Dallas Sniper Shootings

BruceVC

Why is it so difficult? 

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/751821575410880512

What is to gain by playing willfully ignorant? Nothing will be solved that way.

So what's your theory? Clearly part of the motivation of the shooter was that he was pissed at police brutality against blacks. But that can't be all of it, because he's not alone in feeling that way, yet cops aren't picked off by angry snipers daily. So the rest, as he says, is better left to psychologists.

What would you like him to say?

Why is it so difficult? 

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/751821575410880512

What is to gain by playing willfully ignorant? Nothing will be solved that way.

Come now, you know better.

What's to be gained from playing willfully ignorant?

That's one of the primary cards in the deck of of evil used by both politicians and criminals to get what they want, get away with X, further agenda X, and so on.... A *lot* can be gained by playing ignorant, willful or not.

It's even a legitimate rhetorical strategy, of neutral (not necessarily evil) persuasion, when dealing with those who are less intelligent than the speaker. If you're talking to someone who can't understand concept X (for whatever reason: too dumb, too ignorant themselves, not informed enough, etc), and want to get a point across, dumbing down your words, or pretending to be as dumb/ignorant/uninformed as the listener(s) in order to relate to them (or make them think you relate to them) is often the successful way to go. Sad (usually; not necessarily sad when dealing with children for example) but true.

Why is Obama doing it here? Well, a much longer essay (that I'd rather not spend time writing) could be written on that. I trust you're astute enough though to see why yourself. Just don't make the mistake of thinking he's trying to solve the widely perceived problem(s). Or make the mistake of thinking that Obama (and most other politicians) doesn't do it all the time. The example you give is certainly not a break in the norm for him.

It was a rhetorical question. I have to be better the next time, sorry.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://www.youngcons.com/black-cop-stuns-america-with-a-brutal-announcement-for-black-lives-matter/

"my advice is learn to accept BLM, they will refine there tactics and become more reasonable"

Yeah, like the KKK right? They tend not to go around lynching blacks anymore... doesn't make them an less racist and scummery. Just like BLM will always be a racist piece of crap group even if they aren't  murdering and celebrating whitey en masse over an ASIAN killing a black person.

But Volo you are comparing a modern movement for greater recognition and fairness  from how the police treats them  to a fundamentally  racist white supremacist movement founded after the civil war...its  terrible comparison and completely unfair 

They aren't for greater recognition and fairness. They are an organization based on lies. Black criminals are killed by police at the same rate they are arrested for crimes. White criminals are killed by police at the same rate they are arrested for crimes. There is a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. There is no big conspiracy by the government or white people to oppress and kill blacks, they have been taught that there is though, so they act accordingly. They also have a culture that glorifies criminals. They also seem to be in denial about what kind of people these guys are too. You can hardly describe a guy with multiple domestic abuse convictions, multiple prison sentences, a warrant for his arrest for failing to register as a sex offender who is carrying an illegal weapon while owing 25,000 in child support as a "good man"

As for earlier, if they reform their methods, and actually take their name seriously and start tackling the real problems of violence in the black community, then maybe I will respect them as an organization. Right now they are a hate group with 5 deaths under their belt.

Okay I am not going to give up on this point :)

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

You  should read some of there principles before you say they  stand for racsim ..for example see below 

Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise.  It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.youngcons.com/black-cop-stuns-america-with-a-brutal-announcement-for-black-lives-matter/

"my advice is learn to accept BLM, they will refine there tactics and become more reasonable"

Yeah, like the KKK right? They tend not to go around lynching blacks anymore... doesn't make them an less racist and scummery. Just like BLM will always be a racist piece of crap group even if they aren't  murdering and celebrating whitey en masse over an ASIAN killing a black person.

But Volo you are comparing a modern movement for greater recognition and fairness  from how the police treats them  to a fundamentally  racist white supremacist movement founded after the civil war...its  terrible comparison and completely unfair 

They aren't for greater recognition and fairness. They are an organization based on lies. Black criminals are killed by police at the same rate they are arrested for crimes. White criminals are killed by police at the same rate they are arrested for crimes. There is a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. There is no big conspiracy by the government or white people to oppress and kill blacks, they have been taught that there is though, so they act accordingly. They also have a culture that glorifies criminals. They also seem to be in denial about what kind of people these guys are too. You can hardly describe a guy with multiple domestic abuse convictions, multiple prison sentences, a warrant for his arrest for failing to register as a sex offender who is carrying an illegal weapon while owing 25,000 in child support as a "good man"

As for earlier, if they reform their methods, and actually take their name seriously and start tackling the real problems of violence in the black community, then maybe I will respect them as an organization. Right now they are a hate group with 5 deaths under their belt.

You  should read some of there principles before you say they  stand for racsim ..for example see below 

Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise.  It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

Listen & believe, listen & believe! 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There is not systemic targeting of blacks. They are founded on a lie. Also, actions speak louder than words, and their actions are racist.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There is not systemic targeting of blacks. They are founded on a lie. Also, actions speak louder than words, and their actions are racist.

