What you did today

Tale

where Gromnir loves in the foothills, mountain lions is a serious concern, particular in summer months or drought years, though we have never been concerned 'bout the possibility o' being attacked.  we always figured that with a couple largeish and noisy border collies (they is females but both in the 40lb range,) we needn't be too worried while on our walks/runs.  we had heard, anecdotal, that some coyotes in our area hunted in familial groups and would attack even larger dogs, but we has always been most concerned by threat o' accidental surprising a rattlesnake or possible coming across a diseased rodent or skunk that might bite our dogs.  the thing is, we gots an acquaintance who is a game warden and he informed us that we had our head lodged up our arse regarding mountain lions.  it would seem that a solo person walking or jogging with dogs is statistical much more likely to be attacked than is a solo person w/o dogs. conversely, no person in CA has ever suffered a mountain lion attack when they were with at least one other person-- is always solo people who is targeted.  bringing one o' more dogs with us on walks/runs is sorta like setting out a "free-buffet" sign to hungry mountain lions?  so it would seem.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Actually Grom you might have just dropped the biggest clue of all. My first thought was coyote because we are hip deep in those. But Both Tommy & Sunny are a fair bit bigger than the average coyote and if there was more than one I'd have heard them. Plus whoever heard of one coyote on it's own? Nah if it was a coyote, even two or three I think they would have been the ones running.

I thought it might be a bear, although I've never seen hide, hair, track nor tell of one. And they would have been more injured if it were.

We don't have big cats like mountain lions but we DO have bobcats. That is the most likely I think. They are smaller than either dog but they do pack a lot of fight in a small package. Plus whatever it was turned back both dogs without making a sound. I only heard them.

Of course that doesn't rule out they fought each other, but I think Bobcat makes the most sense.

Like you guys I was quite creeped out by this whole thing. When the sun comes up I'll take a walk down there and see if there are any tracks.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's the Others.

Nope, their eyes are still brown. :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Like you guys I was quite creeped out by this whole thing. When the sun comes up I'll take a walk down there and see if there are any tracks.

I'm interested to see if you can determine what it might have been?

But I like Gromnirs idea, it makes sense 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hm, I've been using Ikea products for as long as I can remember and I've never really had problems with it, despite everyone always complaining. However, I think I just had my first experience with true Ikea incompetence.

I moved about two months ago (moving in with my girlfriend) and somehow during that move I lost the metal slat things that allow you to put drawers into a wardrobe that I got from Ikea. So I went there with my instructions booklet, showed them exactly what I needed and what the serial number for the parts was, and they ordered two sets that they would send to my adress. I literally saw them fill in the right information and saw that they ordered the correct thing.

The day after ordering, I got a message that the package was delayed. This week I finally got a message that it was sent. Then I got a message that it arrived, but it hadn't arrived. Thankfully my name is on the mailslot so the person two apartments below me, who received the package, realized that it had the wrong number on it and gave it to me. So I finally had my package...

I opened it up just now. It contains a single sky lantern.

:wacko:

Follow up on my Ikea story. They're sending me the drawer carriers now and I get to keep the sky lantern since they, according to them, don't even sell those. I am amused and confused at the same time. :lol:

I took the pups inside and cleaned them up but I was still very curious. I went upstairs to my office in the loft, pulled a chair to the window and opened it and set my Winchester .300 on the sill. It has a Nikon P223 scope which has a unusually large aperture for a rifle scope so it's good in low light. I watched the treeline for a good 40 minutes but nothing ever came out.

Don't know what the heck it was and that is one mystery that may never get solved.

If you turn the 40mm scope down to 5 power it has a 8mm exit pupil, the max for the human eye is about 7 so its about as bright as a scope can make it without NV. Its amazing what a good scope with 98% light transmission and a 7mm exit pupil can do, its like a mini night vision device. So at 5 power the scope should make the brightest picture while the ''twilight factor'' gives it a max range of 140 meters for providing a clear picture. (not taking its quality into account. )

I'm curious about the signs & tracks. In any case, a 300 with 220 grainers is good bear medicine. Well, medicine against anything else that crawls or walks.

What I did today: fittingly, I just bought Butler Creek flip covers for my Weaver 3-10x40:

scope_zpshpw19vl5.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

That scope is sexy. Maybe because it reminds me of the Canon L lenses. Or just because it is.

Today I woke up, did laundry, then headed out to meet with a real estate agent I know. Annnnd car wouldn't start. So now I'm waiting for the agent to come pick me up. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That scope is sexy. Maybe because it reminds me of the Canon L lenses. Or just because it is.

Today I woke up, did laundry, then headed out to meet with a real estate agent I know. Annnnd car wouldn't start. So now I'm waiting for the agent to come pick me up. :D

That's sexist. My scope wouldn't appreciate a comment like that.

Its because my scope is silver white, not black, isn't it? 

You goddamn racist.  tongue.png

Its silver because I wanted to put it onto a stainless steel rifle but had to scrap that plan. Put it onto this rifle instead, which gives it kind of a unique look. Nobody puts a silver scope on a blued rifle because it looks...odd.

Agent 47?

Edited by Woldan

The mystery of the Cold Creek monster will stay a mystery it seems. I walked down to the creek bed this morning and I easily found where it happened but I’m still not sure what happened. The only tracks I could find were dog. I followed the creek all the way to the river and back and found signs of chipmunks, deer, squirrels, even raccoon. All harmless to two large dogs.

Don’t know what to say on this one.

