Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

I have the same issiu with my save and loading times. When i started the game a quicksave was instant, now i'm 36 hrs in the game, my quicksave takes 10 seconds.

The same is for loading times when i change zones.

Here is a link with my savegame folder and the temp one too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-_Bil1ZXgt6fkI0WW1hNUp6Vi1iQTJhLXFtdVNkWmJvcTlTVUtlUmtJbjRxNVZ0Wm14Nk0&authuser=0

Sadly that didn't work for me. Admin or not, network on or not... loading with Admin ON and Network off even takes 23 seconds (without Admin, it takes 20 seconds). My MobileWhateverItwascalled file inside the save is a whopping 7mb though. It compresses nicely but it's still 7mb...

In all cases I tested (Hearthsong House of Six -> Outside -> Back in) load times were between 21 and 23 seconds.

So now in Act 3 Hearthsong..

In Hearthsong the situation got worse, changing AREA's and quickloading takes now 20 seconds. And I wish I was joking. I looked at the clock (because it takes forever to change areas or load from a party wipe now)

Save size is now 3.8mb

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8o3b7owl27pck5x/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_14501915_Hearthsong.zip

The save menu itself with 20 saves takes about 5 seconds to open. This feels very sluggish and slow but I could live with that. But what I can't live with it quicksaves taking a good 14 seconds, quickloads taking 20 ! seconds or entire area changes taking 20 seconds. I am talking about "From Hearthsong into Market" and back (40 seconds altogether load times) that's longer than I was in the market itself.

You may think "20 seconds is nothing" but it is a lot. To explore you enter and exit tiny areas all the time, these take 20 seconds to load going in, and 20 seconds to load going out add up to many many minutes of wasted time and waiting. Worse if you are often quicksaving (as you should) and often saving in new slots (as you, normally, should)

So load/save and area change times are constantly increasing, and very much so. By 500% for me.

I have 16GB Ram, Win7 x64 and both Game and OS on a Samsung 830 SSD

I've been trying to delay going to Hearthsong, knowing what a bear it's going to be while this problem persists.  Hoo boy...

In the interest of bringing more attention to this issue, I'll post my own savegame and info.

Savegame

Here's my latest savegame.  (Uploaded and shared through Google Drive; if there are issues, I can find another hosting service.)

System Specs

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, ~3.2 GHz

Windows 7 Professional

16 gigabytes RAM

Game installed on SSD, Windows installed and savegames located on standard HD

Description

As with the original poster, starting at around 20 hours of play time, the process of saving games and loading new maps began becoming increasingly lengthy.  Quicksaving now takes around 15-20 seconds to complete; transitioning to a new area takes 30 seconds or more.

As a temporary measure, if the problem is too complex to resolve in time for the patch this week (or unable to be replicated at Obsidian), I would suggest enabling an option to turn off autosaving after map transitions.  Saving will still take much longer than it should, but at least navigating the game will be less frustrating for those of us experiencing this problem.

So now in Act 3 Hearthsong..

In Hearthsong the situation got worse, changing AREA's and quickloading takes now 20 seconds. And I wish I was joking. I looked at the clock (because it takes forever to change areas or load from a party wipe now)

Save size is now 3.8mb

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8o3b7owl27pck5x/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_14501915_Hearthsong.zip

The save menu itself with 20 saves takes about 5 seconds to open. This feels very sluggish and slow but I could live with that. But what I can't live with it quicksaves taking a good 14 seconds, quickloads taking 20 ! seconds or entire area changes taking 20 seconds. I am talking about "From Hearthsong into Market" and back (40 seconds altogether load times) that's longer than I was in the market itself.

You may think "20 seconds is nothing" but it is a lot. To explore you enter and exit tiny areas all the time, these take 20 seconds to load going in, and 20 seconds to load going out add up to many many minutes of wasted time and waiting. Worse if you are often quicksaving (as you should) and often saving in new slots (as you, normally, should)

So load/save and area change times are constantly increasing, and very much so. By 500% for me.

I have 16GB Ram, Win7 x64 and both Game and OS on a Samsung 830 SSD

I've been trying to delay going to Hearthsong, knowing what a bear it's going to be while this problem persists.  Hoo boy...

In the interest of bringing more attention to this issue, I'll post my own savegame and info.

Savegame

Here's my latest savegame.  (Uploaded and shared through Google Drive; if there are issues, I can find another hosting service.)

System Specs

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, ~3.2 GHz

Windows 7 Professional

16 gigabytes RAM

Game installed on SSD, Windows installed and savegames located on standard HD

Description

As with the original poster, starting at around 20 hours of play time, the process of saving games and loading new maps began becoming increasingly lengthy.  Quicksaving now takes around 15-20 seconds to complete; transitioning to a new area takes 30 seconds or more.

As a temporary measure, if the problem is too complex to resolve in time for the patch this week (or unable to be replicated at Obsidian), I would suggest enabling an option to turn off autosaving after map transitions.  Saving will still take much longer than it should, but at least navigating the game will be less frustrating for those of us experiencing this problem.

I tried loading your save (pure from the menu, without an autosave in-between) and for me it takes 46 seconds to merely LOAD and over 30seconds to quicksave in that, wow. I would consider that unplayable. For fun I tried moving to Hearthsong with your save and it took nearly 65 seconds to load. Yes that is longer than 1 minute.

