alternative facts

Gromnir

"what trump has wrong about nafta is pretty much everything."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-21/mexico-and-canada-say-nafta-should-be-re-negotiated-trilaterally

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Alternative facts." Is this the scientific term for Wikipedia?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e2%80%98we-wanted-them-to-live-in-fear-animal-rights-activist-admits-to-university-bombing-25-years-later/ar-AAnuEbh?ocid=spartandhp

is not actual an alternative fact, but the picture included in the story is clear not michigan state.  in point o' fact, we suspect anybody who has even an inkling o' interest in college football, or if you has simple needed to drive i-90 through indiana, will recognize the iconic university campus.

HA! Good Fun!

ps it should be noted, the washington post didn't have the wrong picture in their story.  when msn linked, they added a wrong photo.

pps

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-administration-lies-100_us_58ac7a0fe4b02a1e7dac3ca6?section=us_politics

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I find it amazing that people still support Trump. Wasn't your sides biggest argument against Obamas efforts regarding gun control always that it "goes against the constitution"? Yet you support a president who went against the constitution only after a few days in office?

The constitution is not the bible. You can't cherry pick the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't. And you can't and definitely shouldn't listen to those who do so every week.

• Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The constitution is not the bible. You can't cherry pick the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't.

Why not? Seems like that's what most people like to do, anyways - when it suits them. And then demonize the other side when they do the same thing. Our political process is surely evidence enough that nothing is truly holy - neither the Constitution nor the Bible - to a large percentage of voters and the people they vote in. We sure seem to like to pretend they are when we can use them to justify our beliefs and behavior, though! I guess that's what happens when we already think a certain way about an issue and THEN come up with reasons to justify the way we think...instead of looking at the issue and reasons for and against certain positions, and deciding the best position from there. A natural consequence of parents trying to imprint certain beliefs on us as we grow up, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I find it amazing that people still support Trump. Wasn't your sides biggest argument against Obamas efforts regarding gun control always that it "goes against the constitution"? Yet you support a president who went against the constitution only after a few days in office?

The constitution is not the bible. You can't cherry pick the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't. And you can't and definitely shouldn't listen to those who do so every week.

Ben shoots... and scores.

And by the way, it wasn't just the 2nd Amendment Obama didn't like. He regularly ignored Article I & II, the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th (at least in my opinion), 10th, & 14th amendments. And of course Congress (with some notable exceptions like Rand Paul) rolled over and let him get away with it. And they appear to be doing it again.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:p

I don't know enough about US laws to comment on that though :/

Just what I was going to say. Do you actually know enough about the Constitution to know that Trump violated it? And no, the ninth circus doesn't know any more than you do.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

:p

I don't know enough about US laws to comment on that though :/

Just what I was going to say. Do you actually know enough about the Constitution to know that Trump violated it? And no, the ninth circus doesn't know any more than you do.

Actually the 9th Circuit didn't say he violated anything. They just said the Plaintiff has a case.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The latter half of Carson's statement is the winning part.

Have to say, what boils down to "he did it first" is a wank defense. But have to consider who you are dealing with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, and not the same thing said by either. And that is the point of the Breitbart defense. Note how Obama frames it a bit better. Not that Carson deserves more than usual ridicule for him saying stupid things, in any case.

Also, in regards to whining about double standards, I can hear glass shattering in the distance.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interesting idea of normal people then. But I suppose it helps to frame things like that.

Edited by Malcador

If only he had some people on hand to give him better info

he does, but apparently he prefers breitbart and fox news to the vast resources o' the executive branch o' the government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/03/07/trumps-split-screen-a-two-hour-virtual-conversation-between-the-president-and-fox-and-friends/?utm_term=.8527934c8b89

this would be comedy gold if it weren't real.

“Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory,” 

'course when called 'pon to provide any kinda proof, he calls for an investigation.

calls for the investigation AFTER the public claim o' wiretap? a POTUS accuses a former POTUS o' what would necessarily be illegal authorization o' wiretaps.  sorry.  am knowing some folks voted for him 'cause clinton were such a terrible alternative, but how can folks not see this guy as anything other than unhinged and reckless?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Obama's much lower percentage of recidivism of released GITMO detainees seems fishy to me. They stopped releasing their names in 2009, coincidence? http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2017/jan/25/cory-gardner/how-many-released-guantanamo-bay-prisoners-commit-/

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I can't let this one go by without comment:

6) "Here, headline, for the front page of the New York Times, "Wiretapped data used in inquiry of Trump aides." That's a headline. Now they then dropped that headline, I never saw this until this morning. They then dropped that headline and they used another headline without the word wiretap, but they did mean wiretap. Wiretapped data used in an inquiry. Then changed after that, they probably didn't like it. And they changed the title. They took the wiretap word out." (The Times never changed it's headline; it simply used different words in its print and online headlines.)"

Emphasis mine.  They must using be some new definition of the word "change" I've never heard about, since the usual definition would be that using different words would count as a change (whether it was a substantial change or not being irrelevant). :facepalm:

I think what they meant was "The Times did use different words between its print and online headlines, but the meaning and context of the altered headline remained the same."

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Right, let's harp on one technicality on a particular, albeit fair, point and miss the forest for the trees.

Donald Trump is a liar. The press is needed to do their job in reporting his lies to the public.

Look, the media can get things wrong. The investigative hunt for the there there is hard to nail down and culling information still leads to gaps.

What separates good journalists from amateurs and hacks are their training and ingrained code of ethics acquired from their schooling, experience, and editorial oversight to produce objective reporting based on facts -- checked against legitimate sources with overlapping concurrence. Good journalist through diligent fact-checking and analysis, produce an objective, fact-based account of the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.

Even with all that, can journalists still get things wrong? Absolutely.

Still doesn't change the fact that an independent and free press is essential to a healthy democracy to act as a guardian against both government and corporate overreach. Attacking the mainstream media with an offhand, blanket dismissal is counterproductive.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The problem is that the media is untrustworthy. It has proven this repeatedly. You can't 100% trust what they say. They edit in and they edit out important information to change context. That's the issue.  The news media doesn't give a crap about 'healthy democracy;. They're about  selling a product and 'winning'  an argument. That's it. EPIC FAIL.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.