What you did today

Tale

Snowy and slipper as **** on the roads. Storm warning coming in for the weekend.

The stock I had invested in, I was losing like 30% of my invested money. Out of rage (and furiously research), I put even more money into it. I am now only -7% and now forecasts are saying that things are looking good and I can end up with 25% profit if I am lucky. I'll find out sometime next week.

I don't recommend that anyone ever do this.

From the sounds of things, that is a good recommendation, I'd be writhing on the floor from stress...

Spoke to my father today, the ****er still has'nt changed his summer tyres to winter ones and he's driving around in snow and on ice. He says "manages fine, because I know how to drive properly" but I'm at the point of actually calling the cops. I don't give a rats ass if he smashes into a tree and offs himself, but he's risking others.

I'd ask if I could borrow his car and then change them without his knowledge. I'd wouldn't get in the car with someone that hasn't changed, to be honest. The other day, me and my brother slid on the road with the car. It wasn't anything dangerous, mind you. We slid in a curve and it wasn't bad, but had he driven the car at high speed, we would have been in trouble, especially with summer wheels. It looked funny when he took his hands off the wheel for a second or two because nothing he did helped. No winter wheels =  :ban:

• Like 1

I don't know anyone that changes their tires for winter. Is that a law or something in Sweden? The police can be called to force someone to change tires?

It's a law over here. Even changing for winter means squat sometimes. My brother had the winter ones on when we were sliding. With the summer ones, I can't say where we would have ended up.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

While one can be rationally aware of the effect/importance of depth perception, it's always weird when you lose it for a while. Everything looks the same, yet not. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd ask if I could borrow his car and then change them without his knowledge. I'd wouldn't get in the car with someone that hasn't changed, to be honest. The other day, me and my brother slid on the road with the car. It wasn't anything dangerous, mind you. We slid in a curve and it wasn't bad, but had he driven the car at high speed, we would have been in trouble, especially with summer wheels. It looked funny when he took his hands off the wheel for a second or two because nothing he did helped. No winter wheels =  :ban:

It's hopeless to actually get him to lend his car, he sleeps with the keys next to his bed, and the keys never leave his side when he's awake. He's never lent a car to anyone but his closest mates that he knows has "acceptable" driving skills.

I did actually ride with him, that is how I knew he was'nt using winter tyres, and while he did'nt slide or skid (Impressive in a Volvo 745 with a few hundred hp, no ABS or anti-spin) I was on the edge the whole time.

Does your brother drive on old or unstudded tyres btw? Makes a helluva difference if there's any icelayer at all.

I don't know anyone that changes their tires for winter. Is that a law or something in Sweden? The police can be called to force someone to change tires?

You can get a 1500kr(~180$] fine if you don't have them, and if there is a "winter road surface"; for instance, ice, snow, slush or frost on any nearby roads. It's up to the cops to determine, but when there's 20cm's of snow...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's hopeless to actually get him to lend his car, he sleeps with the keys next to his bed, and the keys never leave his side when he's awake. He's never lent a car to anyone but his closest mates that he knows has "acceptable" driving skills.

I did actually ride with him, that is how I knew he was'nt using winter tyres, and while he did'nt slide or skid (Impressive in a Volvo 745 with a few hundred hp, no ABS or anti-spin) I was on the edge the whole time.

Does your brother drive on old or unstudded tyres btw? Makes a helluva difference if there's any icelayer at all.

I think he drives with studs, but they haven't been good with clearing the roads this year. I have no idea why. And there is a decent layer of ice. There's also lots of powdery snow (don't know how else to describe it) that adds even more annoyance. You think that the roads in the center of town should be cleared of the snow, but they aren't. get stuck in the middle of the road, put foot on gas to get out, slide... rinse and repeat.

I think he drives with studs, but they haven't been good with clearing the roads this year. I have no idea why. And there is a decent layer of ice. There's also lots of powdery snow (don't know how else to describe it) that adds even more annoyance. You think that the roads in the center of town should be cleared of the snow, but they aren't. get stuck in the middle of the road, put foot on gas to get out, slide... rinse and repeat.

Ah, the nastiest sort of surface then. It's a problem around here aswell, but atleast they've sanded most parts.

I have to say, that road salt drives me nuts. I'd rather pay higher road tax to have sanded roads and pay for proper tyres than fix rust on cars. =/

Do you live far enough up north that you don't have that atleast, then I really envy you...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Salt is one reason I don't want to live in a snow state ... or right by the ocean. Although in the latter case, I might deal with it for a private beach on my property....

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah, the nastiest sort of surface then. It's a problem around here aswell, but atleast they've sanded most parts.

I have to say, that road salt drives me nuts. I'd rather pay higher road tax to have sanded roads and pay for proper tyres than fix rust on cars. =/

Do you live far enough up north that you don't have that atleast, then I really envy you...

I live in Västergötland. We do have that crap, unfortunately.

