Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deciding on a starting character.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Polanski

Polanski

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Hm... It partly depends on what companions are available (I'd prefet not to make mercenaries).
Is it confirmed we get no rogue companion?

yes, we have no rogues today.

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd say that ciphers seem to be most interesting story wise, but I'll still play as rogue on my first playthrough because no npcs have this class and because I like dps-ing.

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1273 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hm... It partly depends on what companions are available (I'd prefet not to make mercenaries).

We have no rogues but Eder went from a fighter to a rogue and back to fighter during the development cycle and he is also supposed to be relevant to the plot line so I am hoping he retained enough of his roguish ways to suffice as a lock/trap man... (or that one of the other CNPCs has rogue tendencies)

That said I am pretty much planning to have my character prepared to take on the rogue abilities whether he is a rogue or not.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts

We have no rogues but Eder went from a fighter to a rogue and back to fighter during the development cycle and he is also supposed to be relevant to the plot line so I am hoping he retained enough of his roguish ways to suffice as a lock/trap man... (or that one of the other CNPCs has rogue tendencies)

No idea what you mean.  If you want any of the characters to deal with locks, traps or sneak, you just assign them points in mechanics and stealth.   No connection to class at all.

• Luckmann likes this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

That said I am pretty much planning to have my character prepared to take on the rogue abilities whether he is a rogue or not.

I would be a bit surprised, though. Edér is a farmer, and I guess that there's nothing expressly that he can't be good with mechanics, too, but I would be a bit surprised.

On the other hand, I'm not sure who else it would fit, to be good at Mechanics. Kana Rua, maybe, Aloth? Maybe arguably. Can't really imagine any of the others being mechanically inclined, so it might've defaulted to Edér.

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

For those with chanter issues... try White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead. While it is dependent on where the corpses lie, it is a very potent DPS invocation. While not as great as Thrice She Was Wronged was, it still has a massive range, and deals significant damage in a radius around each corpse. If you've got five corpses around one target, that one target will be hit five times. It also doesn't feel as OP as Thrice She Was Wronged did, as it's not going to be the best invocation to use in every situation, but when the situation is just right, it is devastating.

Ok - I really like the idea of a chanter - I've just found them a bit boring. I've been going for a dwarven tank, sword and shield + cautious attack. Sky high deflection. He's very useful, no doubt, just well boring. But I will try your idea out. For me part of the problem is the delay while you are waiting for your chants to power up. Just seems to long before he can cast. And then you wait again... :banghead:

Kelstrom

Kelstrom

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Hey guys, my first post :)

I was thinking of making a chanter with blunderbuss / arquebus using http://pillarsofeter...rows_with_Speed  Depending on the dexterity of the other companions they will be either tanks or riflemen :)

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have three I am split between. A pale elf chanter, a moon godlike paladin, or an orlan cipher. I am think chanter at the moment. I like that's its a unique approach to a bard like class, which I have a weak spot for, and they are actually viable in melee. Its a match made in heaven for me.

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

Anathematized Apostate of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Definitely going high-int Barbarian (Logen Ninefingersish). If you build your party around around carnage they become absolutely monstrous. The story NPCs I'm interested have synergy buff/debuffs tailored made for a carnage build anyways. Durance/Kana/Gina/Mom/Hiravias will be the A-team. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy, 23 March 2015 - 05:11 AM.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Good luck, folks! It took me over eight months to finally settle on my first. :grin:

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1273 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It will be interesting to see how (and when) the CNPCs will be introduced (other than the temporary ones that will be available at the start) 

Re: Eder and rogue abilities - it makes sense to me that if they thought about changing him to rogue during development at least part of the reason for that was likely to be the desire to provide a rogue CNPC and if that's the case then it also makes sense to me that when they decided to change him back to fighter they may have given him enough skill to fulfill the essential rogue abilities like locks & traps since they were NOT providing a rogue CNPC (except temporarily at the start) -

and yes I am well aware that mechanics is not a class related skill but in order to max it out you have to give up on other skills which may not be in line with how you want other characters to develop - it does not always have to be just about the numbers...