Thomas Sowell

The mystery of the Cold Creek monster will stay a mystery it seems. I walked down to the creek bed this morning and I easily found where it happened but I’m still not sure what happened. The only tracks I could find were dog. I followed the creek all the way to the river and back and found signs of chipmunks, deer, squirrels, even raccoon. All harmless to two large dogs.

Don’t know what to say on this one.

Fine, I was curious to see where you live. I'm not ashamed of being a stalker. I'm also allergic to dogs so I had to do something to chase them away.

Actually Grom you might have just dropped the biggest clue of all. My first thought was coyote because we are hip deep in those. But Both Tommy & Sunny are a fair bit bigger than the average coyote and if there was more than one I'd have heard them. Plus whoever heard of one coyote on it's own? Nah if it was a coyote, even two or three I think they would have been the ones running.

I thought it might be a bear, although I've never seen hide, hair, track nor tell of one. And they would have been more injured if it were.

We don't have big cats like mountain lions but we DO have bobcats. That is the most likely I think. They are smaller than either dog but they do pack a lot of fight in a small package. Plus whatever it was turned back both dogs without making a sound. I only heard them.

Of course that doesn't rule out they fought each other, but I think Bobcat makes the most sense.

one thing to note is that coyotes typical do attack the face o' their prey.  unlike wolves which frequent go after large prey, coyotes usual food source is smaller than themselves and as such they go for face rather than hamstring.  track for a large coyote will be very dog-like and is gonna be in the 3"L x 2.5"W range, though is typical smaller although proportions is the same. no doubt you will continue to have a mystery, but we wouldn't necessarily discount the "lone coyote theory."

*chuckle* 

and we has personally seen large hunting dogs get their snoot bloodied by raccoon.  am recalling hunters tell stories about raccoon luring big dogs into a stream and then drowning by climbing on top o' the dog, but that is pure anecdotal stuff and possibly hokum. 

am personal lucky with our dogs 'cause two o' the potential more dangerous critters don't seem to be a problem for us.  we have far too many deer in our area, and as hunting is verboten, the deer is quite bold. even so, while we frequent see deer during daylight hours, none appear where we run/walk our dogs.  a splayed deer hoof, attached to those delicate looking deer legs, will cave in a dog skull as easy as gallagher going at watermelons with his mallet.  and as silly as it sounds, wild turkeys could be a serious concern. our dogs will go tearing after jack rabbits and other critters if they see 'em, but they got absolute zero interest in the ubiquitous wild turkeys we have in the area.  male wild turkeys grow a very nasty spur on the back side o' their legs.  that spur can do serious damage.  

HA! Good Fun! 

ps is not a perfect method, but to distinguish a large coyote track from a similar sized dog, we looks at outside toes (which is bigger than middle toes on the coyote) and narrowness o' the print as coyotes is narrower than most dogs. even so, depending on quality o' the track, we has flubbed such identifications.  is info you likely already know, so please do not take as patronizing as it is not intended as such. we screwed up on a coyote track once 'cause o' poor quality o' the tracks and 'cause the freaking coyote musta been 60lbs, which were outside our experience at the time. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If I met a real estate agent who looked like Agent 47, I think I'd look for another agent, heheh.

Nobody puts a silver scope on a blued rifle because it looks...odd.

Probably not good for camo when you want camo, either. wink.png

The L lenses are my pr0n. I'm just weird that way.

110219233598aefafaf5607178.jpg

...although some people decorate/slipcover them, apparently. They're definitely not good for subterfuge. :lol:

8001qv.jpg

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Had to put down one of our cats today. I'm completely devastated.

When me and my girlfriend moved to where we live currently, we noticed a stray cat sneaking around. He was very scared, very skittish. After many attempts, I managed to get him to come to me and sniff me a bit. Noticed he was basically a skeleton, so very thin. Didn't think he'd survive. Started feeding him little by little, noticed he had worms so gave him medicine for that as well. Noticed that he was quite the old cat, stiff limbs and not many teeth left. A real "veteran". We later found out that he actually belonged to a family in the neighbourhood. Considering how scared he was (he ran away like lightning if you so much as walked by carrying something in your hands) most likely the previous owners had thrown stuff at him.

Eventually, we decided that he could move in with us. He didn't really get along with the current cat we have but we figured we'd give it a shot. While it seemed to work at first it eventually escalated to full-on war with the two cats. We tried everything we could think of but no avail in the end. The cat we brought in sometimes sprayed his territory in the apartment (unfortunate but we kinda expected it), but a week ago or so the other cat started spraying out his territory as well (which he has *never* done inside before). They also began fighting more and more. So we decided today after they both were at each other like never before (not play-fights, real awful fights) that we'd put him down.

So sad, but at least he got to have a pretty good final year of his life with lots of food and love. I can't believe how attached I've gotten to him during this short time. Been crying like a baby all day.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Had to put down one of our cats today. I'm completely devastated.

:( Hugz

I know how that goes, where you try everything but...always hard.

Talked with a dog breeder, if all goes to plan I'll get a brown or black female Doberman puppy end of next month. Female because after an extensive conversation I found out I like the character of females of that specific breed a little more.

Can't wait.

• Like 4

Going to see American Sniper in a few.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Talked with a dog breeder, if all goes to plan I'll get a brown or black female Doberman puppy end of next month. Female because after an extensive conversation I found out I like the character of females of that specific breed a little more.

Can't wait.

Any thoughts on the name?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Can't wait.

Any thoughts on the name?

Yes, when I first tried to think of a name ''Jackie'' immediately popped into my head. I like it a lot. 

• Like 4