Numerous FIFA officials arrested

BruceVC

I am still confused how Blatter's ruined football rather than stuff like the excessive amount of money in the sport at a club level, as people whine over football being a business now.

Pretty much this. Also it doesn't help that the mafia is so connected to football, well at least in my country.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I am still confused how Blatter's ruined football rather than stuff like the excessive amount of money in the sport at a club level, as people whine over football being a business now.

Well, the money at club level is going to the right people- rich Europeans- instead of the wrong people; everybody else, and that isn't so clear cut at the international level what with WC money being used for this 'development' rort where money goes to places like Papua New Guinea or Burkina Faso rather than to Berlin, Paris and London. It is somewhat hilarious to see quite so much tone deaf posturing from the Euros about everything, combined with a blithe inability to think of any reasons why those in the asian/ african/ actually every confederation except UEFA who they'd take all the development money off don't like them and vote for Blatter. And there are tons wanting to take their ball and run off to their own tournament so that control can rightly be reinvested in those lovely whiteys who ran the game for most of the past century for their own exclusive benefit- like the last English FIFA head who wanted apartheid South Africa and Rhodesia readmitted to FIFA, plus specifically lobbied and got a match vs Pinochet's Chile. In the stadium Pinochet had been using as a base for torture and mass murder, no less. Ah, good times, when the money went to the truly deserving...

My personal favourite though is the guy who managed to hit all of those points- including the why does everyone else hate us and there's no conspiracy except from people who vote for Blatter- then added that it was going to be great because Russia would lose the WC, and it would be late enough that they'd have to give it to someone who really deserved it and would run it 'properly', yep, the US or England. Who only got 2 votes and were beaten by both the BeNel and Iberian bids let alone the Russian one but clearly deserve it because Wills and Dave were so very depressed or something and people told them they'd vote for them then didn't so obvious bribery from everyone else. Yep, way to make sure there's no credence given to the conspiracy theories about it all being an anglo plot to take tournaments when they can't win legit and that there's no arrogance or self superiority in play either.

• Like 1

I've been saying this happens for the past 10 years. It's actually shocking that it took this long for some big guns to get caught. Corruption is inevitable in whatever business as long as the money is doing all the talking.

Well Blatter won. Good comedy watching Euros and Americans sneering at his backing from the smaller confederations.

Blatter chose the right strategy, rather than the exorbitant sums needed to buy the superpowers, he just bought all the smaller and cheaper votes.

Besides, all it takes is for him to call his old friend Putin and people starts to mysteriously suffer from radiation poisoning symptoms :p

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well Blatter won. Good comedy watching Euros and Americans sneering at his backing from the smaller confederations.

Blatter chose the right strategy, rather than the exorbitant sums needed to buy the superpowers, he just bought all the smaller and cheaper votes.

Besides, all it takes is for him to call his old friend Putin and people starts to mysteriously suffer from radiation poisoning symptoms :p

Yes, this

Sadly the African countries have been manipulated into believing that " Blatter is a victim of Colonial powers and he is the right person to fix the rampant corruption that he has presided over the last 30 years"   :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hasn't Blatter given the federations like AFC and CAF money and attention, and given the Blessed Europeans' snobbishness and sense of superiority, can you really blame them for liking that ?

Does play a part, but it is a bit unfair to assume the only reason one could like Blatter is corruption (and the Euros are being led by Platini, who was FOR Qatar, by the way.)

That's the comedy about this, Euro babies stamping their feet because their puppet didn't win and expressing attitudes that basically the World Cup shouldn't include "unworthy" nations.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@SportsCenter: BREAKING: FIFA president Sepp Blatter announces he is resigning from his post.

Good.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Does it really change anything ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Change, or at least the appearance of change can start from the top. Look at the Catholic Church.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Yeah, appearance of change. I guess Africa and Asia should feel somewhat apprehensive.

The FA’s chairman, Greg Dyke, is delighted and asks questions about what will happen to the two World Cups (2018 and 2022) that are at th heart of the corruption scandal that has enveloped Fifa: “Something has come out of the events of last week that has caused Mr Blatter to resign … He’s gone. At long last we can sort out Fifa. We can go back to looking at those two World Cups. If I were Qatar right now I wouldn’t be feeling very comfortable.”

Heh.

Edited by Malcador

@SportsCenter: BREAKING: FIFA president Sepp Blatter announces he is resigning from his post.

Good.

This is the BEST news I have heard all day by far, his resignation is long overdue  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, appearance of change. I guess Africa and Asia should feel somewhat apprehensive.

