What are you playing now?

Are you referring to the "Pantaloons Enigma" (and if so, what makes it a Fallout easter egg?) or is there something else that crosses the entire saga?

Spoiler: (No really!)

Because when you complete it, you get an iron golem like armor with a flame thrower and a rocket launcher, and energy minigun.

bigmetalunit_b01.jpg

bigmetalrod_b.jpg

Phew, I was almost afraid I missed out on something, but yeah, I can see how that could give a Fallout vibe (I gave mine to Jaheira btw, bit of a shame you only get to play with it for relatively short amount of time)

I'm kinda putting of the RE: Revelations 2 bossfight and have gone back to an old Skyrim playthrough (I also played some PoE and DoS). I seem to have a really hard time sticking with one game and finishing it lately...

Edited by marelooke

I "finished" (as much as you can, that is) Her Story. Actually it's fairly well done, but I have that song stuck in my head now. Will probably last a while. Damn. 

edit:

Viva Seifert also reminds me a lot of Claudia Black.

Especially when she is Eve.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Gah ... I almost tossed my controller across the room, then I remembered that you can issue commands to your companion in Resident Evil Revelations 2.

There was a gate that you opened, but it was on a short timer.  If you didn't get through the gate in short order, it closed on you.  At first I attempted to run from the switch to the gate, but couldn't make it no matter what I tried.  Then I remembered you could order your companion to "wait", so I had one character wait by the gate, and the other went all the way back to operate it.  Voila!  I made it.

So far, the game is fun, but it's just not inspiring the same giddiness I felt when I played through Revelations 1.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Were there a lot of complaints about the difficulty of Resident Evil Revelations 1?  Because so far there hasn't been a single tough battle in Revelations 2.  And I'm done Claire's portion of Chapter 3, and in the middle of Barry's.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Finished Resident Evil Revelations 2.  That was a ... uh ... weird ending.  It just kind of ended abruptly, as though there should be another chapter or so to go.

Overall, it was solid.  Still didn't top Revelations 1.

Liked Arkham Knight enough that I grabbed Arkham Origins for the complete set. I definitely don't remember the last gen games looking this bad, but that's kind of how the memory goes, isn't it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been playing around with Final Fantasy Online and RPGMaker 2003.  I've created a nice map of the Gulf of Mexico and I'm thinking about recreating the Narvaez Expedition.  We'll see, I've got time over the summer.  :)

• Like 1

Liked Arkham Knight enough that I grabbed Arkham Origins for the complete set. I definitely don't remember the last gen games looking this bad, but that's kind of how the memory goes, isn't it?

Is it better, worse, or on par with Arkham City?

I finished Portal Stories: Mel.  It's a really well made standalone (ish) mod and quite meaty.  It's more or less the size of a full game, which is damn impressive for a free mod, and the puzzles and well designed and thoroughly challenging.  Unfortunately, the final challenge is terrible (why do so many games falter during the finale?).  It's a decent idea and makes sense in the context of the game, but, unfortunately, it centers around the single most inconsistent and touchy mechanic in all of Portal (largely because in the base game it was never meant to be used as a game mechanic).  Portal works because its mechanics are consistent and predictable, basing the finale around a mechanic that is inconsistent and making it time sensitive to boot was a big mistake.  Still, it was a really great experience overall.  Everything before the very end was quite fun.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Is it better, worse, or on par with Arkham City?

I don't remember Arkham City well. I'm trying to replay the entire series, so I might be able to answer later.

My initial impressions is that it feels cheap. Part of that is because it looks like butt (they probably all do compared to Knight) and because I hate this VA for Batman.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I finished Portal Stories: Mel.  It's a really well made standalone (ish) mod and quite meaty.  It's more or less the size of a full game, which is damn impressive for a free mod, and the puzzles and well designed and thoroughly challenging.  Unfortunately, the final challenge is terrible (why do so many games falter during the finale?).  It's a decent idea and makes sense in the context of the game, but, unfortunately, it centers around the single most inconsistent and touchy mechanic in all of Portal (largely because in the base game it was never meant to be used as a game mechanic).  Portal works because its mechanics are consistent and predictable, basing the finale around a mechanic that is inconsistent and making it time sensitive to boot was a big mistake.  Still, it was a really great experience overall.  Everything before the very end was quite fun.

Probably because developers feel they have to do something unique for the grand finale. That's the moment when they try to invent something new that wasn't done in the game before or was rarely used.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Probably because developers feel they have to do something unique for the grand finale. That's the moment when they try to invent something new that wasn't done in the game before or was rarely used.

That drives me mad when developers do that.  Hey, you know everything that you did and learned throughout the entirety of the game up to this point?  Throw that out the window, it doesn't apply to the finale.  It's particularly maddening for a puzzle game.  Over the course of a puzzle game you learn various mechanics and tricks and apply them in various ways.  The finale should be a culmination of everything you have learned during the game.  Specifically, in the Portal games it's all about using your brain, wrapping your head around the different mechanics, the physics behind them, and how to apply combinations of them to overcome obstacles through logic.  Once you figure out the solution the execution is quite simple as Portal isn't a twitch game, it doesn't require split second moves or precision platforming or precision aiming.  Everything in Portal Stories: Mel up until the very last challenge is like that, it's all about using your brain and wrapping your head around combinations of mechanics to overcome seemingly impossible obstacles with logic.  In contrast, the final challenge, from a logic standpoint, is dead simple.  The execution is the challenge, and not because it requires difficult jumps or aiming, but because the mechanic used is inconsistent and extremely touchy, making a simple job frustrating.

I need to again stress, though, that I really liked Portal Stories: Mel.  95% of the game (everything before the final challenge) is really great.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Anyone played the remastered version of the original Resident Evil?  I'm tempted to pick it up for the PS4, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate the control scheme (hated it in the original version -- one of the only aspects of the game I didn't like).

It's like the GameCube version, just with a better resolution. Not sure how much you can change the gamepad settings, but the few minutes I've tried it, it felt exactly like on the old GC (except for the better gamepad..)

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Never played the GameCube version.  I played on the old ... was it the PS2?  Or still the PS1?  Whichever system it first came out on for the Playstation.

Never played the GameCube version.  I played on the old ... was it the PS2?  Or still the PS1?  Whichever system it first came out on for the Playstation.

The remake is a far superior version to the one that came out for the PS1, but the control scheme is the same. You can only walk forwards or backwards and turn very slowly, and you can't run and gun. The controller's gotten better though. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh, that reminds me. I am not 100% sure right now, but isn't in the PC release a new option to disable the "tank controls"? Though, I personally probably wouldn't play with it... because the ugly tank controls are what makes Resident Evil for me. :>

/Edit: Jup.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/resident-evil/Resident_Evil_Version_Differences

Edited by Lexx

Thank goodness they give you an option to use modern controls.  The main reason I could never bring myself to replay the original Resi games is the horrendous tank controls.  I hated those controls so much, even back in the day when they originally came out.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

What about the retarded camera?

9/10 you can hear zombie but not kill it unless you walk two steps forward, change camera perspective and run straight in its arms.

At least RE3 had dodge/pushback.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, you can always use auto-aim to find out if there is an enemy in the room or not. Never had problems with that- RE1 isn't exactly a very fast game.

Edited by Lexx

Finished off GTA V, well the storyline anyway, will putter around doing random things and doing the usual rampage but I guess that is it until my last friend gets off his ass and builds a new PC so we can play online. Will go through GOG backlog, Port Royale or The Guild 2 are striking my fancy currently, so will flip a coin.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trying to go through with a second play through of RE Revelations 2.  Like I said earlier, it doesn't have the same appeal to me as Revelations 1 did, so I'm sort of slogging through rather than doing it because I absolutely must play again.  Mainly, I'm just doing it for the achievements.

Sword & shield gameplay is surprisingly fun in Skyrim, shield charge makes the combat almost good.

Still disappoint there's nothing to do after Dragonborn. Cool new powers and shouts usable on nothing.

There should have been one more expansion in Roscrea or Atmora.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Got the "other" ending in Resident Evil Revelations 2.  Actually, I did the sequence that will lead to getting the other ending.  I just have to finish off the final chapter/episode for each character now to get there.

With Portal Stories: Mel completed I needed something else to play, so I went back to playing Strife and decided to learn a new character.  I decided to try to play as Iah.  So far I'm liking her a lot' she's quite versatile.  Primarily she's used as a support as she can help the team in a variety of ways in a team fight with her ability to crowd control, buff allies' resistance and attack speed, and heal allies.  She's also one of the better split pushing heroes in the game since she can summon sand elementals.  The elementals don't do all that much damage and they only stick around for 6 or 7 seconds (or less if they're killed), but she can have 2 of them going at any time, they don't cost particularly much mana, and the ability has a super low cooldown (2 seconds), meaning she can spam them out indefinitely, as long as she doesn't run out of mana.  The elementals will tank tower hits for her, meaning that Iah doesn't need to wait for a brawler wave, she can siege without one.  I mean, theoretically anyone can siege without a brawler wave, but they'll take tower hits, which are detrimental to their health, and tower damage scales with level, so they're always a danger, even at max level.  I give her warp boots, an essential item for split pushing, as it allows you to tp to any ally or allied structure, Hexbane, a useful item pretty much always (it hexes an enemy for 2.5 seconds, making them unable to use any ability), and I try to give her mana and mana regen items early to get her to the point that she can spam out elementals forever and still have enough mana for her other abilities comfortably.  I overdid it last time with mana regen items; I got to the point where I was regenerating mana much faster than I could possibly ever use it, so next time I'll back off a bit on the mana regen and get her more power or survivability.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