Dallas Sniper Shootings

BruceVC

Guys I am surprised people are questioning the validity and reason for BLM

Its is movement that has some reasonable objectives, like all social movements it has good elements and bad elements in it

Some  African Americans feel marginalized within US society and BLM is a expression of this frustration, my advice is dont stress too much and let it run its course :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

BLM is a racist group. No different than KKK. But, instead of doing hangings they use target practice and executions. Now,  if you see yourselfr as BLM but are not racist or anti cop you need to rethink what groups you belong to. :wink:

Sound familiar, RIGHT!?!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BLM is a racist group. No different than KKK. But, instead of doing hangings they use target practice and executions. Now,  if you see yourselfr as BLM but are not racist or anti cop you need to rethink what groups you belong to. :wink:

Sound familiar, RIGHT!?!

Volo I dont think you want to even try to understand BLM

They are not like the KKK, lets not be silly now

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This article sums it up very well. IIRC, similar observations have been done in a lot of EU police departments as well, and also been elaborated into sociological studies and such.

This is the one thing PDs need to address and come to terms with, using routines and follow-up programmes, the lot!

And like others here already noted. There are a number of unfit cops out there. They are indeed sometimes trigger-happy, but like the last incident (the one filmed by the gf), some are just downright bad cops - nervous, twitchy, etc. There must be a way to weed these jittery Joes and Janes out while they're in training, no?

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

There is a shocking amount of misinformation from the average South African about BLM and state of racial tension in USA...well there was last night on this one talk show

People think there is a state sponsored initiative to kill African Americans, so black South Africans phone in  and say things like " I'm scared to go on holiday to the USA because I may get killed  " :blink:  :blink:  

John Milton 

Why is it so difficult? 

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/751821575410880512

What is to gain by playing willfully ignorant? Nothing will be solved that way.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why is it so difficult? 

I was watching this earlier, it is more complex than it may appear so they need to investigate 

So I will say this guy was suffering from some form of PTSD, he couldn't differentiate  a societal problem from some apparent  orchestrated campaign that the police are actively pursing, so in other words he believed the latter 

John Milton 

Why is it so difficult? 

So what's your theory? Clearly part of the motivation of the shooter was that he was pissed at police brutality against blacks. But that can't be all of it, because he's not alone in feeling that way, yet cops aren't picked off by angry snipers daily. So the rest, as he says, is better left to psychologists.

What would you like him to say?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think a major thing is, and I'm only speaking with knowledge of the white side so the other is an assumption, white people are generally raised to respect police, black people are taught to fear them. So the reaction white people generally have when a white guy is killed by police is "what did he do to deserve it?“, with Black people it seems like "OMG the pigs are trying to wipe us out!"

Also, do you think there's some collective group think where a person is shot and killed, a criminal record a mile long and possibly a child molester, depending on the colour of their skin will determine if there's community outrage or not? If it's a white guy, other white people may declare good riddance, scum, etc. if it's a black guy, then black people will point the finger at the cops with outrage?

When I saw the video of the guy selling cd's, that was murder. But if it was a white guy with the same criminal record, would there have been so much outrage by white people? Or would we have seen white people say things like 'no loss'.

I think had it been a white guy it wouldn't have even hit the media. But if it did, it would have been like most white killings by police, a combo of decrying the police for overreacting, and a "well, if he didn't have an illegal weapon..."

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

This article sums it up very well. 

we found the article to be insightful... but just for perspective, a bit o' info 'bout the author is useful.  author worked as a cop for almost five years 'tween 1994 and 1999 after which he quit. a few years later he went to work for the naacp as a field organizer. he is also affiliated with the aclu, but as Gromnir is also having ties with aclu, we did a bit o' cursory checking and we find little save for acknowledgement that at one point he were a "program associate."  job title is a bit misleading.  aclu program associates do general ofice support such as answering phones and making photocopies. currently the author is  a politician who has made numerous attempts to run for office in missouri as he lived in ferguson, missouri. after the events in ferguson, police reform became a major cornerstone o' his campaigns.  he also has written articles 'bout the inherent racism that prevents black communities from electing black representatives. 

author had a similar oped piece in 2014... washington post.  were almost immediate after robert mcculloch announcement. drew considerable ire and criticism from any number o' folks in law enforcement. am certain you can look for the wp article and the comments that followed.  is more than a couple response pieces as well.

the linked is interesting. not saying otherwise.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think a major thing is, and I'm only speaking with knowledge of the white side so the other is an assumption, white people are generally raised to respect police, black people are taught to fear them. So the reaction white people generally have when a white guy is killed by police is "what did he do to deserve it?“, with Black people it seems like "OMG the pigs are trying to wipe us out!"