The FA’s chairman, Greg Dyke, is delighted and asks questions about what will happen to the two World Cups (2018 and 2022) that are at th heart of the corruption scandal that has enveloped Fifa: “Something has come out of the events of last week that has caused Mr Blatter to resign … He’s gone. At long last we can sort out Fifa. We can go back to looking at those two World Cups. If I were Qatar right now I wouldn’t be feeling very comfortable.”

Heh.

Malc if either Russia or Qatar paid a bribe to get there WC you do agree the vote must be taken again?

John Milton 

Sure, as long as everyone else who put up bribes in those votes is excluded from the re-vote.

I am afraid that while it's certainly good to see Blatter going, I am afraid that after the next election the credo will be meet the new boss, same as the old.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

To be fair, those earlier arrests + Blatter's resignation is a not insignificant chunk of FIFA leadership. Thats a good starting block for reform.

• Like 1

Sure, as long as everyone else who put up bribes in those votes is excluded from the re-vote.

But I am not saying Qatar and Russia can't resubmit there intention to host a WC, I am just saying it must be fair vote this time with no bribes 

John Milton 

Hopefully Platini doesn't run, he's bent as well and the optics of this scandal and with the Euros throwing a tantrum only to replace him with the UEFA head aren't good. Guess Ali will run again, though he's pretty suspect as well.

Good.

This is the BEST news I have heard all day by far, his resignation is long overdue :yes:

So he just won re-election after the media buzz of corruptio and now he resigns? Seems the rumors about some leads pointing to his involvement are true then and he wants to vanish and hide all the money before he will get arrested

As "Have I Got News For You" put it: Blatter's re-election couldn't be called off, the votes had already been paid for. :D

While it's certainly good news, the thing is that those who are going to vote on the next FIFA president, on things like accountability, term and age restrictions, and everything else in FIFA, are exactly the same people who re-elected Blatter because they profited from his system, and who often are proponents of similarly corrupt organisations at the national levels (and that includes UEFA associations, as well). Change won't come easily; we can see this with other sports organisations like the IOC (probably slowly getting better) or the cycling federation (let us have a moment of silence for what was once a sport...) I can't say much about American sports.

We'll see.

As for the next World Championships, Russia is probably too soon to be called off, now. Also, playing football in Russia isn't an inherently bad idea. Qatar, on the other hand...

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Wouldn't think so, so long as nothing really momentous happens- they have near 50% of the vote tied up just in their own federations, so long as they pick a unified candidate, and the Euro tactic of picking an Asian member to stand against Blatter got no traction last time and didn't split their votes. They'll get plenty of support from the smaller assocs in Oceania and North America as well, turkeys won't vote for an early Christmas and the Anglos/ Euros are publicly sharpening the axes and bulk buying cranberries.

That's all dependent upon the 'rules' being followed though. If they have apprehension it would be about the Anglos/ Euros tearing up the rule book all in the name of saving the game for whitey from (oddly, ethnic specific) corruption. As mentioned, it's hardly like Platini didn't vote for Qatar himself, nor like Germany didn't win the 2006 tournament in shady circumstances.

Good.

This is the BEST news I have heard all day by far, his resignation is long overdue :yes:

So he just won re-election after the media buzz of corruptio and now he resigns? Seems the rumors about some leads pointing to his involvement are true then and he wants to vanish and hide all the money before he will get arrested

What I find interesting about Blatters resignation is the complete turnaround he has demonstrated

So he has always been very intransigent around resigning and he won the election a few days ago for FIFA presidency 

You would think he was in a very strong position yet he resigned ? So the question is "  why now "  and " why suddenly "  

I don't believe his comments he made as the reason he resigned..  "  FIFA needs a profound restructuring !!! "

No this has never bothered him in the past, I think evidence was presented to him that irrefutably showed he was directly linked to the various corruption charges, he was given a choice

"  Resign or we go public. But if we go public it will be a messy affair and we prefer not to " ....so he fell on his sword at last  :blink: 

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Blatter reconsidering resignation?

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2491089/sepp-blatter-reconsidering-his-fifa-resignation-report?ex_cid=sportscenterTW

Bwahahahahahaha!

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

I really hope he decides not to  :blink:

John Milton 

• 3 months later...

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini suspended for at least ninety days.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/4/blog/post/2653404/blatter-and-platini-provisionally-banned-by-fifa

Hopefully it will lead to a more permanent purging.

• Like 1