Politics 2017 part II

Ben No.3

I am finding it too funny that the president that actually lives up to his campaign promises is apparently the most hated one or viewed most unfavourably.

What a time to be alive.

for the most part, he hasn't lived up to campaign promises.  the recent slew o' executive actions is not anywhere near living up to promises.  so far, is only continuation o' promises. a considerable number o' the things trump is promising to do with the actions he has taken so far is dependent 'pon Congress or arguable illegal.  he is playing to the crowd and trying to appear as if he is actual doing something when in fact he isn't.  trump could write an executive order which stipulated the national debt would be turned into cotton candy and china and mexico would then buy the sugary treat.  nobody would take serious.  nevertheless, thanks to razzle dazzle, people don't see how trump is actual doing very little. people is taking him serious.  is wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But... Kanada is so progressive with its anti gun laws. WUT HAPPENED?

Smuggled in from the US, maybe?

We need a wall with Canada.

Actually I have seen an interview on Sky where a Trump spokesmen mentioned a wall with  Canada is a good idea. His overall argument was that the USA has many borders that are a security risk and Mexico is just one of them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Actually I have seen an interview on Sky where a Trump spokesmen mentioned a wall with Canada is a good idea. His overall argument was that the USA has many borders that are a security risk and Mexico is just one of them

Of course! Drugs, crime and rapists come from Mexico, and cultural marxists and feminazis from Canada! The US needs to be protected from both.

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Would stop smuggling a bit, maybe.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is too funny: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/01/30/salon-climate-faithful-upset-other-people-are-having-children/

I'm enthusiastically in support of this movement. The less crazy lefties reproduce, the better.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

20 terrorists since 2014 from countries affected by travel moratorium: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/30/at-least-20-alleged-terrorists-since-2014-came-from-countries-affected-by-trumps-immigration-ban/

Including the horrific Minnesota mall and Ohio State attacks carried out by Somalis. Good thing they couldn't obtain an AK-47 like the Bissonnette guy could. And good thing there were good guys with guns near by in both cases.

Phew, I was worried that all this freedom we have given up was not paying off, but it seems like it is making a difference.

What freedoms have we given up?

1331904454210.gif

• Like 1

"I am finding it too funny that the president that actually lives up to his campaign promises is apparently the most hated one or viewed most unfavourably."

He's even keeping true to going after terrorists' families. MAGA!

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

On the side note that might amuse a few of you colonials..

BBC - The politics behind the pomp and ceremony of state visits

A state visit is the ultimate weapon of British diplomacy, the bunker buster of soft power that can break down the hardest of tyrannical hearts.

Few world leaders can resist the siren lure of all that royal bling: horse-drawn coaches, state banquets, processions down the Mall, the sheer scale of all that gold leaf and pomp and flummery that allows them a brief window into a royal fantasy that many countries envy but can rarely match.

This weapon is deployed sparingly, normally no more than twice a year. But it does get used.

If Donald Trump does touch down for a little red carpet treatment later this year, it will be the 110th time the Queen has welcomed another head of state to these shores in her reign. And for now, despite the protests and growing online petition, Downing Street is continuing to stand firm, insisting that the invitation to the president stands.

Political and purposeful

So state visits are not merely ceremonial affairs, they are political and purposeful. They are used by the British government of the day to further what they see as Britain's national interests.

In 1973, the Queen welcomed President Mobutu of what was then called Zaire in Africa, now the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He was a brutal, corrupt dictator but he was also seen as a vital anti-communist ally in the Cold War against the Soviet Union. So he got an invite to the Palace.
President Suharto of Indonesia, another repressive leader who happened to be anti-communist, was also granted a state visit in 1979 for the same reasons.
In 1971, Emperor Hirohito of Japan was welcomed by the Queen for a state visit as a deliberate attempt to help usher the country back into the family of nations after its post-war isolation.

Not surprisingly, the invitation of the man who had led Japan during World War Two was hugely controversial, and many former army veterans and prisoners of war turned their backs on the royal procession in silent protest.

Some wore red gloves to symbolise the blood they saw as being on his hands while others whistled ribald old army tunes. A tree the Emperor had planted was uprooted.

Reconciliation

In 1978, Nicolae Ceausescu, the notorious Romanian communist leader, and his wife Elena were given a state visit in the vain hope that they might be encouraged to introduce some pro-Western reforms.

The Queen was so repulsed by them that, according to the royal author Robert Hardman, while out walking her dogs, she hid behind a bush in the Palace gardens to avoid bumping into the couple who were also out strolling. More than a decade later both Ceausescu and his wife were executed by a revolutionary firing squad.
And even the most uncontroversial of state visits, that of President Mandela in 1996, was not without political purpose.