Also, do you think there's some collective group think where a person is shot and killed, a criminal record a mile long and possibly a child molester, depending on the colour of their skin will determine if there's community outrage or not? If it's a white guy, other white people may declare good riddance, scum, etc. if it's a black guy, then black people will point the finger at the cops with outrage?

When I saw the video of the guy selling cd's, that was murder. But if it was a white guy with the same criminal record, would there have been so much outrage by white people? Or would we have seen white people say things like 'no loss'.

I think had it been a white guy it wouldn't have even hit the media. But if it did, it would have been like most white killings by police, a combo of decrying the police for overreacting, and a "well, if he didn't have an illegal weapon..."

Oerwinde you are deep thinker, you research stuff and I appreciate your perspective on topics even if we differ on some things, i would like to share something with you about this BLM movement 

This whole BLM is more complex but also more simpler on some levels than it may appear but I would like to ask you an important question, at the end of  this current wave of BLM there are two main views (and I mean the people like us who do debate these  things )most white people will have 

• You can feel highly annoyed, possibly resentful and concerned about certain societal inconsistencies around the overall behavior of BLM
  • You can be at ease because you understand the greater narrative of a movement like BLM, this doesnt mean you justify bad behavior it just means you have an understanding

Which one would you prefer?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Why can't u be both? The movement at ground level is imho something needed and something that needs to be, but at the same time u can be annoyed of how some people who are behind it use it as a platform to justify their racist ideals and not be shot down and have the public behind them under the disguise of "elevated power" of truth.

Like religions, at ground level most religions have very important lessons that everyone can go by and knowledge on how to be a good or better person, and then people take the religion to push their own agenda.

As a white person who tries to debate what they see wrong with some messages that are pushed under the banner of BLM are automatically either ignored outright because of the color of their skin, labeled honky, cracker, white supremist, slaver, etc and pushed down their throat that THEY are the ONLY victims (both present and past) all the while spouting racist remarks defending themselves that they can't be racist because only white people can be racist because white people are in charge.

The message at ground level is something most people can get behind but when u start dealing with the some public who use the group to have their voice heard so they can voice their rage of the white man while calling anyone who disagrees with them a white supremist and racist......well.

Like I said, it's both.

• Like 1

Oerwinde you are deep thinker, you research stuff and I appreciate your perspective on topics even if we differ on some things, i would like to share something with you about this BLM movement

This whole BLM is more complex but also more simpler on some levels than it may appear but I would like to ask you an important question, at the end of this current wave of BLM there are two main views (and I mean the people like us who do debate these things )most white people will have

• You can feel highly annoyed, possibly resentful and concerned about certain societal inconsistencies around the overall behavior of BLM
  • You can be at ease because you understand the greater narrative of a movement like BLM, this doesnt mean you justify bad behavior it just means you have an understanding

I don't like BLM. They attack their allies, vandalize, attack charitable events and rallies, and if people don't submit to their bullying and intimidation, try to brand them as racist. They have done more to erode race relations than any other entity since the KKK.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Why can't u be both? The movement at ground level is imho something needed and something that needs to be, but at the same time u can be annoyed of how some people who are behind it use it as a platform to justify their racist ideals and not be shot down and have the public behind them under the disguise of "elevated power" of truth.

Like religions, at ground level most religions have very important lessons that everyone can go by and knowledge on how to be a good or better person, and then people take the religion to push their own agenda.

As a white person who tries to debate what they see wrong with some messages that are pushed under the banner of BLM are automatically either ignored outright because of the color of their skin, labeled honky, cracker, white supremist, slaver, etc and pushed down their throat that THEY are the ONLY victims (both present and past) all the while spouting racist remarks defending themselves that they can't be racist because only white people can be racist because white people are in charge.

The message at ground level is something most people can get behind but when u start dealing with the some public who use the group to have their voice heard so they can voice their rage of the white man while calling anyone who disagrees with them a white supremist and racist......well.

Like I said, it's both.

You raise some good points, to be honest its better to be one or the other because certain fundamental views are necessary to believe one or the other and these things are mutually exclusive 

But of course there are some similarities 

John Milton 

silver-datalab-unhomicide-2.png?quality=

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/black-americans-are-killed-at-12-times-the-rate-of-people-in-other-developed-countries/?ex_cid=538twitterchart

Pretty clear there are huge homicide rates within African American communities. Lots of it is "Black on Black" violence, but BLM is more than in the right to demonstrate that "Black Lives Matter" and as a society we need to reflect on our own internalized prejudices and recognize the human element of these crime statistics.

