The Funny Things Thread

Blarghagh

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

@Raithe: I don't get that one. Are those supposed to be number related puns?

I didn't get it either.   :p

use the French words for the numbers and be a little creative - e.g. 7 = Sept -> set     or    e9 = e + neuf -> enough

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 4

vFj51BG.png

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

bilingual girl puts woman in her place

So I'm a white Caucasian female, but I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English. Now, looking at me, you wouldn't know I can speak Mandarin, which is why I find it absolutely hysterical to mess with people. Especially when they come through my line at work speaking Chinese, and I understand every word they're saying. My coworkers find it especially hysterical.

Okay, so the other day this Chinese couple came through my line, and I asked them (in English) all of the usual questions about bags and if they had their rewards cards, all of that fun stuff.

Anyway, I started ringing up their stuff, and the wife said to her husband, "Tell her not to bruise the bananas," in Chinese and I didn't say anything. Then the wife said, "Tell the stupid girl to go faster," in Mandarin. I smiled at her and pretended like I had no idea what she was saying.

She kept commenting on how my hair was like a boy's (I have short hair, it's honestly not even that short) and how her grandfather would have gone faster than I was going, all of this in chinese.

And then she said, "Make sure she doesn't forget the water," in Chinese.

I replied in English, "I won't forget the water."

And I watched with enjoyment as a look of sheer terror spread across her face, as she realized I understood everything she had said before. She just stood there with her mouth open and her husband said (in Chinese), "This is why you shouldn't trash talk employees while they're standing right in front of you!"

I replied (in English), "He's right, you know."

They paid, then the husband apologized and left. After they walked out the door, my manager and coworker and I were laughing so hard.

Even though being a cashier sucks, it sometimes makes my day a little brighter when something like that happens.

#LANGUAGEGOALS

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

@Raithe: I don't get that one. Are those supposed to be number related puns?

I didn't get it either. :p

use the French words for the numbers and be a little creative - e.g. 7 = Sept -> set or e9 = e + neuf -> enough

Okay. Thanks, I was very confused at just how much of a stretch those puns were in English.

Thanks 2 kgambit 4 the explanation. L8r.

Doesn't work in French.

:p

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eighty in French is also <<quatre (four) vingt (twenty)>>. Hence, 80 blaze it YOLO 360 no-scope.

-Rod Serling

I could handle Spanish pretty easily, and I can count to 9 in Japanese thanks to a weird childhood mnemonic device.  But my exposure to French is pretty much limited to croissants.  

I did French in High School.  Unfortunately I did Spanish in college, which meant for awhile I would transition from one to the other (Typically start in spanish, finish in French).

I haven't used either for so long I can't remember a lot; wouldn't mind going back and refreshing either though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man