I dunno how you can even play with that. I am complaining about 20 seconds ^^ Your save has well over a minute load time from caed nur to Hearthsong for me. I also notice you have 2 people more than I do. Could that be related?

Ps.: At least it is quite funny that we play the same class and even the same paladin "category" ;) Except your avatar is way way prettier...

Pps.: Your MobileObjectsSave in your savefile is over 46mb !

PPps.: Deleting MobileObjects in the save file breaks the savegame ;p But it loads a good 35 seconds faster (under 10 seconds) sadly into a black void ;p

Edited by eRe4s3r
  • Like 1

I tried loading your save (pure from the menu, without an autosave in-between) and for me it takes 46 seconds to merely LOAD and over 30seconds to quicksave in that, wow. I would consider that unplayable. For fun I tried moving to Hearthsong with your save and it took nearly 65 seconds to load. Yes that is longer than 1 minute.

I dunno how you can even play with that. I am complaining about 20 seconds ^^ Your save has well over a minute load time from caed nur to Hearthsong for me. I also notice you have 2 people more than I do. Could that be related?

Ps.: At least it is quite funny that we play the same class and even the same paladin "category"  ;) Except your avatar is way way prettier...

PPps.: Deleting MobileObjects in the save file breaks the savegame ;p But it loads a good 35 seconds faster (under 10 seconds) sadly into a black void ;p

I snagged the Pillars guidebook off of Amazon, and I've been doing a lot of reading between loading screens  :rolleyes:

I may actually put further progress on hold until I can get some kind of fix.  If I knew anything about coding, I'd take a crack at modding the game files to turn off autosaving myself.

And woo, go team Truthadin!  Actually... wait, what if that's the common link?   :blink:

Solutions I've tried, no success/change:

Running game with admin privileges, disabling IPv6, running steam client and game with admin privileges, updated nvidia drivers to most recent version, ran system cleanup (ccleaner).  

Ps.: At least it is quite funny that we play the same class and even the same paladin "category"  ;) Except your avatar is way way prettier...

I snagged the Pillars guidebook off of Amazon, and I've been doing a lot of reading between loading screens  :rolleyes:

I may actually put further progress on hold until I can get some kind of fix.  If I knew anything about coding, I'd take a crack at modding the game files to turn off autosaving myself.

And woo, go team Truthadin!  Actually... wait, what if that's the common link?   :blink:

I hope that is not the common link ;P Anyway... I have put the game on hold as well. Looking at your save I noticed I (apparently) completely missed a NPC too probably because I told her off very harshly... but for me 20 seconds are already aggravating enough. And there is still an entire "city" waiting for you too.... so I can understand not wanting to suffer through these load times.

And I dunno if auto-save not being there would really make that 2nd city any less a suffering for you. That save takes 46 seconds to load without auto-save (from menu) after all. ;) I consider everything above 5s unacceptable. But everyone has a different patience level for load times, mine got very low as I got older ;)

I have the same issues, I had the same problem in the beta and was very pleased to see that the loading/saving times were much improved in the final version, but as soon as I had a certain number of companions (I think it was the 6th) the loading/saving times increased greatly. now I am afraid to accept more companions, will it get even worse?

has anyone tried to empty the inventory of unused companions? it really is next to gamebreaking, I love the game, it's far better than I hoped for, but I just don't feel like playing like that. a first countermeasure would be the possibilty to disable autosave to zone transition is at least less painful.

I did some trying aroudn in a solo game, and that also suffers from the same problem, but in much much smaller way, thus i assume that it has something to do with amount explored*amount of characters available, so the more guys you have the faster it goes up.

WTB: news from devs :<

EDIT: also found some chests that have loot every time you transistion in to the area it's in, that might have something to do with it.

Edited by vegetable

I'm having exactly the same issue, though I'm starting from pretty subpar hardware and 20-30 second saves was my starting point. I'm up to 2 or more minutes between loading screens, and I've noticed the dimmed or black screen before loading is happening for longer, and longer. It wasn't something I noticed consciously until after acquiring my 7th companion, and I noticed a distinct spike between acquiring the 7th and 8th companions, as I got them quite close to each other.

I am having this issue as well.

I even went so far as to create a junction from my HDD to my SSD and deleted ALL of my savefiles but one.

Loads are upwards of 20 seconds every loading screen and I'm about 20 hours in.

My C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment folder is about 15 MB

My C:\Users\***\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment is now 45 MB

Going to try to create junctions for these as well and see if it solves the issue.

Hardware for reference

Win 7

Core i7 940 overclocked to 3.51 GHz

6 GB Ram

AMD 7970 3 GB

1920x1080 resolution

HDD for game and saves is a Samsung EVO 850 500GB with 80% free drive space.

Game is installed and all save and temporary files have had junction points created to point to the SSD.

Edited by aeschlar

I have long loading times too. I have an Dell XPS 12 with - I thought - good hardware except the graphic card. But to my surpise, no performance problem with graphic, but long loading times. 30+ secounds from beginning. This really kills the game experience.

I have similar issue. Don't have SSD, the game takes more and more time to load any location as I progress.

Another thing I've noticed: there's a big lag between screen fading to black and Loading screen appearing. I clearly remember that in the beginning there was no pause there.