What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Lincoln might die, you don't want to miss it. Plus, Kree in the flesh.

Oooh. Shiny!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

LoT is a terribly written show. The recent episode required everyone to act as stupid as humanly possible to happen.

Probably still watch out the seasin, but yikes.

Sadly AoS has also been dumber than usual.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Heh, for that slight look back...

io9 - The cast of Alias demonstrate a dozen ways to say I had no idea what was happening

When it premiered 15 years ago, Alias was a spy show with a slightly spooky twist in that there were fantastical devices and prophecies, too. It stayed fun for a few seasons, and then the mythology became very dense. And it turns out that no one had any idea what any of it meant.

TV Line has a fabulous oral history of the entire run of Alias. If you’re a fan, the whole thing is a must-read. But near the middle, everyone gets asked if they understood the mythology, and every single person gives a different variation on “No ****ing way.”

J.J. Abrams explained that he wanted the Rambaldi plot from the beginning because he didn’t want the Sydney to always be dealing with the run-of-the-mill spy stuff like computer chips and data. But it doesn’t sound like the thought went beyond “let’s do a cool thing.” Abrams said:

It was all about just how impossible it is to comprehend, which was sort of the fun of the show. It was never about a particular storyline from the beginning. It was showing how confused she had to be. We had ideas where it was going to go, but nothing that was in any way written in stone. The better idea wins. And you never have the better idea at the very beginning.

Which may have worked for the writers, but man did it throw the cast for a loop:

JOSH APPELBAUM, co-executive producer: Are you asking me did I have a handle on it, or did the rest of the world? Because they understood it better than I did. I’m only half kidding.

JENNIFER GARNER: Victor had no handle on it. Sometimes I could piece together a bit of the Rambaldi plot. Sometimes I was pretty fluent in it, but definitely a lot of the time, it went over my head.

VICTOR GARBER:I had no idea what was going on, but I’m doing a show now [DC’s Legends of Tomorrow] that I have no idea what’s going on. [Laughs] I’m not very smart.

JENNIFER GARNER:[Ron] couldn’t [keep track of it]. He really couldn’t. He was so good at saying it, though.

RON RIFKIN: No f–king handle on it at all… Then poor Mia Maestro [as Nadia]… She had to fall through that glass floor. Oh, it was just terrible.

Oh, well that’s just an executive producer and three of the stars. Surely someone—

KEVIN WEISMAN: I’m going to go with yes. I got it. Of course I got it. I’m f–king Marshall, of course I got it and it was awesome. My favorite thing was the big red ball. The big red ball was kickass.

CARL LUMBLY: I rather appreciated the fact that the whole show at times felt kind of non-linear. It felt like even though it was chaotic, it seemed like there must be some invisible order to it that we just couldn’t pierce, and that’s what’s compelling to me.

GREG GRUNBERG: I didn’t understand any of it. I still don’t. I don’t get it.

Oh, well those people played characters who weren’t completely involved in the Rambaldi plot. Someone must have—

MICHAEL VARTAN: If I’m going to be honest, I had no idea what the hell was going on.

DAVID ANDERS: Yeah, it was pretty high science fiction. The red ball, and I don’t know, there was a device that incinerated a bunch of people in a church or something like that? I’m trying to recollect. I mean, there’s so much that I forget.

VARTAN: There were definitely times during the show when we were just saying our lines, just trying to be believable, but deep down inside had no idea what we were walking about.

Oh, okay then. So no one knew what they were talking about. Well, at least they and the fans were on the same page.

Read the whole story at TV Line, including Jennifer Garner musing on the episode were Sydney became a vampire.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Sky at Night featuring a look at Mercury with the recent solar transit upcoming, a very odd planet, but then again many heavenly bodies are strange. Followed by Kurosawa's Ran, the maestros take on Lear. I can't think of a better night of televisual entertainment, sometimes the beeb is worth the license fee, it's becoming rarer but the potential is still there.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Thought the second ep of Houdini and Doyle to be an improvement.  Indeed having done the set-up they are able to spend more time with the characters and the mystery.  Still some goofy things (why did the Constable accept dinner with Houdini when she knew it was part of a bet AND more importantly she knows her boss has already threatened her with firing if he finds proof that she and Houdini are having 'improper relations').