In a step towards the right direction, the DoJ has started a program to train their law enforcement agencies and prosecutors on "how to recognize their own implicit bias."

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/department-justice-announces-new-department-wide-implicit-bias-training-personnel

I would imagine that the DoJ will then pass on this training to other Federal law enforcement agencies and local departments and DA offices across the country.

*edit* corrected DoJ link.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This whole BLM is more complex but also more simpler on some levels than it may appear but I would like to ask you an important question, at the end of this current wave of BLM there are two main views (and I mean the people like us who do debate these things )most white people will have

I don't like BLM. They attack their allies, vandalize, attack charitable events and rallies, and if people don't submit to their bullying and intimidation, try to brand them as racist. They have done more to erode race relations than any other entity since the KKK.

I can understand this may be your view, I'm not going to try to change your views as I consider you a reasonable person 

My view is about an understanding of aspects of history and the current reality of certain social conditions. 

But please consider this, BLM will be with us forever. Going forward it will become one of the various SJ initiatives we see and people support

Dont see this as bad thing, its just a reality. So going forward as BLM gets representation in its own way throughout the world especially in Western Democracies you will be confronted by it....do you really want to constantly think about in the same light as the KKK?

John Milton 

I can understand this may be your view, I'm not going to try to change your views as I consider you a reasonable person

My view is about an understanding of aspects of history and the current reality of certain social conditions.

But please consider this, BLM will be with us forever. Going forward it will become one of the various SJ initiatives we see and people support

Dont see this as bad thing, its just a reality. So going forward as BLM gets representation in its own way throughout the world especially in Western Democracies you will be confronted by it....do you really want to constantly think about in the same light as the KKK?

Are you saying I should change my view on them because the truth is uncomfortable? Because thats what it sounds like you're saying. These people hijacked a vigil for the victims of the Orlando shooting and tried to make it about race. They shouted racist rhetoric at students studying in a library, they shut down a pride parade until they agreed to expel police floats and make BLM the guests of honor. They attacked a charity fundraiser for sick kids because they wouldn't stop fundraising for sick kids to march with them about diversity in college. They shut down a Bernie Sanders rally, the one candidate arrested for marching for civil rights and who has fought for equality his whole life, because he didn't care enough about black people. If BLM could get away with it, they would be lynching white people. They are a black supremecist group founded because a cop killed a guy who robbed a store and tried to take his gun after assaulting him.

If black lives matter, maybe they should focus on why the vast majority of black people are murdered by other black people.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 2

Devastatorsig.jpg

Also, in Kanada, BLM decided to interrupt the Gay Pride Parade, and attack that. They bullied, shamed, and attacked them.

Let's face  it. BLM is a rsacist hatefilled organization.

Internet geeks say a few mean things on the net and 'Gamergate' is  blasted as a hate group.

BLM peeps  go on shooting sprees yet BLM is touted as heroic and honourable.

LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Are you saying I should change my view on them because the truth is uncomfortable? Because thats what it sounds like you're saying. These people hijacked a vigil for the victims of the Orlando shooting and tried to make it about race. They shouted racist rhetoric at students studying in a library, they shut down a pride parade until they agreed to expel police floats and make BLM the guests of honor. They attacked a charity fundraiser for sick kids because they wouldn't stop fundraising for sick kids to march with them about diversity in college. They shut down a Bernie Sanders rally, the one candidate arrested for marching for civil rights and who has fought for equality his whole life, because he didn't care enough about black people. If BLM could get away with it, they would be lynching white people. They are a black supremecist group founded because a cop killed a guy who robbed a store and tried to take his gun after assaulting him.

If black lives matter, maybe they should focus on why the vast majority of black people are murdered by other black people.

Yes and we condemn those types of actions but the group will evolve and distance itself from those actions, its a new movement and emotions are running high so you cant be surprised with a degree of zealotry

So I am not asking you to not recognize the truth, I am asking you  to see these developments as nuanced and should be seen in context 

Also, in Kanada, BLM decided to interrupt the Gay Pride Parade, and attack that. They bullied, shamed, and attacked them.

Let's face  it. BLM is a rsacist hatefilled organization.

Internet geeks say a few mean things on the net and 'Gamergate' is  blasted as a hate group.

BLM peeps  go on shooting sprees yet BLM is touted as heroic and honourable.

LMAO

Funny enough thats exactly what I want to avoid, you guys having to deal with another GG but this time its in RL 

I never knew you followed events like Gay Pride, nice one  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Like I said, it's both.