There was a feeling in the Foreign Office that South Africa was beginning to slip away from the West towards the unaligned nations, and they wanted to hug Madiba close and remind his country of Britain's anti-apartheid credentials.

More recently, in 2014, the state visit of the Irish president to Britain was used as another step of reconciliation.
Martin McGuiness, the former Northern Ireland deputy first minister and former IRA leader, not only put on white tie and tails for a state banquet at Windsor Castle, but he also stood for a toast to the Queen.

And the state visit of President Xi in 2015 was a deliberate attempt by George Osborne, the then Chancellor, to curry favour with the Chinese and boost British trade links.

As for American presidents, only two have been granted full state visits during the current Queen's reign: President Bush in 2003 and President Obama in 2011.
What is unusual is the speed with which Mr Trump has been issued with an invitation for a state visit, just days into his presidency.
Both Messrs Bush and Obama had to wait until well into their terms of office before they got the call.

The haste reflects the importance the prime minister places on securing a good relationship with the new president and winning a post-Brexit trade deal, even if there is some political cost.

Mr Bush's visit was by no means uncontroversial, coming so soon after the beginning of the Iraq war.
There were demonstrations throughout the trip, including one involving tens of thousands in central London when an effigy of the president was toppled over in a parody of events in Baghdad.

So the Queen may be above politics but state visits are not.

They are used for diplomacy and are often controversial. And whatever protests may surround any Trump state visit, the Queen will have seen it all before. Rarely has she shown herself unable to cope with whomsoever the government brings round for tea.

As one royal insider told me dryly: "She does have some experience in these matters."

Or as former foreign secretary William Hague wrote more bluntly in the Telegraph this morning, "A Queen who has been asked over the decades to host tyrants such as Presidents Mobutu of Zaire and Ceausescu of Romania is going to take a brash billionaire from New York effortlessly in her stride."

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

20 terrorists since 2014 from countries affected by travel moratorium: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/30/at-least-20-alleged-terrorists-since-2014-came-from-countries-affected-by-trumps-immigration-ban/

Including the horrific Minnesota mall and Ohio State attacks carried out by Somalis. Good thing they couldn't obtain an AK-47 like the Bissonnette guy could. And good thing there were good guys with guns near by in both cases.

Phew, I was worried that all this freedom we have given up was not paying off, but it seems like it is making a difference.

What freedoms have we given up?

1331904454210.gif

Well, I'm sorry you've been reduced to a state of abject slavery. Perhaps it's the consequence of living in the People's Republic. As for me, I haven't noticed anything.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I am finding it too funny that the president that actually lives up to his campaign promises is apparently the most hated one or viewed most unfavourably.

What a time to be alive.

*checks if Hillary is in jail yet*

...nope.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well I for one will do what I always do: stockpile food, ammunition, non-perishable supplies.... and wait

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well I for one will do what I always do: stockpile food, ammunition, non-perishable supplies.... and wait

Ive always wanted a doomsday shelter (fort). I'm not even particularly concerned with doomsday, I just think it would be so cool to have it. Not one of those prefab's you can buy...I want mine carved out of straight bedrock, 100Ft deep, with a blast door. One of those cool thick ones with pistons that lock into the walls. :lol:

• Like 5

Ive always wanted a doomsday shelter (fort). I'm not even particularly concerned with doomsday, I just think it would be so cool to have it. Not one of those prefab's you can buy...I want mine carved out of straight bedrock, 100Ft deep, with a blast door. One of those cool thick ones with pistons that lock into the walls. :lol:

well, you can become mormon.  pretty much get all the doomsday prep stuff thrown in as part o' the deal, yes?  sure, you won't get the doomsday shelter just for converting, but with all the community doomsday preparation experience available to you, am suspecting you will be miles ahead in terms o' getting started.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

catholics recommend a similar tithe and all we get is a whole lotta guilt... and da vinci's last supper, the sistine chapel, and michelangelo's pieta and moses and david. masses by mozart and bach. arvo part's tabula rasa. sir thomas moore. mother teresa. ubiquitous friday fried fish deals in the northeast and midwest. the sagrada família. etc.

even so, 10% still seems heavy.

HA! Good Fun!

Good thing you're not brown. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

well, you can become mormon.  pretty much get all the doomsday prep stuff thrown in as part o' the deal, yes?  sure, you won't get the doomsday shelter just for converting, but with all the community doomsday preparation experience available to you, am suspecting you will be miles ahead in terms o' getting started.

HA! Good Fun!

I can't get behind any religion that thinks coffee is a sin.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Btw, Gorsuch is the Supreme Court nominee, in case anyone hasn't heard and cares.

I like the pick. Better than Hardiman and way better than Prior. I still wish he had picked Janice Rogers Brown. Maybe next time.

Thomas Sowell