Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Velvet Goldmine. Great Soundtrack.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Batman vs Superman: Best modern comic/superhero movie. Also,  a HUGE FU to all the crybabies who whined about the first one. 10/10 just for that. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I have been hearing more positive reviews from regular people, so I'm thinking it might not be as bad as everyone says it is.  I expect it is a lot like Man of Steel, which isn't exactly a favorite for me, but hardly a bad film. 

Yes, I've been seeing that reviews and ratings from critics have been overwhelmingly negative, while ratings from non-critics have actually been pretty decent. Weird.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Deadpool - God what a juvenile piece of ****

Watching: Forsaken (the new one)

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well I recently watched Ant Man and it was tolerable  :p

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I have been hearing more positive reviews from regular people, so I'm thinking it might not be as bad as everyone says it is.  I expect it is a lot like Man of Steel, which isn't exactly a favorite for me, but hardly a bad film. 

the main complaint i heard about it is that it had too many plotlines for too many characters and it had no time to actually put it all together in a cohesive whole.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

He Never Died - Seeing Henry Rollins as a Cannibal was fun.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Watched Batman v. Superman and I can attest that movie is just downright garbage.

Also totally ruining Batman, Batman was horrible. Movie would have been way better if Batman was cut out of it (and the retarded final fight)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Batman v. Superman was meh. Its story was uninteresting, Luthor was awful character from script to acting. Superman felt like side character without meat on bones. I liked Batman even though this incarnation breaks rules established by comics (but I am not reader of Batman comics so I didn't care) . This incarnation of Wonder Woman also felt nice but hard to say as she had quite little of screen time, it is hard to judge her appearance or acting as we see her so little. Establishment of other DC characters and dream scenes and other things that underlay future movies were even worse than in Marvel's movies.

So it is watchable movie but I don't recommend seeing it if you don't like see that Affleck don't always suck being superhero.

EDIT: Also Doomday felt just another CGI monster that destroys things around him/it without any reason but carnage.

Edited by Elerond

I didn't mind the dream sequence of the future (except what's with the flying things?). Established well that Batman was bat**** crazy at that point... but what the heck timetravelling dude from computerscreen... I seriously was headscratching there. Maybe it made sense to people actually reading comics, I just watch the movies people.

And yeah, Luthor was rather bad. Also they utterly failed making a compelling reason for him to be evil rather than just "lol, he's evil. Now he's going to destroy the world cause... ehm... yeah... just roll with it"

Going to quote my other words from somewhere else:

And funny to re-read comments about Ben Affleck being just fine... the movie would have been 1000% better if they cut Batman out. Seriously, what the hell have they done to him. I can understand not reaching the Dark Knight Trilogy level, but this isn't Batman, this is some class A-moron. "He's good now, but he can become bad, so I need to pre-emptively kill him"... BATMAN? Seriously? (not to mention the whole murdering lexcorp then still somehow blaming Superman. Wtf people?)

Way to ruin your own heroes.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Maybe it made sense to people actually reading comics

From what I can tell it didn't. I haven't seen it yet but everyone I know has said it's 2.5 hours of incomprehensible depression interrupted with boring action sequences.

I'll see it next week, but Michael Shannon (General Zod) made an amusing observation when asked who would win.

I’m so utterly unconcerned with the outcome of that fight. So profoundly, utterly unconcerned. I can’t even come up with a fake answer. I guess I have to root for Superman because he killed me, so I would hope that he would continue his killing spree and become like a serial killer Superman. That’s a new take on Superman. We’d all be in a heap of trouble if Superman was a serial killer. He could just wipe us all out. But then he’d be lonely.

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Saw Batman v Superman:Dawn of Justice

Top Line: A good film that suffers from some poor editing - both in film and in script - that results in an overlong story that perhaps isn't as satisfying as it should be.

Overall, I was entertained by the film. There is a lot to like in the film (and in general there is a lot in the film). As to be expected, I suppose, of an introductory mash-up of characters. We get a lot of play on the fears of today (if MAN OF STEEL was a realization of 911 fears, then BvS is a reflection to the kind of post-911 reactions regarding blame and security).

