who, uh, causes problems without causing yourself problems.

Not that I think that there will be a MEA2 any time soon, especially from the Montreal branch, but then even if MEA were well received there wouldn't be a sequel for a few years and there would be people getting moved off the project rather than on at the beginning. Dunno, but if EA wanted to do a futuristic Battlefield franchise game one tied to Mass Effect seems like a good fit. Can't see them icing Mass Effect, in anything approaching the long term. If nothing else its MP potential would earn a reprieve.

• Like 2

Holy crap, Vanquish PC is only 14 days away. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. :aiee:

I hope i'll get to play it in 4K next year if i start saving up now. :ninja:

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.