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This could be interesting...

Philip K **** is getting an anthology show

“Ronald D. Moore, Bryan Cranston, and Philip K. ****” are three names you probably never expected to see in the same sentence together. But that’s what’s happening as the longtime scifi producer and the acclaimed actor are teaming up to bring the legendary writer’s work to TV in a new anthology series for the UK.

Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. **** will be a 10-part miniseries written by Moore, who will executively produce alongside Michael Dinner (Justified, Masters of Sex) and Bryan Cranston, who will also star in the series itself. Each episode will be a standalone story that illustrates ****’s “prophetic vision” and “[celebrates] the enduring appeal” of the writer’s past work. Isa **** Hackett, whose past work includes The Adjustment Bureau and The Man in the High Castle and is ****’s daughter, will also produce the show.

****’s work has been adapted countless times into everything from TV shows to big movies, but it’ll be interesting to see how the writer’s short fiction translates to an anthology series like this—and the pedigree behind it is phenomenal. There’s a lot of promise here. No other details about its release have been made available, but Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. **** will air in the UK on Channel 4, and distributed across the world by Sony Pictures.

• Like 1

That reads like a top secret redacted governmental document as many times as "****" is censored... :p

• Like 3

What's so bad about SHIELD lately? I haven't had any problems

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think SHIELD suffered for several weeks from its typical "for expert spies these people actually suck at stealth, subterfuge and security" thing but in a more acute state.

This week they came off as mildly competent, so that was nice.  Overall I've liked the season, but I admit the last couple of episodes had really frustrated me.

They aren't really spies, more of a black ops team. May really seems like the only one I would classify as a spy

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

One would think a Black Ops team would be adept at stealth, subterfuge and security too, though, so my point still stands.

I guess Chuck severely lowered my standards, because they seem mediocre at worst to me.

use chuck as your standard for espionage is a bit like using a-team for black ops, no?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oh, for those fans who are still waiting to find out if it will continue..   It's Official, Supergirl Season 2 will be on the CW

As has been rumored for a while, Supergirl will get a second season. But it will move from CBS to the CW.

As time ran out for CBS to renew Supergirl, the idea to cut costs and move the show to the CW became a serious option. Supergirl was an immensely expensive show for CBS, with a very high license fee. Costs are going to be cut for the second season, with Supergirl’s production moving from Los Angeles to Vancouver. And CBS won’t own any part of the show anymore—while every other show on the CW is jointly owned and produced by CBS and WB, every show based on DC characters is the sole property of WB. DC, you’ll remember, is owned by WB.

There are so many reasons the CW makes a better fit than CBS. WB owning DC, for one. Presumably you don’t have to charge yourself licensing fees. The CW being the home of The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow another. And the fact that Supergirl’s viewership was significantly younger than CBS’ average.

So, with the show joining the other DC-CW shows in Vancouver and the CW, prepare for even more crossovers.

For the other side of the market...

ABC cancels Marvel's Agent Carter

After two seasons of fighting crime, Agent Carter has been given her walking papers. The ABC show, based on a character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has been canceled.

The show’s ratings slipped considerably in the second season—and with star Hayley Atwell already signed for another show (it’s called Conviction), the writing was on the wall. It probably didn’t help that Captain America: Civil War put a not-so-subtle period on the character’s long, exciting, and storied career in the Marvel Universe either.

ABC’s Marvel shows will continue, however. Agents of SHIELD is coming back for another season and spinoff a called Marvel’s Most Wanted is looking good too. But for Agent Carter, Jarvis, and the crew, that’s all she wrote.

Agent Carter not renewed?

But a spin-off starring the fired SHIELD agents is green-lit?

The world makes no sense.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Most Wanted is being reported by The Hollywood Reporter as being passed over by ABC, making SHIELD their sole Marvel show.

Edited by Amentep