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

An aggressive tank is awfully tempting, if only because Resolve and Perception are no doubt going to be tied to a lot of the dialogue choices that I'm interested in. But I'm probably going to have to go with a Cipher for the mind control.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

An aggressive tank is awfully tempting, if only because Resolve and Perception are no doubt going to be tied to a lot of the dialogue choices that I'm interested in. But I'm probably going to have to go with a Cipher for the mind control.

Just based off the cipher specific dialogue options in the beta that class has peaked my interest. Some of the most interesting developments as a result of being a cipher.

Kordanor

Kordanor

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As PIP-Clownboy I am most probably going for a high Int Barb. It’s great to finally have the possibility to play a Melee Character who isn’t extremely dumb.

My alternative would be a rouge. But his abilities and talents are extremely unsatisfying imho. Especially Backstab on lvl 2 which is only possible with Invisibility, which is a level 4 talent you can use 2 times per rest. Maybe (and hopefully) that changed with the latest version. Though I also need to check if they did anything on the Barb Skills/Talents Blooded, Greater Frenzy and in addition the Bloody Slaughter.

In both cases I am going for high Int and Lore for dialogues. Which also means that my rogue will not have enough points for a high stealth and mechanics skill. This job will then be passed on to some of the Story-Companions.

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As PIP-Clownboy I am most probably going for a high Int Barb. It’s great to finally have the possibility to play a Melee Character who isn’t extremely dumb.
My alternative would be a rouge. But his abilities and talents are extremely unsatisfying imho. Especially Backstab on lvl 2 which is only possible with Invisibility, which is a level 4 talent you can use 2 times per rest. Maybe (and hopefully) that changed with the latest version. Though I also need to check if they did anything on the Barb Skills/Talents Blooded, Greater Frenzy and in addition the Bloody Slaughter.

In both cases I am going for high Int and Lore for dialogues. Which also means that my rogue will not have enough points for a high stealth and mechanics skill. This job will then be passed on to some of the Story-Companions.

You really don't need backstab for a rogue. Sneak attack works darn well, and you save a talent.
  • Luckmann likes this

Kordanor

Kordanor

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's two talents then, as Shadowing Beyond doesnt have much of another purpose (besides of fleeing from combat).

Which makes the total count of useful rogue specific talents...well...0

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

You really don't need backstab for a rogue. Sneak attack works darn well, and you save a talent.

This. Backstabbing from Stealth or Invisibility is of very limited value, since Invisibility is only 2/Rest and you can't Stealth in combat (or even choose to tactically deploy in combat once it's started, you either initiate from Stealth right away, or you can forget about backstabbing at all), and you most often do not want to initiate with your rogue and get swarmed (enjoy that Engagement and Action Recovery penalty for trying to get away).

There are much better choices for a Rogue.

The Backstab Talent and the Shadowing Beyond Ability are pretty much trap choices, imo.

Edited by Luckmann, 23 March 2015 - 10:12 AM.

Kordanor

Kordanor

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, but they somehow feel like core/universal rogue abilities. So I hoped they somewhat "fixed" them.

Polanski

Polanski

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

Just based off the cipher specific dialogue options in the beta that class has peaked my interest. Some of the most interesting developments as a result of being a cipher.

Question: Does the cipher-specific dialogue also trigger if one of your companions is a cipher and your main is not? 

I am really torn over if I should pick a cipher or not, knowing that I will want Mother as a companion the whole way through.

Edited by Polanski, 23 March 2015 - 11:16 AM.

Myrten

Myrten

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Question: Does the cipher-specific dialogue also trigger if one of your companions is a cipher and your main is not? 

I am really torn over if I should pick a cipher or not, knowing that I will want Mother as a companion the whole way through.

I'm pretty sure it only triggers for main char.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users