Another incident with black men getting shot by police

Drowsy Emperor

I have just watched the live press  interview on Sky  with the North Charleston Police  Chief about this incident 

He said he was sickened at what he saw but he kept getting interrupted by people screaming at him...the whole issue of the Police abusing there power and targeting minorities in USA has really become a volatile situation. People obviously assume that there will be no justice when these types of events occur  

Link?

I saw the press conference and no one was screaming at anyone.

For a change, the mayor and police chief should be commended. Far too often, when stuff like this happens the mayor and police chief try and justify murder, if not help cover up the incident.

There were several disruptions when people shouted at the Police Chief, he even said at one time he was going to end the interview but he continued

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have just watched the live press  interview on Sky  with the North Charleston Police  Chief about this incident 

He said he was sickened at what he saw but he kept getting interrupted by people screaming at him...the whole issue of the Police abusing there power and targeting minorities in USA has really become a volatile situation. People obviously assume that there will be no justice when these types of events occur  

Link?

For a change, the mayor and police chief should be commended. Far too often, when stuff like this happens the mayor and police chief try and justify murder, if not help cover up the incident.

There were several disruptions when people shouted at the Police Chief, he even said at one time he was going to end the interview but he continued

Link or it didn't happen.

Link?

I watched the interview on Sky on the TV but I'll see if I can find a podcast or something similar :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Link?

I watched the interview on Sky on the TV but I'll see if I can find a podcast or something similar :)

No sure what Valsuelm was watching but the crowd did shout out when the Police Chief was talking (not during the Mayor's address though) .....  I'm not sure I would call it screaming but there were disruptions .... 

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28743212/live-now-on-abc-news-4-police-release-details-on-officer-involved-shooting

About 8 mins in there were cries from the crowd of "No Justice"  while the Chief was talking ....

• Like 1

Link?

No sure what Valsuelm was watching but the crowd did shout out when the Police Chief was talking (not during the Mayor's address though) .....  I'm not sure I would call it screaming but there were disruptions .... 

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28743212/live-now-on-abc-news-4-police-release-details-on-officer-involved-shooting

About 8 mins in there were cries from the crowd of "No Justice"  while the Chief was talking ....

Yes this is exactly what I saw, thanks for the link with the video ...I couldn't find one :)

John Milton 

Are rubber bullets not a thing anymore?

There does seem to have been a spate of over-reaction by the police lately, a friend of mine who had just finished bitter divorce proceedings was recently ambushed at work by armed police, his ex wife said that he was carrying a "cowboy" pistol and so six cars full of armed response police turned up to arrest him. This despite him having no previous criminal record at all, and there being only one witness to him supposedly carrying this weapon, his bitter ex wife. After a full search of his property, a body search and a night in the cells he was released on bail that stopped him working for a fortnight, as he's a security consultant.

He was released from bail and the charges dismissed, but one has to wonder why a local Bobby didn't just drop by and ask him a few questions, the gentleman is large and rather brutish looking but there was no cause to suspect him of any crime, and this was surely an over-reaction and definitely a waste of money and resources.

The vindictive [rhymes-with-punt] deserves jail time, period. I'd hit her with no less than 6 months, no parole or reductions for "good behavior".

And, no, rubber bullets are only employed to break up riots. They're special issue and aren't generally available. Here in the States we all have access to live ammo, so having the chamber and magazine of your service sidearm loaded with non-lethal ammo is a great way to end up dead. Our felons have no qualms about pulling the trigger, so it's jacketed hollow points or you're asking for a long, long nap.

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

it is a vicious cycle

bad police behavior leads to distrust from civilians. that makes criminals more brazen. police gets more brutal in response. civilians get harrassed more often by the police. dissidense grows. crime rate goes up. police gets even more aggressive. throw the terrorism wildcard in the mix and the police militarization that resulted from it and now the civilians see police as an occupation army and the police sees everyone as guilty until proven innocent.

add now some crazy laws like the one that allows police to accuse and "arrest" your property (civil forfeiture) and you get a really unstable batch of TNT

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Woohoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHrGmRRMtXc

"Jesus Christ, man down!"

Actually, you can see him flying upwards.

Yeah I saw this, the good news  is he survived 

John Milton 

Cop was playing too much GTA on PC.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I will never understand how cops can even get away with all this in the USA. I just don´t get it. Land of the free...more like police state.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Have seen them do this before, lower speed though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I will never understand how cops can even get away with all this in the USA. I just don´t get it. Land of the free...more like police state.

It remains to be seen if he'll get away with it.

Thing is, you can hear over the radio that somebody calls for police to "stand off" when he lets off a shot — a rather sensible approach. Max Damage here couldn't pass up this chance to score a "Piledriver Bonus".

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Don't think he'll get charged with all that much. Reading cop forums over incidents like this is always fun, reading comments that this is fine because deadly force was justified regardless of the tool. Then again, lots of comments that the dude in Charleston was really a threat and brought his death on himself probably means I am reading looneyville.

I think - even in a situation where deadly force might be justified - the tool is important.  They didn't train the cop in

, they trained him to use guns, rifles, tactical rifles, shotguns, pepper spray, batons and/or tasers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There is no way the cop gets a pass on that, look at all the damage to the car.  

edit:  Ouch, I guess he was cleared.  Although the suspect was firing off his rifle while walking, so hard to have too much sympathy for him.

Edited by Hurlshot

There has to be a better way to handle that. Plenty of situations where suspect has a gun and the cops take them out without such a blanat disregard for morals. Just because the suepct has no regard for human life doesn't mean the police should have none either. The cops are supposed to be better than your common criminal. FFS The standards really have fallen low.

I actually believe there's a certain part of scoiety who wish that prisons were more like how they used to me when prisoners had no rights and could be tortured and abused at the jail's whime (still happens but it's definitely not as common).

That cop should lose his badge but likely got praised for his evil. Even the voiceover (cop?) seemed surprised and disgusted by it as a natural reaction.. though, I bet, when push came to shove he probably defended the scumbag cop.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There has to be a better way to handle that. Plenty of situations where suspect has a gun and the cops take them out without such a blanat disregard for morals. Just because the suepct has no regard for human life doesn't mean the police should have none either. The cops are supposed to be better than your common criminal. FFS The standards really have fallen low.

I actually believe there's a certain part of scoiety who wish that prisons were more like how they used to me when prisoners had no rights and could be tortured and abused at the jail's whime (still happens but it's definitely not as common).

That cop should lose his badge but likely got praised for his evil. Even the voiceover (cop?) seemed surprised and disgusted by it as a natural reaction.. though, I bet, when push came to shove he probably defended the scumbag cop.

As far as i understand it, the cops are trained to shoot. Where i live, leathal force it the LAST thing ever to do. And even then you get shot in the shoulder/leg etc anything that doesn´t mean instant death. An officer shooting someone 8 times in the back would be instantly sit in jail and wait for a murder trial which very likely would go through. Not so much in america. Hell even shooting someone once without a good reason can ruin your police job here and thats how it should be. Police should never stand above the law, they need to be held accountable even more so because of their profession and the power they have.

Otherwise you might just say openly that this is a police state and your rights go as far as the next officer allows it without pulling a gun on you.

• Like 2

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

The right to bear arms works bad in a lot of ways:

The populace is armed, so criminals need to be armed. Coming from a country where barely anyone has a gun (the Netherlands), the criminals are rarely armed. And if any shootings occur, in 90% of the cases it's criminal on criminal violence.

Because the populace is armed and the crimals are armed too, the cops are always under threat.

Add to that obvious lingering racism in the USA, and you get this.

Is there a fix for this? No, I don't think so.