Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dialogue Sound issue glitch

sound dialogue bug glitch issue speech

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Niranloh

Niranloh

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

So I began playing the game yesterday and really got into it in no time at all.  I am really pleased with the intricacies of the game logic and love the narrative writing.  The visuals and music are also absolutely stunning.  The one little glitch-type issue I am running into, which is rather disorienting after getting immersed in the game, is that sometimes the character voice overs start part-way through their dialogue. 

This has happened from time to time both in legitimate dialogue as well as when characters speak to comment on something while just wandering around.  An example of this is would be if a character were to say something like: "We should be careful in this place." the text will display just fine (thank goodness) but the audio voice over might start somewhere like:  ". . .ul in this place."  Although I often read subtitles and such, it is still really bothersome.  I have not seen any other posts about this issue and thought that if anyone else was experiencing they could comment, suggest fixes, or get Obsidian's attention to patch it.

• vv221 likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's actually been reports of this issue ... someone towards the end of the below thread figured out that for the Steam version at least, it can be/may be related to network/router issues, and the developers were able to reproduce that. Might want to check that out. May not be the cause for everyone, however.

http://forums.obsidi...ce-delay/page-8

Insurrectionist

Insurrectionist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As someone who had the problems referred to in the linked thread, that's a completely separate issue. In that case, the audio played exactly as normal, it simply had a delay of several seconds before they started playing. This happened both for soundbites you get when selecting/ordering characters around, and for actual dialogue. Using the workarounds in the thread solved that for me completely as well as the other issues mentioned there.

Now that I've had the chance to actually play I've gotten the same issue as Niranloh. Whenever Calisca has a line of dialogue (not the soundbites which are fine), the audio starts randomly several words into the clip, generally in the middle of a word. So far it hasn't happened with Heodan at all, only her. It's nothing huge but it does make things a little grating when she has several lines of dialogue in a row or the like.

Edited by Insurrectionist, 27 March 2015 - 03:08 PM.

IcosahedronXIII

IcosahedronXIII

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

I've got a GoG release and have also experienced this, usually after skipping a dialog before it finished narrating it, the following bit will start at the very end of the sentence and finish abruptly. However, this has also occurred without me interacting with the dialog in any way.
Will look for a specific conversation that has this issue (as I believe it's more of an isolated case with a few dialogues rather than a recurring glitch) and place a savegame here.

IcosahedronXIII.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

As someone who had the problems referred to in the linked thread, that's a completely separate issue.

-----
*squints at the original post*

Ah...you're probably correct. My brain mistook the "character voice overs start part-way through their dialogue" part as a delay, not missing words/dialogue.

Apologies for my erroneous conclusion/solution direction. original.gif

Nomadicstorm

Nomadicstorm

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think it's necessarily a separate issue. I had the exact same problem as Niranloh, and then tried disabling my network connection as per the tips in the linked thread - and the problem disappeared. It reappears when I re-enable my network connection.

azurestrike

azurestrike

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have this issue as well and it is so infuriating. It breaks the immersion completely.

I can't read the text because it's different from what the voice is speaking so I have to wait until the character finishes speaking his half of line, trying to ignore what he's saying so that I can then read it from the top.

This happens with Durance for me and I really want to listen to what he has to say...

Styger

Styger

Ancient Skáld Warrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:0:2591221
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

Reporting in on this issue as well, GoG release. Doesn't happen on every character, but Durance and Calisca are affected by it. Not sure if it's related to the sound loop you get with the scroll closing, that was goddamn awful. Although closing and opening the game helped with that issue...

ThreeSon

ThreeSon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have this issue with the Steam version. However, with me it seems to occur on a per-game basis and is not necessarily affected by network configurations. Meaning that I started three separate playthroughs, and on two of them, Calisca had broken speech, but on one of them she didn't, and I hadn't changed any settings at all between each attempt.

One fix I have tried since then is to use Windows firewall settings to block the PoE exe from outgoing connections, but this didn't seem to fix it.

Edited by ThreeSon, 28 March 2015 - 11:13 PM.

Demosthenes928

Demosthenes928

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just chiming in that I've also experienced this issue on the Steam version on Windows 7.

ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I experienced this briefly during a single conversation but it happened for several lines. It seemed like it might be related to clicking to progress the dialogue mid-sentece for the voice overs.

vv221

vv221

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I experienced this with the GOG Linux version.
game version: 1.0.2.0508
GOG archive version: 1.0.0.1

I’m using a Debian Sid amd64, and you can see my full hardware setup on the following page:
http://www.dotslashp...xtras/lshw.html

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have the same problem. GoG version on WIndows 8.1

I attached my dxdiag in a separate thread because I had missed this one.

http://forums.obsidi...-cut/?p=1618130

Justinian

Justinian

Judicious Dropbear of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I got this on a new character. Calisca started skipping the first few words of her voice lines in the starting map. Reloaded the game and it resolved itself. Any idea what causes this? It's quite an annoying bug.

Edited by Justinian, 03 April 2015 - 04:22 AM.

Baladas

Baladas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 295 posts

Bump.

I get this too.

Noticed at the start when Cassia says "....... gone hunting"; 

which should be " What a surprise, Smurfles gone hunting."

Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So someone suggested this is actually worse on the new patch? Can anyone confirm? My game is GOG so still waiting on patch.

http://forums.obsidi...t/#entry1633271

Arasaka

Arasaka

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm having this issue as well with Calisca. The voice acting starts halfway through the written dialogue.

Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is apparently even worse after patch 1.3...

http://forums.obsidi...-over-gets-cut/

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Kickstarter Backer

It would be cool to hear something from the devs.

I tried disabling IPv6, but the other stuff like VPN and the other stuff you can see in the sticky topic about common issues don't help (I don't even have any of that stuff on my pc).

• Merina likes this

boffmoffet

boffmoffet

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am currently experiencing the same bug in which reactive party dialogue only seems to play halfway through the scripted recorded audio.

I do not recall having this issue with my first character, but each character after that now suffers from the bug.  This began occurring before 1.03 and has persisted afterwards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sound, dialogue, bug, glitch, issue, speech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users