What you did today

Gorth

It's interesting to get feedback from a job interview and told that you didn't get the position because you came across as "over enthusiastic" during the technical/competency portion.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's interesting to get feedback from a job interview and told that you didn't get the position because you came across as "over enthusiastic" during the technical/competency portion.

WTF? :facepalm:

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Maybe that means you expected more from the job than there really was. Too high expectations or something which might result in you loosing interest in it quickly.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Aaaaaand all of a sudden its 85F here and I'm sitting shirtless. Why cant I just live in Fiji? ;(

Central Poland

May 15th, during night -1°C (30°F), during day 7°C (44°F)

May 16th, during night 14°C (57°F), during day 27°C (81°F)

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Enthusiasm is always a cause for suspicion. We rejected a dev because they said he was too into development.

Hiring is indeed a black art :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When we've hired people its always been whether they were enthusiastic about the right aspect of the job to align with their potential job satisfaction.

For example, we had some positions that were often required to ensure rules were enforced without exception.  Candidates who were overly enthusiastic about the advocacy side of the job were usually disappointed in it since the desire to strongly advocate for the individual you were working with would almost assuredly butt heads with immutable rules at some point.  So we had to weed through and find the people who were understanding that the advocacy part of the job was done in a metaphorical box of "da rulez".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A couple months ago the wife of one of my uncles was hospitalized after coughing up blood. Turned out that she had esophageal variceal bleeding and she barely survived. The docs told her in no uncertain terms that she can either sober up fast or the next time'll be the last time.

She didn't, and now it's that next... and well, last time. The liver's too badly damaged, her renal system all but shut down - dialysis can't keep up and complete organ failure is imminent.

I feel bad - for my uncle. He's going to lose his wife and it's going to be hard for him. Honestly I just hope he doesn't end up blaming himself for what happened.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Sorry to hear that, majestic. Preventable deaths are some of the worst...

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My sympathies, majestic.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

With condolences, sympathies, prayers and light already given, you get some potatoe chips from me.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Saw in the news that one of our lorries crashed on the way to our depot an hour ago. I got a really weird feeling to know what driver it is from just looking at the trailer.

It's election day here in Tehran so I went out and voted first thing in the morning.

Hope not them extremist people. :>

Aaaaaand all of a sudden its 85F here and I'm sitting shirtless. Why cant I just live in Fiji? ;(

We've had about 25C today, and it's going to be warmer yet tomorrow. It's frickin' May and it's already sweltering summer heat.

Why can't I just live in the arctic? ;(

It's election day here in Tehran so I went out and voted first thing in the morning.

Hope not them extremist people. :>

Definitely not, Lexx. Thanks for being a nice person! <3

Also:

Hassan_Rouhani_2017_official_presidentia

We Won! To freedom <3

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Come hang in Chicago where its now a crisp 9C. We can go sit in my garage and knock back beers. :lol:

Drove to town today to play PnP with my friends, it was about 27C according to my cars thermometer, and guess what broke off in my car? The tensioning bolt for my AC.

Luckily, I had bought an extra spare part that I kept in my glove compartment together with a 10mm and a 12mm wrench so that I could fix it. I knew that Murphy would hit me and that I'd need spares, so I bought them. I'm just that damn clever. I'm pretty pleased with myself, can you tell? :lol:

And we managed to complete two sections in the campaign wich netted us two levels in one evening. Then again, we'd gone 4-5 evenings without a single level since the adventure isn't built around experience points but "At this section the PC's get a level".

I have had some excellent work developments, I am moving into a new role as Product Manager of a really popular and strategic cloud based eDiscovery and forensics software product

So my role is much more sales and business focused with the technical understanding. My work is sending several of us on mini-MBA training which looks very pertinent  8)

http://reallifemba.co.za/about/

• Like 6

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have had some excellent work developments, I am moving into a new role as Product Manager of a really popular and strategic cloud based eDiscovery and forensics software product

So my role is much more sales and business focused with the technical understanding. My work is sending several of us on mini-MBA training which looks very pertinent  8)

http://reallifemba.co.za/about/

Congrats!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I ordered a new laptop today. I considered switching over to Apple after what I read in consumer reports. According to them Apple laptops have an average failure rate of 9% after 3 years of ownership. Windows laptops (granted comparing one brand to many) have an aggregate average of 18% failure rate after three years. But after four years the apple rate climbs to 12% and Windows machines to 42%. Mine is 4 years old and has a motherboard and HDD issue. So i was liking Apple for the reliability but there are just so many limitations on SW compatibility. Not as bad as it used to be by any means but if you want something outside the Apple ecosystem you're kind of screwed. And Macs are very expensive. I was looking at the Macbook Pro but dressed up the way I'd want it would cost almost $2k. That is nuts. That would not even have a dedicated GPU and for me that is a must. So I opted to with an Alienware 13 R3. It has the i7-7700HQ Quad & NVIDIA 1060 with 6GBDDR5. It was a little expensive and I'm not loving a 13" display but if I had to make a trade off it would be in display size.

It was quite a bit less than the Macbook Pro. Plus Dell offered $80 in rewards if I took their awful financing offer. 19% APR! That's robbery. It does have 1 year no interest. I'll definitely pay that off.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell