Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

"I have to say, where the hell did Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor come from? Hyperactive manic psychotic genius who magically knows stuff? That was just weird."

He should have been in Man of Steel.

" I'll stand by John Shea as the best version of an adult Luthor I've seen (Okay Michael Rosenbaum handled the young Luthor expertly as well in Smallville)."

Those two are definitely the best. Shea's problem is that his version of luthor was pretty much one dimensional and short lived. Rosenabum had the advantage, though, of a long character arch since he got the benfit of being a 'good guy' to start changing to 'bad guy' by the end of his run.

Iron's Alfred was blaisse. He simply left no mark for me. Batfleck was awesome even if he came across as a psycho for 9/10ths of the film. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

We need a Superman film to give us a Lex Luthor that's played like John Glover did Lionel Luthor.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Okay, two meatballs, one tuna on wheat, and a lemonade ... that'll be $7.84"  Point Break, 1991.

Was great to see Patrick. 

Full Metal Jacket, up next. Haven't watched in years, don't remember everything, except the outstanding R. Lee Ermey.

*edit* sorry, nevermind, my bad, I don't know who Stanley Kubrick is, but FMJ is an overt affront to sensibility. Maybe I just forgot how to watch movies. I'm going back to superhero films.

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

"Okay, two meatballs, one tuna on wheat, and a lemonade ... that'll be $7.84" Point Break, 1991.

Full Metal Jacket, up next. Haven't watched in years, don't remember everything, except the outstanding R. Lee Ermey.

*edit* sorry, nevermind, my bad, I don't know who Stanley Kubrick is, but FMJ is an overt affront to sensibility. Maybe I just forgot how to watch movies. I'm going back to superhero films.

I really liked the boot camp part of FMJ, but once they got to nam it was much less interesting.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And a large chunk of that was purely because of the casting of that Gunnery Sergeant as the DI.

"Okay, two meatballs, one tuna on wheat, and a lemonade ... that'll be $7.84"  Point Break, 1991.

Full Metal Jacket, up next. Haven't watched in years, don't remember everything, except the outstanding R. Lee Ermey.

perhaps manifested were still enduring disappointment from the olympic women's high jump field, none of whom managed 2.0.  dunno.  regardless, if you don't have at least one kubrick film on your top 10 list, then we must suspect that you has been replaced by a doppelganger (a skrull if you prefer) or that you is suffering from brain-eating amoeba.  paths of glory and dr. stragelove or: how i learned to stop worrying and  love the bomb both make our top 10.  

fmj is admittedly kinda two-movies-in-one. the second half o' fmj is chaotic and that understandably don't work for everybody.  even so, is excellent film with a few incredible performances and a number o' the more memorable scenes in movie history.  we like the dark knight, spider-man 2 and captain america: winter soldier-- is all fantastic films, but am not even gonna try and suggest that any o' the three were better than spartacus, much less fmj.  

'course different tastes in movies is perfect acceptable.  is not as if we need all appreciate raging bull or kurosawa's ran as much as did Gromnir.  

even so, am still voting for "brain-eating amoeba" as an explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm not unfamiliar with Kubrick, although I haven't watched everything he did. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a thrill for me.

Just couldn't figure out why FMJ has 'discipline' in abundance the first half, then it goes out the window--not the porthole. I'm no expert, but depicting long-haired 'Marines' who display zero combat discipline undermines what came before and what follows for the rest of the film. The 'period-accurate' sexism and racism in the movie didn't seem natural, either, just there to jar.

Anyway, no movies today, need to read and stuff.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Wasn't that guy supposed to have been a real Drill Instructor before he took up acting?

R Lee Ermey.  Had been a Staff Sergeant in the Marines after something like 11 years of service. Served time in Vietnam, and at some point post FMJ the Marine Corps made him an Honorary Gunnery Sergeant.

He had been brought on to FMJ as a technical advisor, but because he was so good at explaining it and showing it to the guy who was supposed to be the DI, Kubrick decided to have him play the full role.  Also of note, given Kubricks massively micromanaging and controlling type of directing, Ermey has been one of the few actors Kubrick allowed to improvise dialogue and actions. A massive chunk of the DI stuff were things that weren't in the actual script.

• Like 1

I finally watched Batman v. Superman. I'm conflicted, but leaning to not liking it. This was the Ultimate Edition.

Starting off with Batman's origin was senseless. The dream sequence was confusing. The movie tried being a slow paced thriller before turning into the blockbuster it wanted to be. The slow paced thriller was simply unfit for the rest of the movie and not that greatly done. No real following of the mysteries, just things happening in sequence and a reveal we all kind of saw coming.

When it gets to the blockbuster is when it gets good. But then it tries to be two barely connected blockbusters back-to-back and I'm not sure it worked out. I think that ultimately, the titular showdown worked. The buildup and reasoning were there. Batman is just so mad for everything that he blames Superman. Superman's just trying to talk and Batman won't let him. They fight! I was sold.

But when it tried to follow it up, it showed my number one complaint about comic book movies. They completely lack original ideas. Just once I want a comic book movie to create a new bad guy. I mean, aside from Superman 3 and 4. Here they basically mash two popular stories together without even bothering to build up to or earn the second one. And the contorted plot points required to get there are painful.

I'm just saying it'd be nice if they tried to build onto the mythos, instead of mimic it. That's part of what made these stories they're trying to retell so great in the first place.

It's not as if it can't be done, Batman The Animated Series created Harley Quinn. Then Batman Beyond was created for that same universe. What did Batman v Superman create? Or Civil War (even though I love that film), any X-Men, or Spider-Man film?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Taking the boy to Kubo and the Two Strings later... Will update

Update: I really liked it. Rivals Book of Life for best animated movie in the last 5 years.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Funny how people suddenly started hating Jared Leto after Suicide Squad.

He's a great actor, as shown in Requiem for a Dream, Mr. Nobody and Dallas Buyers Club.

I just know him as the guy from that ****ty band

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was looking for something fun to watch, and settled on Tropic Thunder.  Someone had complained about it here recently, so I thought maybe it just didn't age well.  I hadn't seen it in a decade.  

It was as great as I remembered.  Basically the Vietnam version of The Three Amigos.  Just a bunch of hilarious performances.  It was a perfect way to end a long week.    

Hey, it is still the best video game to movie adaptation around. Milla Jovovich is amazing.

Off the top of my head, I feel Silent Hill, WarCraft, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, Doom and Mortal Kombat are better video game adaptations.

Nope.  The original Resident Evil beats every one of them.  That is why they are on number 6.  It's embarrassing, really.  Milla Jovovich has managed to be better than Jake Gyllenhaal, Angelina Jolie, The Rock, Timothy Olyphant, and all the other people that have taken a hack at a video game movie.  She's a goddess.

I think a lot of people forget how good the original was.  Plus it was a good step ahead of the whole zombie craze that has been going on for the last decade.    

The first one was ok, then the third one was surprisingly ok, that's the one with the raven scene. There rest is utter tripe. 

There is nothing to make us engage with her character, she just stands around looking dazed whenever she isn't doing backflips and dual wielding uzis. At least she sortof had an excuse in that she was supposed to have amnesia in the first film from the KO gass in the opening sequence. She has been in genuinely good films, but resident evil.... please.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

A rainy day, just finished watching Raiders of the Lost Ark with the family, as usual fantastic entertainment, I never really noticed the Noirish elements in the film before strangely enough. Karen Allen is probably one of my all time favourite female co stars, and I wonder how they could go from her brilliantly tough yet fragile performance to the shrieking harridan of the next film in the series? In point of fact i'd like to sit quite a few directors (George Lucas, Ridley Scott etcetera) down and ask them where exactly their talent went.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The Fifth Element is one of my Mars movies. Its got an unbreakable hold over me and I will stop and watch it 100% of the time I see it playing.

I really like some elements of that movie (...I have a little bit of a soft spot for classic Bruce Willis action flicks), but I also really dislike others. It's really hard for me to sit through the entire thing as a result. 12 Monkeys is more my kind of jam, to be honest. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

A rainy day, just finished watching Raiders of the Lost Ark with the family, as usual fantastic entertainment, I never really noticed the Noirish elements in the film before strangely enough. Karen Allen is probably one of my all time favourite female co stars, and I wonder how they could go from her brilliantly tough yet fragile performance to the shrieking harridan of the next film in the series? In point of fact i'd like to sit quite a few directors (George Lucas, Ridley Scott etcetera) down and ask them where exactly their talent went.

:p

In contrast, I used to be just merely O.K. with Miriam in Raiders...but the more times I'd seen the movie, the more I loathed her. Willie from Temple of Doom, on the other hand, was incredibly annoying the first few times I watched the movie...but after more rewatches over the years, I actually grew to like her the best out of the lot, and I actually like Temple of Doom the best out of the three movies. >_<

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I really like some elements of that movie (...I have a little bit of a soft spot for classic Bruce Willis action flicks), but I also really dislike others. It's really hard for me to sit through the entire thing as a result. 12 Monkeys is more my kind of jam, to be honest. :)

I cant really explain it...Ive seen it dozens of times but I still laugh at all the same parts, the special effect hold up, and Ruby Rhod slays me. It doesn't suck seeing Jovovich either. :lol:

Interestingly Ive never been able to make it through 12 Monkeys. To this day I still don't know how it ends. :(

• Like 1

What a shame. :(

terry gilliam is kinda a dr. seuss for adults.  has a distinct aesthetic that surrenders realism in favor o' a rough whimsy.  protagonist is typically sane, but learns that the world 'round him is not. quixotic is norm. over-the-top is norm.  nonsense is norm.  less rhyming than dr. seuss. 

gilliam is not gonna be appreciated by all.  he brings a unique and immediate recognizable vision to movies, but that vision is not grounded in the ordinary or the recognizable... and at the end o' a gilliam film, the grinch will not be be carving up the roast beast as he enjoys christmas dinner with the whos down in whoville.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)