You raise some good points, to be honest its better to be one or the other because certain fundamental views are necessary to believe one or the other and these things are mutually exclusive

Then if I had to chose then I'd be against then.

I can stand behind someone calling out injustice and wrong done because of the color of ones skin, but I can't be for a group that isn't treated equally as anyone else (meaning they can do, say, act things that most would lose our lively hood over while no one is batting an eye because of mob screaming racist) and believe and acts like THEY have and had the WORSE outta anyone and everybody. They act and believe they are special snowflakes that it's more important and EVIL and wrong if it happens to them but if it happens to someone else, they are outraged because it's stealing their thunder.

Why we let them act and do what they do? Because at the foundation, the BLM is like I said something we can all get behind IF it was just that. When they start demanding and screaming that they have more right and have been wronged more than anyone else in history and it doesn't count if ur history coincides with theirs with slavery and racism, it doesn't matter because it's black power over anything and everything else.

Now, I will say this, in light of the Dallas shootings paired with the cop murdering those fellows, the overall mood seems to have changed. The mood feels like they finally accept they are not the only ones who have been wronged and that others have as well and acknowledging that and simply want to be heard as well, if they keep this mood and ideal and atmosphere up, then I can get behind it. Now there seems an air of equality that was massively missing. If they drop this atmosphere and continue like they have been, then no. Burn that banner in fire and start again because all it's doing is causing dividing and more destruction.

Tbh it seemed the movement went to wanting special privileges and to be above equal than actually be raised to equality.

Like I said, it's both.

Then if I had to chose then I'd be against then.

I can stand behind someone calling out injustice and wrong done because of the color of ones skin, but I can't be for a group that isn't treated equally as anyone else (meaning they can do, say, act things that most would lose our lively hood over while no one is batting an eye because of mob screaming racist) and believe and acts like THEY have and had the WORSE outta anyone and everybody. They act and believe they are special snowflakes that it's more important and EVIL and wrong if it happens to them but if it happens to someone else, they are outraged because it's stealing their thunder.

Why we let them act and do what they do? Because at the foundation, the BLM is like I said something we can all get behind IF it was just that. When they start demanding and screaming that they have more right and have been wronged more than anyone else in history and it doesn't count if ur history coincides with theirs with slavery and racism, it doesn't matter because it's black power over anything and everything else.

Now, I will say this, in light of the Dallas shootings paired with the cop murdering those fellows, the overall mood seems to have changed. The mood feels like they finally accept they are not the only ones who have been wronged and that others have as well and acknowledging that and simply want to be heard as well, if they keep this mood and ideal and atmosphere up, then I can get behind it. Now there seems an air of equality that was massively missing. If they drop this atmosphere and continue like they have been, then no. Burn that banner in fire and start again because all it's doing is causing dividing and more destruction.

Tbh it seemed the movement went to wanting special privileges and to be above equal than actually be raised to equality.

What you guys are going through now with rationalizing this whole thing and creating opinions I went through about 6 years in SA where only then did I have an epiphany about the history of  my country and the true nature of Apartheid

It changed me forever but in a good way  as I now feel more liberated about my commitment to  the new South Africa but I had to learn certain things 

Anyway I could share them but it gets complicated, so I guess if you looking for a different perspective on BLM but in  a more constructive and positive  way ask me anytime in the future   :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Why is it so difficult? 

Come now, you know better.

What's to be gained from playing willfully ignorant?

That's one of the primary cards in the deck of of evil used by both politicians and criminals to get what they want, get away with X, further agenda X, and so on.... A *lot* can be gained by playing ignorant, willful or not.

It's even a legitimate rhetorical strategy, of neutral (not necessarily evil) persuasion, when dealing with those who are less intelligent than the speaker. If you're talking to someone who can't understand concept X (for whatever reason: too dumb, too ignorant themselves, not informed enough, etc), and want to get a point across, dumbing down your words, or pretending to be as dumb/ignorant/uninformed as the listener(s) in order to relate to them (or make them think you relate to them) is often the successful way to go. Sad (usually; not necessarily sad when dealing with children for example) but true.

Why is Obama doing it here? Well, a much longer essay (that I'd rather not spend time writing) could be written on that. I trust you're astute enough though to see why yourself. Just don't make the mistake of thinking he's trying to solve the widely perceived problem(s). Or make the mistake of thinking that Obama (and most other politicians) doesn't do it all the time. The example you give is certainly not a break in the norm for him.

Edited by Valsuelm