Batman - who on his worst traits can be seen as paranoid - has that trait played up in this film; he reacts to try and prevent tragedy (this time a repeat of the destruction for MoS). Lois still the crusading reporter puts herself on the line. Superman sees a problem and wants to help - he can't waste the powers he has. This sets up all three (and many others) to being able to be manipulated by Lex Luthor.

Lex sees Superman as the ultimate father figure; but Lex's father wasn't a benevolent authority figure and so Lex fears the eventual abuse of everyone at the hands of a cruel, abusive Superman. And so he pursues an agenda to manipulate all the players to kill Superman - a goal he'll pursue if he has to destroy everything to achieve it.

Our main players ends up with a character playing their conscious (Alfred for Batman, Martha Kent for Superman, and Sen. June Finch for Lex). They all offer advice as they see bits of the puzzle and sense what is coming, but in a Greek Tragedy-ish way each main player remains dead-set on their path to the title fight. The fight itself is straight out of Comic Book Superheroes 101 - Superheroes have a misunderstanding, fight, eventually realize their misunderstanding and put aside their difference to face the real adversary.

Besides all of this over-plot there's several sub-plots going. And it is here the film gets somewhat messy; Perry White fights with Clark to remind us that the Daily Planet exists but serves no real point in the movie; Gal Godot's Diana Prince is trying to find a photo, and ties tangentially into Batman's plot until she transitions to Wonder Woman guise, but the story never explains why she decided to take Bruce's device when she's looking for a physical photo (she can't be looking for the scan (or only the scan) in his database and she never appears to get her goal despite deciding to leave Metropolis). We even get a Batman villain in the film (Anatoli Knyazev aka the KGBeast from the storyline "Ten Nights of the Beast") Most of it makes sense enough to hang together in the film, some of it though (the many, many dream sequences; why Luthor switches to the scorched earth policy) don't always make sense.

Affleck is fine as a Bruce Wayne driven further into his obsessions; Cavill plays his Clark Kent as still uncomfortable with bearing the weight of the world. Adam's Lois actually gets to be an active part of the plot and even though she ends up getting into danger (and thus needs saving) it doesn't feel as if she exists just for Superman to save. Godot's Prince seems to be the only character who actually is enjoying themselves (she seems to have fun bantering with Wayne at a party, and later seems to be enjoying a worthy fight). Eisenberg's Luthor appears to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown and highly in need of years of therapy and perhaps a nice vacation.

Snyder still has a sense of visual flair but seems to rely on a lot of the same things we'd seen in previous films. Also a lot of his problems from previous films carry over. There are several sequences I felt could have been paired down to be tighter (including the title fight which after a certain point I felt belabored the point; compare that to the fight with Doomsday which went on just about as long as it needed to to work as an exciting action sequence without feeling like the movie had lost all momentum). And I'd argue that tonally these films are going to become tedious if they continue to narrow the human experience to one without a sense of humor and Snyder in particular seems to have an errant need to try and shock the audience without really understanding whether the story needs the audience to be shocked at that point. And honestly the Dream Sequences feel like they hammer home things that would have been better addressed in real-time conversations rather than cryptic images of Blood and Thunder. The big egregious editing issue for me, though, is the order of the end sequence which frames Batman visiting Luthor in his cell by two different sequences of Bruce Wayne at Clark's funeral which seemed to be an unnecessary break in narrative time (Batman and Luthor could have easily happened prior to any of the funeral sequences to still allow for the end tease).

All that said, I think the film works overall and makes a solid follow-up to Man of Steel; it certainly isn't perfect (but neither was MoS0 but it does what it sets out to do and hangs together fine while doing it.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Also saw Bat man V Superman. I agree with Amentep, and think it suffers from editing woes. Particularly in the middle of the movie. They would have benefited from a stand alone Batman movie prior to this. Also a Wonder Woman movie, possibly.

My only issue with the movie outside editing is Luthor, but I wanted a more ruthless Luthor. This one feels too much like the Joker to make me like it.

• Like 1