Yes there will be a degree of exaggeration, its normal for all these types of social movements. They are founded partly on an emotional view of a reality. But you are missing the important point the founders of BLM  genuinely feel  black people in the USA are being intentionally targeted, yes its not true but this is how they see what is happening

So now is the part you may not have considered, if that is what they feel dont you think we as white people can at least recognize this is there reality? Its not a big deal but to dismiss this means you not trying to understand there view which means you will never understand it ..now this is also fine but then as I mentioned earlier BLM will be with us  forever so I would assume people would at least want to understand what motivates them?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes the misinformation in SA annoys me, I have just heard a white women...a professor...get questioned an live radio " she has  an issue with the usage of the bomb because why couldn't  the security services have negotiated with the guy  " 

So  basically she is just ignoring  the fact 12 police man had just been shot and she expects people to " negotiate with the guy and not assassinate him " 

• Like 1

John Milton 

I understand what motivates them. A false sense of victimhood. They think white people owe them because of their feelings. They externalize their failings, when they need to take responsibility.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I understand what motivates them. A false sense of victimhood. They think white people owe them because of their feelings. They externalize their failings, when they need to take responsibility.

No thats not what they think :)

They feel there is a systemic and orchestrated campaign to undermine them from white people ...so this is there way of resisting it

Have you ever been the victim of racism? I have for about 20 minutes in Saudi Arabia...it really irritated me 

John Milton 

Have you ever been the victim of racism? I have for about 20 minutes in Saudi Arabia...it really irritated me

lol

You may laugh but most white people can intellectualize  racism but we dont really understand what it feels like 

But I doubt you also have experienced real racism? The historical view some Europeans have of East Europeans as being uneducated or uncultured is not real racism because its really not relevant or true  ...so I'm not sure if you have other experiences ?

John Milton 

Sometimes the misinformation in SA annoys me, I have just heard a white women...a professor...get questioned an live radio " she has  an issue with the usage of the bomb because why couldn't  the security services have negotiated with the guy  " 

So  basically she is just ignoring  the fact 12 police man had just been shot and she expects people to " negotiate with the guy and not assassinate him " 

She's also ignoring the report of the police chief who said they tried to negotiate him, only to have those negotiations not work with the shooter expressing sentiment of wanting to kill more people.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

She's also ignoring the report of the police chief who said they tried to negotiate him, only to have those negotiations not work with the shooter expressing sentiment of wanting to kill more people.

Yes but also what she said really irritated me because she  was white and suppose to be educated 

But her misunderstanding of what BLM means and how she is suppose to support it has made her sound both stupid and insulting because in SA most people automatically support BLM because  due to Apartheid they believe African Americans are being intentionally executed by white policeman

Now for me I understand the BLM has validity but that doesnt mean everything they say they believe is real, of course some it is emotional and more about a negative perception they may have 

But to now think the Police should have been " sensitive "  to an insane gunman is actually doing a disservice to racial relations ...you not helping BLM  by going this route 

• Like 1

John Milton 

lol

You may laugh but most white people can intellectualize  racism but we dont really understand what it feels like 

But I doubt you also have experienced real racism? The historical view some Europeans have of East Europeans as being uneducated or uncultured is not real racism because its really not relevant or true  ...so I'm not sure if you have other experiences ?

I just find the phrase "I have experienced real racism for an entirety of 20 minutes!" to be inherently funny. Carry on.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

lol

I just find the phrase "I have experienced real racism for an entirety of 20 minutes!" to be inherently funny. Carry on.

Okay but whats funny about it? Its true

John Milton 

its a bit like experiencing poverty for 20 minutes.  wealthy man forgets his wallet at home and can't purchase those opera tickets as he were expecting.  clearly mr. moneybags understands poverty now that he has had to endure it... for 20 minutes.

HA! Good Fun!

ps it may not be true today, but 15 years ago there were few individuals more racist than the typical ny cabbie.  full gamut o' racism.  you could be too black or too white or too puerto rican or too earthling.  cabbies were, as often as not, nuts and angry at... something.  am being only slight hyperbolic. anywho, we had a few caucasian friends tell us how they understood racism 'cause frequently a black cabby would scream at them as they drove off, refusing to give'em a ride to the met or wherever.  our white friends would laugh about the experience and wonder why we couldn't be just as dismissive o' such ludicrous behavior.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

its a bit like experiencing poverty for 20 minutes.  wealthy man forgets his wallet at home and can't purchase those opera tickets as he were expecting.  clearly mr. moneybags understands poverty now that he has had to endure it... for 20 minutes.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes thats exactly what I thought he meant, racism is a life time experience for some people and if someone claims " they experienced racism for 20 minutes "  it could be seen as that person doesn't know what they are talking about 

But the reality is  most white people dont know racism is because we have never been subjected to the real and at times generational racism that many people are subjected 

Nowadays in SA and around the world some white people say things like " black people are racist because they saidn they hate white people or we are told we need to share our wealth  " 

Is this really racism? Doesnt it have to be about intent and impact to be meaningful?

Oh and this isnt an attack on white people, how could we understand what something feels like if we never really been exposed to it?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

2 observations, one o' which is likely to get us in trouble with fellow minorities:

1) racism is a vague word

shouldn't be.  seems clear.  treated unfairly 'cause o' race?  then you experienced racism, yes?  makes sense.  fits dictionary definition.  the thing is, when folks from minority groups speak o' racism, there is a tendency to lump the individual acts o' racism as well as the broader systemic denial o' equality o' opportunity.  am expecting that most all o' us posting has experienced bigotry.  treated unfair 'cause o' race, national origin, religion, taste in movies... whatever.  the human animal, particularly in groups, has a tendency to resort to exclusionary behaviors that is manifest unfair.  white guy is treated unfair by a black man 'cause o' race is racism where we is using racism to explain specific bigotry.

the thing is, racism is also referring to a systemic evil.  particularly where teh State denys equality o' opportunity based on race, we got a different kinda racism.  may not even seem like bigotry neither as can be insidious and largely hidden.  the guy at the bank who is denying your loan 'cause o' the predominantly african american neighborhood in which you plan to start your business may be very polite, and his reasoning for denial for the loan may even be based solely on sound business practices, but is still gonna have the potential to be racist.  

now, keep in mind that unlike some folks, we do not see systemic racism as a necessarily greater evil than bigotry.  the terrible things we do to each other 'cause o' bigotry can be nightmarish.  that being said, when folks speak o' racism, there is often confusion as to whether they is speaking o' bigotry or systemic denial o' opportunity or both.  

2) the concept o' "generational racism" needs a viking funeral

am not denying the impact o' past misdeeds on the current generation o' ___________.  back in the early 1900s, there were all kinda government practices in the US that led to black americans being denied equal opportunity for home ownership.  sounds like a small and remote problem, but the effects is enduring up until today.  for most americans, the largest single investment they will ever make is a home, and there is all kinda tax and probate benefits related to ownership o' a primary residence.  bob, the average middle-class white guy, is benefiting from multiple generations o' family home ownership and wealth transference.  such generational inequities must be recognized.

however, where we disagree is with the general notion o' non-specific emotional scaring from generational racism as being some kinda problem that needs fixing.  am not denying that past injuries can linger and hurt and color perceptions for those generations that follow, but we don't believe such emotional scarring need or should be addressed when considering how to fix the future for marginalized peoples.  

sack up.  really.  find a way to create genuine equality o' opportunity while recognizing that past wrongs handicap various minorities before they even is born.  find a way to actual level the playing field through educational and job opportunities and through business and property ownership legislation.  but don't waste a moment o' time on the unnecessary and counter-productive hand-wringing that so often accompanies the "generational" racism discussion. your great-great grandfather were enslaved or murdered or both?  well guess what, is any number o' jewish or catholic or chinese or polish persons who can share history lessons that is also full o' weal and woe. 

am not suggesting that folks should forget the past.  hell am not even demanding that people forgive past wrongs.  you wanna be angry 'cause great grandma mei were effective sold into slavery, and used as a prostitute for over a decade when she got off the boat in san francisco from china in the late 1800s?  fine. be angry, but don't use such generational racism and scaring as an excuse for continued lack o' achievement.  demand equal opportunity, and then prove you deserve it.  make so that the legit angry young, black man can have a similar chance to succeed as does any wasp.  unfortunate, generational racism is, all too often, an excuse to forgive personal inadequacy.  can be a cheap dodge, and even when is real and genuine and honest, it ain't fixable save through a generation or two o' earned success.  

so ends another pointless Gromnir rant.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

so ends another pointless Gromnir rant.

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry my friend but this is one time you will have to admit you wrong

These types of posts are very relevant and interesting because you share your life experiences

This is not about people having to agree with you, it goes way past that. Its very interesting for me, I tell  people in SA about you because many black South Africans think white people killed every Native American when they landed....so they think Native Americans dont exist and they not being facetious they just have limited understanding of history because of Apartheid 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

How many black South Africans think sex with a virgin cures AIDS?

This is considered a highly offensive thing to say, I'm not sure if its even true in SA ?

John Milton 

I have a better question. Would sex with a virgin make Bruce into a real boy?

Geppetto left the job unfinished....

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

well, am betting the % is lower than say the number o' english teenagers who believe winston churchill is a fantasy character.  am willing to bet hard money that the % is less than the number o' russians who believe the chelyabinsk meteor were not a meteor at all-- top choices seem to include a US Govt. conspiracy, Russian Govt. conspiracy or aliens.

HA! Good Fun!

I have a better question. Would sex with a virgin make Bruce into a real boy?

Geppetto left the job unfinished....

I have  a much better idea...sex with you would make me feel even better than a boy 

And please no need to think the distance is a problem, remember I come from white privilege so money is no problem 

• Like 1

John Milton 

well, am betting the % is lower than say the number o' english teenagers who believe winston churchill is a fantasy character.  am willing to bet hard money that the % is less than the number o' russians who believe the chelyabinsk meteor were not a meteor at all-- top choices seem to include a US Govt. conspiracy, Russian Govt. conspiracy or aliens.

HA! Good Fun!

But Gromnir there are some very nasty and racist things people say about black South African men..

And some of the comments are just not worth even debating 

John Milton