They salt like crazy here. Some days my grey car looks white and I cant see out of any of the side windows (windshield is fine with the sprayer). One of the things I have to clean most often is the headlights as they get encrusted with a dried salt layer that dramatically reduced the light output.

As I recall most states don't legislate it (other than saying when they can be used). A couple like Colorado require commercial vehicles to carry chains in their car during certain periods or are like New York who require chains/snow tires if a snow emergency is declared.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They salt like crazy here. Some days my grey car looks white and I cant see out of any of the side windows (windshield is fine with the sprayer). One of the things I have to clean most often is the headlights as they get encrusted with a dried salt layer that dramatically reduced the light output.

Huh! They salt in the US? I've always been told they did'nt do that since it ruins peoples cars.

I live in Västergötland. We do have that crap, unfortunately.

Same as me then, I've seen my mothers brand new Nissan deteriorate at an alarming rate...

Its law here in Austria too. Driving with normal tires in winter is illegal and certain suicide. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Depends on the state. Illinois and New York salts, Washington State and Oregon uses sand or those road mixtures, IIRC.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ontario salts a lot, city dumps a lot on park sidewalks too which turns icky when the snow is gone - this makes dog walking annoying as that salt can irritate their paws (and my princely dachshunds fight wearing boots).

Does make your car nice and nasty to the touch too, unless you rinse it off after every drive.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Depends on the state. Illinois and New York salts, Washington State and Oregon uses sand or those road mixtures, IIRC.

Heh, so much for the "buy a car from the US instead, they are'nt allowed to salt there". I'm going to save that in my ammo folder for my debates with the carnuts. :)

As I recall most states don't legislate it (other than saying when they can be used). A couple like Colorado require commercial vehicles to carry chains in their car during certain periods or are like New York who require chains/snow tires if a snow emergency is declared.

Knock me over with a feather, I thought they discontinued the use of chains years ago because they chewed up the asphalt. 

Huh! They salt in the US? I've always been told they did'nt do that since it ruins peoples cars.

That's what I always heard too but Im sporting a 2004 Hyundai that doesn't have any rust. Granted its garage kept when not in use but I haven't washed it in ~10 years (besides the rain) and, knock on wood, so far so good.

That's what I always heard too but Im sporting a 2004 Hyundai that doesn't have any rust. Granted its garage kept when not in use but I haven't washed it in ~10 years (besides the rain) and, knock on wood, so far so good.

Well, keeping it in a garage helps alot. Hope you don't have to deal with any rust, it's a pain in the arse to repair and expensive. Then again, you probably don't have to problem with nostalgic commitment I get with my things ;)

Well, I still pine away for my first car ever, a 1979 Trans Am. ;(

The only reasons Im still driving such an old car are that it still runs great and I really love not having a car payment. My wifes car will be paid off next month and Ill probably look into a new ride at that time. She is already angling to replace her car, and we only carry one car payment at a time, so if I don't strike soon she will leapfrog me and Ill be stuck with my hoopty for five more years. :lol: 

• Like 3

Spoke to my father today, the ****er 

I can appreciate this thought, thank you for not making me feel like the only one. *smiley face, or, whatnot*

Can confirm, snow plows salting the roads is near to the same in damaging vehicles as ocean air. The drive chain on my motorcycle looks orange and brown down here on the coast if I don't maintain it constantly--same as the undercarriage of my old Tacoma driven mostly in the Rocky Mountains. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

It's been raining all day. Saw what looked like a small legless salamander (or some kind of amphibian) dash into the garage under the door. By the time I thought to myself "Temo-capture it so I can take pictures of it!" it wiggled back outside again. It was so cool, looked like a long brown earthworm, moved with multiple body S ripples like a little snake. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a baby snake. I hope it wasn't a snake.

Now I want to go digging among the wet leaves ...

Was at the shooting range, it was a f-ing horror trip. 

I was late so I barely ate a breakfast. At the range I found out I that I forgot my rifles magazine at the cleaning table so I had to fumble each round into the chamber manually, with super cold fingers. It was cold, minus 10 Celsius, but what made it feel MUCH colder was sitting still on a cold stool for three hours with wind blowing. My butt felt like a block of solid ice and my fingers and toes were alternating between feeling completely numb and burning like fire. Then my nose started running. I was also shivering which affected my accuracy a bit and I was super hungry. It was like a mini-Stalingrad today.  

But if you think that I was the only one mad enough to go shooting under these weather conditions you're dead wrong, all my friends were there too freezing their nuts off. Someone even brought a small thermo barrel full of hot tea.  A bonfire would have been better though. 

BUT - a bad day at the range is still a fun day. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Had a good day yesterday, am expecting to spend today recovering.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lady GD & I were supposed to go to Michigan yesterday. The weather held us up and we missed out flight. She was mildly disappointed. I was secretly overjoyed. Today she went shopping and I cut firewood then walked down to the river and just watched it roll by for a little while with the dogs. Next I'll feed the rabbits and start thinking about dinner. Thinking of bbq chicken on the grill.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell