What you did today

Gorth

Ah, my ole yellow lab has them too. The vet actually stuck a hypo in one, sucked out some fat, and shot it on a piece of paper to prove to me they were just fatty masses. :lol: Coincidentally, we just had to shave a large mass of fur off our cat (he just gets crazy dreads if we don't) and that soft downy underfur just below the top coat is luxuriously. He especially loves getting pet and scratched in those freshly shaved areas. 

• Like 1

I learned how much my grandparents are worth.

Turns out it's a metric F-tonne. And my family is Drama tastic (roll the R hard on that one)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Had to buy a new laptop for use on my freelance projects. I hope dry dog food is tasty, my financial plans seems to be centered around cultivating a taste for the stuff given the big hole in my budget that purchase put in it.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Had to buy a new laptop for use on my freelance projects. I hope dry dog food is tasty, my financial plans seems to be centered around cultivating a taste for the stuff given the big hole in my budget that purchase put in it.

speaking from painful experience, rice and legumes is a better choice than is dog food. dog food is salty and actual more expensive than is bulk rice and lentils.  supplant with the infrequent egg or cottage cheese and you got our diet for a couple years after we quit football at University.  swipe condiment packets from local restaurants for flavorings. still need the occasional fruit or vegetable to stave off scurvy or rickets.  sadly such fare were an improvement compared to the Gromnir family menu during a couple pine ridge winters we recollect, but is perfect viable and a major cost saver... not that we believe you were being serious.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Took family to go hike at hanging rock, there was much gnashing and wailing but weather was beautiful and cool.

Yesterday for daughter's birthday, we went to an indoor skydiving place. Everyone had a blast cept my oldest who keep looking down the fence floor lol. Surprising a bit of a workout if u don't normally stretch your arms and legs backward alot.

Been doing absolutely nothing today. Watching football all day long and eating junk food.

My PC did start to sound loud and I started to get red artefacts on the screen. After serious cleaning, everything is back in order.

Edited by Labadal

My HTPC/media streaming PC did the same thing recently. Cleaned it all out, took off my CPU's fan/heatsink as well as my GPU's and remounted them after reapplying thermal paste, and it was much better. ;) I'll probably do the same for my main PC sometime this month...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I got some good news today. I'm going to live! It's good news for me, anyway, the rest of you can make up your own minds and then keep it to yourselves.

It's been an anxiety on my mind for the past 8 months if they would find something. They have found a few things, in fact, but none of them likely to kill me anytime too terribly soon. I got the word that the scariest one isn't a big deal today.

This has been terrible timing, too. Just imagine if the news had been the other way, trying to share that news with family while they're already dealing with stuff.

• Like 9
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Transformer vault exploded near work so that was exciting. Hope no one was near the vent grilles when it happened, getting a whiff of that smoke would not be pleasant.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Transformer vault exploded near work so that was exciting. Hope no one was near the vent grilles when it happened, getting a whiff of that smoke would not be pleasant.

I bet it was the Decepticons.  The Transformers should have hid their vault better.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was funny coming out of my building to encounter some cop who felt his moment had come, yelling "GO! MOVE QUICKLY!" when we had only one way to go due to the police tape. Maybe he was worried the vault would detonate with the force of a 2000lb bomb :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Our office building is currently undergoing some reconstruction and expansion. Everyone on the upper floor received temporary offices while everyone from the lower floor got to stay. Because, well, there simply is no more temporary office space around and also the construction crew and our facility management took an "educated" guess and estimated that we should be fine because most of the work will be on the upper floors anyway.

Right. So literally the entire building except our office and the office next to us is one big construction site. Part of the walls are missing which is fun considering the recent weather and there's enough dust in the air to turn our snot a dark, ashen gray (you can thank me for the mental image later).

Today though the construction guys actively tried to kill us. Across the hallway there's a small room where they tore down a wall today. With a pneumatic jackhammer. Which was about 3 meters away from our office (whoever the genius was who tought that level of noise was acceptable should have their eardrums pierced) and they set up the diesel compressor right in front of our office. Mmmm. Nothing like inhaling diesel exhaust for lunch.

So we all went home to do the home office thing. Got home, noticed that there's no power. The RCD tripped for some reason, a few seconds of trial and error told me that my boiler died while I was away. Yay. So I checked the thing after finishing work, one of the heating circuits died, luckily it can operate on only one, it just takes twice as long to heat up.

Just had a nice cold shower to top the day. Bah.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I love that smell to be honest, that ozone smell...

Right. So literally the entire building except our office and the office next to us is one big construction site. Part of the walls are missing which is fun considering the recent weather and there's enough dust in the air to turn our snot a dark, ashen gray (you can thank me for the mental image later).

Welcome to my evening entertainment, picking black and gray boogers. :grin:

The air inside the trailers and cargo containers is that full of dust.

Working 11+ hour days for now, now that I'm no longer on sick leave I need to make up for lost time so I'm working 5 hours extra each day. It's the only way to make some decent dough where I work.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Double post ftw.

Please delete this if anyone cba.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

@Azdeus: Is your back feeling better?

Thanks for asking, it isn't good yet but it's better. I don't lift packages anymore but shunt trailers, and it's much less straining on the back so I'm slowly improving, but I still sleep like ****e.

The hospital basically told me to suck it up or change jobs, and that ain't easy here.

I'm going to do this for a while longer and then see if I can get some education for something else. I need more money if I'm going to keep the family house and lands when my mother kicks the bucket. I'd hate to be the one that looses a house and lands that has been in the family since before USA was founded. :p

Edit; I also need to get some extra money together to send that beer to Hurlshot like I promised. :)

Edited by Azdeus

Man, I just learned a lot of random stuff. So I didnt know what "shunt trailers" meant so I looked it up. Then that got me thinking, "if Azdeus is looking for another gig, and has experience with trucks, maybe he could be a truck driver". This led me to Google "what do truck drivers make in Sweden", and lo and behold 22-24k kr per month! Not really knowing what that means, I ran it through a currency converter and its $2,725.69 per month. I'm exhausted.

Haha! :lol: Alot of work!

Truck drivers are being outcompeted by poles, latvians, belarussian and other eastern europeans here(Downside of EU). Infact the company I'm working with is probably going to lay off a big number of drivers and go with contractors instead, wich would be loads of fun since I get a headache already when there only are a couple of them each day that has no clue as to what to do, and only knows 5 words in english, "I don't speak english".

So there isn't much future there, and I drive what is called a "tug"/"mule", a cross between tractor and lorry (Look at the yard tractor and bodycarrier) so I'm not qualified without a lorry drivers licence (Wich costs about 50000sek, and I'm not legible to loan that at the bank, tried it a couple of days ago, and then you need a "Yrkesförarbevis"/Professional lorrydrivers qualification that costs about 1250sek-3000sek per lesson and you need to complete 140hours of education. :( ).

It's funny seing professional lorry drivers struggle to do what we do all the time, especially the ****y/impatient ones. o:)

I've got a 75% employment, meaning I only work 75% of the normal workweek hours (39*0.75=29.25h) but my base wage before taxes is 22100sek(1882$) if I had worked 39 hours per week. So if I were to up my employment to 100% I would basically make the same as a bottom rung lorry driver does, except they can qualify to haul dangerous goods and such aswell, while I can't get a decent raise no matter what I do.

Edited by Azdeus

Got hit by a Porsche today going home from work. They're resurfacing the roads near where I live and they've put up plenty of signs. There was a few that said that the road was going from two-lane to one lane so I kept my eyes peeled for it, it came after a right turn over a crest so you had to read the roadsigns warning for it.

I saw the Porsche coming up behind me, going atleast 120kmh or so (Normally 90 limit, but had been lowered a hundred metres before to 70) and he's in the outer lane going to overtake me when the barriers show up, he steps on the brakes, I floored it, and he swirves into my lane just behind me, rubbing his bumper against my bumper and towball(?).

We stopped and inspected the damage, I had some barely noticeable scrapes on the bumper and towball, the plastic protector of my towball was destroyed and his front was wrecked (And I will freely admit this feels pretty damn good, SWEDISH STEEL WOO! ... and plastic.)

Exchanged information with him and such, I was pretty angry with him but kept a lid on it, he doesn't need the extra grief; He's already feeling his own stupidity. My plastic cup is only worth about 5$ and I doubt that would be enough for the workshop to loosen a bolt on his car. :p

For some reason, I read it as "walking home from work", and so I expected a very different result when you said "I saw the Porsche coming up behind me going at least 120km/h", :p. Glad there wasn't too much damage.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Probably should've said "while driving home" yeah :p

I'll take this opportunity to blame it on being tired since I've worked another 12 hour day!

• Like 1

I swear I had the same reading error as Barti. :lol:  Glad youre ok.

We call that a "hitch and ball" around here.

Thank you, I've been trying to think of the proper word for almost an hour!

Feeling good with training 6 days a week when I take on the Kokoda Trail in July. Been doing half marathons over the last couple of months.

Registered for my first full marathon which will be the Australian Outback Marathon at the end of July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BiO6LA8CWI

Also signed up today to do the 4 day 4 stage Larapinta Run in the Northern Territory in August. Race, accommodation, airfares booked and paid for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkG9mmiYFAg

• Like 4