Numerous FIFA officials arrested

BruceVC

I don't think Qatar was the issue here, at least for the US government, I'm pretty sure Russia is gonna lose it's spot as the next host.

Not going to happen. It's too late both in terms of getting bids redone/ reholding the vote and in terms of having a sound legal basis for it ie getting the robust legal case and convictions for corruption necessary to stop them getting sued to oblivion by Russia, Blatter would have to go anyway (and seemingly nobody seems to think he actually will be voted out, though he is... not great, to say the least) plus Russia was not a very controversial choice in the wider world- and unlike in most things Europe and the US doesn't get much especial privilege in FIFA any more, one of its few governmental bright spots. Qatar on the other hand... its main opponents were the US and members of its own asian confederation, it's annoyed the big euro leagues by having its WC have to be played in the middle of normal league time and some important sponsors (ie beer) won't even be able to sell their product at the tournament. That's the sort of stuff the power brokers really care about, far more than Qatar evil subcontractors working Nepalis to death or Dave Cameron becoming a quivering jelly at the thought of Vladimir Vladimovich's pectorals.

Nah, if Russia is implicated and guilty of bribing FIFA officials to win the 2018 world cup then the vote needs to be redone

And its not impossible  for other countries to host World Cup if the original country cannot host it for whatever reason

During the South African preparations for 2010 there were several other countries that were prepared to host it if we couldn't deliver 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, it happened with Colombia, but that's Colombia and not Russia. I still hope the WC is there though, because f**k the English if they want it instead. If they do take it away from Qatar, hopefully they put it someplace that inconveniences EU audiences watching on TV (also I'd want Australia to host it).

I suppose that is a problem with trying to be fair and letting each confederation have a turn hosting, the ME really lacks suitable hosts either for practical reasons or just the place being too risky.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, it happened with Colombia, but that's Colombia and not Russia. I still hope the WC is there though, because f**k the English if they want it instead. If they do take it away from Qatar, hopefully they put it someplace that inconveniences EU audiences watching on TV (also I'd want Australia to host it).

I suppose that is a problem with trying to be fair and letting each confederation have a turn hosting, the ME really lacks suitable hosts either for practical reasons or just the place being too risky.

What happened with Columbia ? Did they get the WC  and then lose it ?

Also this is not about the UK or USA getting the WC that were allocated to other countries. This is about FIFA meaningfully addressing systemic corruption that has been going on for decades....I'm not sure why we aren't all VERY supportive of these measures by the USA and Switzerland ?

We constantly talk about how corrupt and unethical large  corporations are and yet we seem hesitant to investigate FIFA because of the chance that Russia may have the WC revoked ?

Lets allow the investigation to follow its course and see where the chips fall :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Also this is not about the UK or USA getting the WC that were allocated to other countries. This is about FIFA meaningfully addressing systemic corruption that has been going on for decades....I'm not sure why we aren't all VERY supportive of these measures by the USA and Switzerland ?

We constantly talk about how corrupt and unethical large  corporations are and yet we seem hesitant to investigate FIFA because of the chance that Russia may have the WC revoked ?

Lets allow the investigation to follow its course and see where the chips fall :)

Colombia was awarded the 1986 WC but was unable to continue with preparations due to financial constraints.  After looking into alternatives such as co-hosting with Peru and Ecuador, the WC was ultimately given to Mexico in 1983.  

Here's a statement from the Swiss about their investigation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/swiss-prosecutors-statement-fifa_n_7448846.html

PS:  My understanding is that the starting point for the Swiss Investigation was Michael Garcia's 430 page investigation in potential vote buying for the 2018 and 2022 bids.  That would explain at least in part why FIFA has never released the full text of that report.   

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2

It's not merely Fifa. It's international sports in general. The people still governing those bodies have close ties or where installed by a German, Horst Dassler, the son of the founder of Adidas. He's argued to be the "founding father of modern sports corruption". Former Fifa head honcho Havelange, Blatter, IOC's Samaranch ... all really close pals of his he supported.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2012/07/15/a-quarter-century-after-his-death-web-woven-by-dassler-still-ensnares-soccer/

The question isn't whether there is corruption of a fundamental kind. The question is how deep it runs exactly.

Edited by Sven_

Lets allow the investigation to follow its course and see where the chips fall original.gif

Well, the UK's been pretty butthurt about losing to Russia - their bribery wasn't good enough - but then they are pretty sore about everything. As for the USA, well, there must be some reason they care about this (other than being concerned with Justice, heh).

FIFA being investigated is fine, but a WC in Russia would be nice, change from Western EU (the funny thing when reading discussion about this is the idea UEFA should dictate the way things go, so small confeds' votes shouldn't have the same weight, heh).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lets allow the investigation to follow its course and see where the chips fall original.gif

Well, the UK's been pretty butthurt about losing to Russia - their bribery wasn't good enough - but then they are pretty sore about everything. As for the USA, well, there must be some reason they care about this (other than being concerned with Justice, heh).

