What are the highest required Mechanics skill?

The title pretty much says it all. I have a rogue with mechanics 12 and I am wondering if there is any point in spending additional points in the skill. I haven't found a reference to anything requiring mechanics 13, but it would be a shame if I were to "dump" points into some other skill just to later find some traps I can't disarm or chests I can't open.

The +2 gloves are a random drop, so I don't think they should be considered. If you find them, that's great, but they're not a reliable factor.

2 points can be easily shaved off with lockpicks and resting bonus. Rite of Hidden Wonders adds further 3 points, but it isn't craftable. So you could get away with 7 Mechanics and use the scroll in a pinch.

Ten worked fine for me through the endless paths. There were a few (maybe 3) traps that I wanted to cross but could not remove. I just moved everyone away and sent Eder in like the Hurt Locker guy, he made his saves.

This is a good place for Itumaak, the EOD dog :)

• Like 1

10 is enough for everything outside od nua.

After 3 trips thru the game I'm not sure that's true.

Anyways, these gloves are fustrating. One game I get 3 pairs, zero the next. Tip toeing around some traps you can't disarm is not so bad. But there are some items that require high Mechanics to be able to find.

Somethings to keep in mind:

There are at least two inn that offer mechanics resting bonuses.

There is a scroll that will give you +3 mechanics for like 3 minutes.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Ten worked fine for me through the endless paths. There were a few (maybe 3) traps that I wanted to cross but could not remove. I just moved everyone away and sent Eder in like the Hurt Locker guy, he made his saves.

This is a good place for Itumaak, the EOD dog :)

Itumaak doesn't trigger traps.

• 1 year later...

This might have been correct at the time but I thought I would post to correct this if people are playing now. There are now numerous traps that require more than 12. I was just testing in Galvinos Workshop in White March and there are traps requiring 15 points and I believe there is a chest requiring 16 in the crag bluffs.

Edited by bjon045

This might have been correct at the time but I thought I would post to correct this if people are playing now. There are now numerous traps that require more than 12. I was just testing in Galvinos Workshop in White March and there are traps requiring 15 points and I believe there is a chest requiring 16 in the crag bluffs.

Can confirm this, 12 is not enough to disarm some white march traps, though you can just walk around them or use items. I think 12 is still the number to aim for unless you are ocd about having to disarm everything.

Edited by falchen

10 +2 Gloves of Manipulation +2 Caed Nua Bonus should be enough to get trough everything , you can use scrolls of hidden wonders if something requires more

I believe that the resting bonus and gloves suppress each other unfortunately. At least prior to 3.0, I have not tested since then.

From what I remember there were two traps needing 15, a handful of 14 in galvino's and the final act sun in shadow.  The chest in cragholdt bluffs has a key to it on the captain mercenary I believe.  I would get 11 mechanics and then on a normal character and have gloves handy to swap in, while having a skill slave character to grab the 15s when wanted. You will just a have to dodge a few traps in the final act though.

Edited by nem0

The max bonus you can have for mechanics is +8 (+2 gloves, +2 resting, +1 salty mast, +3 scrolls) and for opening locks you can also use lockpicks which add another +2. But if you have a party just max mechanics on one of your party members and don't bother anymore.

• Like 2

FYI re: WM - high level scaling effects traps. Therefore a level 9 trap in standard gameplay will be a level 12 trap with high level scaling. While Galvino's workshop is a tough crawl without a rogue, it becomes impossible to even *find* some traps unless you have one if you take the option to scale.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

In the expansion(s), yes.

In the vanilla game there are a couple of trapped containers that you need 12 mechanics to disarm, but they are in Od Nua and the +2 resting bonus helps

In the expansion(s), yes.

In the vanilla game there are a couple of trapped containers that you need 12 mechanics to disarm, but they are in Od Nua and the +2 resting bonus helps

Returning to the core question what's the magic number to get all the loot (including the expansion, ignoring floor traps)? Is 14 (including modifiers) enough?