What you did today

Gorth

There was a huge argument at the VFW last night. I'm pleased to say I pretty much started the whole thing.

What was it about?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are we posting pictures of cats!?!

When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a professional cat pillow.

Don't ask me why it's upside down. The board is doing that.

20170410_101436.jpg

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There was a huge argument at the VFW last night. I'm pleased to say I pretty much started the whole thing.

What was it about?

The only thing everyone argues about anymore... politics. It's a funny thing. Most of the members are well into their later years. We have a handful of Iraq & Afghanistan vets, two Gulf War vets and a handful who have seen action in other places. But the majority are Vietnam & Korean war vets. These fellows have lived for a long time. They have seen the world at it's best and worst and seen Presidents and congresses come and go. You'd think they would recognize certain patterns to history and rather than embrace the political tribalism that is gripping our country (disagree = enemy) they would be able to take a larger view of what's going on. But it turns out you'd be wrong to think that. Oh well.

Alcohol and political discussion make a poor soup. :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ah ok. Well usually the rule is no politics or religion. As it is just zealots baying at each other.

Corporate mandatory training today. The sexual harassment one is hilarious, questions are some huge stereotypical examples of it. At least the accessibility one was not so blatant

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What was it about?

The only thing everyone argues about anymore... politics. It's a funny thing. Most of the members are well into their later years. We have a handful of Iraq & Afghanistan vets, two Gulf War vets and a handful who have seen action in other places. But the majority are Vietnam & Korean war vets. These fellows have lived for a long time. They have seen the world at it's best and worst and seen Presidents and congresses come and go. You'd think they would recognize certain patterns to history and rather than embrace the political tribalism that is gripping our country (disagree = enemy) they would be able to take a larger view of what's going on. But it turns out you'd be wrong to think that. Oh well.

Alcohol and political discussion make a poor soup. :lol:

I hear you but IMO just give them a pass, I admit we have no veterans in SA because of our past it somehow became inappropriate

You lucky in many ways, they like a living history page albeit a little annoying which you must be very use to as you have been long time member on these forums  :teehee:

I assume they Republican? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Spring means the battle against the ant insurgency begins again.

And mosquitoes, wasps, flies, ticks and other assorted pests I've forgotten about since last summer.

Corporate mandatory training today. The sexual harassment one is hilarious, questions are some huge stereotypical examples of it. At least the accessibility one was not so blatant

Had one of those a month and a half ago, as is typical my brain went into innuendo mode. Luckily it seems most people had the same thoughts and went along with it.

We had like three girls in our team, we had to divide into four groups to "discuss how sexism affects our workplace". That went well. And with well I mean everybody started whining about how dudes had to do the vast majority of the heavy lifting at our workplace,and the girls agreed.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I work in IT and I'm also a ninja but that's just what I do and it doesn't define me. It just pays the bills while I pursue my real passion, just as soon as I figure out what that is.

killing the russian mobsters who stole your car and killed your dog?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I work in IT and I'm also a ninja but that's just what I do and it doesn't define me. It just pays the bills while I pursue my real passion, just as soon as I figure out what that is.

killing the russian mobsters who stole your car and killed your dog?

HA! Good Fun!

Never before has your ending quip been so fitting. :)

---

My coworker reversed into my car driver door a couple of days ago, quite an impressive feat. His reason? "I wasn't paying attention about what I was doing"... And this guy has the same job as me; Shunting... I'm not overly pleased, but atleast he said he'd pay it out of pocket. His own brand spanking new car had a crushed rear light, but since he's got plastic bumpers it wasn't to serious on mine except that he's scratched up the paintjob. Going to have it looked over this weekend.

And today he showed his age when me and another guy I worked with were diggin' Part Time Lover and he stood there looking utterly confused. Goddamn is he young. :S And that is not to say I'm a methusela, the song is from the same year that I was born iirc - but damnit - you don't listen to Stevie Wonder and look confused.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Two coworkers have never seen Blade Runner, we were boggling at that. At least it wasn't as bad as the one who said Dune was a boring POS of a book.

• Like 1

Two coworkers have never seen Blade Runner, we were boggling at that. At least it wasn't as bad as the one who said Dune was a boring POS of a book.

That's about the same level I'd say, but the one that said Dune is a POS book; Y'all need to start an office collection for a bounty...

I'm beginning to think I'm hexed or something, a lorry driver drove into my tug today at work...

I'm beginning to think I'm hexed or something, a lorry driver drove into my tug today at work...

It is the rule of 3. Misfortune always happens in groupings of 3. I am sorry that you still have one to go.  :(

• Like 1

I just hope the next one doesn't involve my car. :(

Oh yeah, and I've gotten confirmation that I'm going to be bumped up to 100% (Fulltime) employment from 1'st of June until 31'st December, meaning I won't get an "overtime stop" once I'm about to get the really nice dough. Every time they order overtime I'm going to get twice(~300sek/h) the hourly wage instead of "extra time"(~150SEK/h) pay.

Edited by Azdeus

Edit fail...

Edited by Azdeus

It is the rule of 3. Misfortune always happens in groupings of 3. I am sorry that you still have one to go.   :(

I'm going to count the cold that hit me like a brick at work today as the third. :(

TGIF! I feel like buying a bottle of whiskey and getting my drunk on, but I hate drinking alone, I just get bored and tired. :lol: And lately my drinking buddy neighbor has been all "waa I cant drink because Im taking medicine" and "waa Dr says it will mess up my liver"...suck it up and drink that shot of Petron I just poured. :lol:  

• Like 1