FIFA being investigated is fine, but a WC in Russia would be nice, change from Western EU (the funny thing when reading discussion about this is the idea UEFA should dictate the way things go, so small confeds' votes shouldn't have the same weight, heh).

Do you have evidence that the UK attempted to bribe FIFA....because that's a serious allegation and many would say is just scurrilous  :-

John Milton 

Yes, you realize this is a forum and not court, right ? But anyway, the amount of gifts and offers of favours that goes on to get the privilege of hosting these events is sort of an open secret by now, no (Olympics as well).

Think they tried handbags and sucking up to Warner (amazing how he pops up whenever there's crookedness about).

England's bid was the main one criticised for corruption in the FIFA report- or more accurately, the select bits of it that were released- into the 2018/22 bid processes. Of course, that was mainly quid pro quo because they whined like a 2 year old with broccoli and brussel sprouts for dinner, but if the Swiss are going to investigate based on the FIFA report then England won't escape scot (l0l) free either. Plus they came stone cold last, both the Spain/ Portugal and BelNel bids were better supported and ought to have first dibs. The Iberian bid may not be possible any more due to financial constraints, though they should have been looming in 2010 as well but I very much doubt England would win on a revote anyway, they're almost universally disliked as born-to-the-purple self important Napoleon complex under achievers, and that's just in Europe. US getting 2022 is far more likely.

I was thinking that perhaps they should just settle the World Cup location with a bidding system, subject to certain constraints. For example the restrictions could include: (1) only within a certain region (with the regions rotating), (2) only in nations that have suitable existing facilities, and (3) only one World Cup hosting to a nation per half century. That would eliminate one motivation for bribing the FIFA officials.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nike "becoming" involved now as well. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/27/meet-the-unscrupulous-executives-who-conspired-with-fifa-officials-to-funnel-150-million-in-bribes/

That's what you get with doing business with crooks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Teixeira

But then it's common wisdom that their rival Adidas had bought people early on.

I'd recommend reading this book to anyone if it were available in English, which it apparently isn't. The title sounds sort of tabloid sensationalist, but it's written by a respected journalist writing for some of Germany's most respected papers, such as Süddeutsche Zeitung. The problem with sports journalism is in parts that it's partly self-corrupting even if not meaning to do any harm, but Kistner's not one of those as far as Germany is concerned, not even concerning Germany's most proteced and gushed over sports that is football. The likelyhood that there was ever a host nation of a major sporting event that didn't have to do any under the table favours in the last decades is like ultra slim. An English-speaking equal would be Andrew Jennings, I guess, who has also written various books now, and who claims to have been the whistleblower of information that caused the most recent arrests on his Twitter.

Also, the link he posted to this "paper" is hilarious. http://www.newfifanow.org/uploads/9/8/8/1/9881717/iht_english_final_online_v2_%281%29.pdf :biggrin:

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 1

Well Blatter won. Good comedy watching Euros and Americans sneering at his backing from the smaller confederations.

An evil and crap leader for an evil and crap sport.  Perfectly matched. No doubt he's as  corrupt as the rest. It's been well known FIFA has been satanic for ages. Same with the Olympics.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Would be hilarious if EUFA pulled out of FIFA. Probably won't happen, but I would love to see the reaction from sponsors.

The corrupt standing against the corrupt there :lol:

By the way, for those who don't follow football and don't know who Blatter is, this is all you need to know about the man:

The woman is asking for a minute of silence for the passing of Mandela, but Blatter decides eleven seconds is more than enough.

Edited by JadedWolf
  • Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I actually felt sorry for him to be so misinformed to take The Onion as factual...I really did feel bad for him but I also couldn't help laughing  :biggrin:

John Milton 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/31/england-boycott-2018-world-cup-andy-burnham?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

England should boycott the 2018 World Cup because someone needs to take a stand against corruption in Fifa and military aggression by Russia, Andy Burnham, the favourite to be the next Labour leader, has said.

That'd suck to deny teams those 3 points.

I actually felt sorry for him to be so misinformed to take The Onion as factual...I really did feel bad for him but I also couldn't help laughing  :biggrin:

What a moron ......

http://www.theonion.com/article/fifa-frantically-announces-2015-summer-world-cup-u-50525

Global Soccer Tournament To Kick Off In America Later This Afternoon

:biggrin:

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

FIFA followup by John Oliver.

Apparently includes a cat who has it's own penthouse in Trump Tower.

• Like 3

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I am still confused how Blatter's ruined football rather than stuff like the excessive amount of money in the sport at a club level, as people whine over football being a business now.

• Like 2