What you did today

Tale

I seem to have come down with a bad flu. Urgh. Thus, today, I mostly slept. And slept. Occasionally woke up to hydrate.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I did a really crazy gamble. I put all my money in one stock. I'll either lose it all or make lots of money.  :shrugz:

Or neither.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Getting a giggle out of reading reviews of my company on Glassdoor. Should never read stuff like "Worst mistake of my life" in a review of your company :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I did a really crazy gamble. I put all my money in one stock. I'll either lose it all or make lots of money.  :shrugz:

Or neither.

I was going to say, it really depends on the stock.  Is it typically stable?

Exactly. If I put all my money in Apple odds are after a year I'll be real close to what I had to begin with.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Noticed a possible strange side effect of the meningitis.. people's voices seem kinda off pitch, as if slightly lighter than normal and some of the bass has come off. Noticed it while playing Mass Effect, as Shepard sounded a lot more nasal than normal and then started noticing that voices in general did.

Interesting.. But then some kind of hearing loss is one of the most common after effects.

Fortune favors the bald.

Noticed a possible strange side effect of the meningitis.. people's voices seem kinda off pitch, as if slightly lighter than normal and some of the bass has come off. Noticed it while playing Mass Effect, as Shepard sounded a lot more nasal than normal and then started noticing that voices in general did.

Interesting.. But then some kind of hearing loss is one of the most common after effects.

Is it a permanent impact the slightly impaired hearing loss? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Or neither.

Or neither.

I was going to say, it really depends on the stock.  Is it typically stable?

It's been going down the crapper lately, but after doing some research and reading some new reports, I think it will do well. It's a steel company, so it could go either way. I posted earlier in the year that I made some money on stocks and that was another steel company, but I didn't have as much invested in that. I've put almost everything I've got in this one.

Forgot to say what I've done today. It's very snowy outside, so I've been inside almost all day. Went to eat pizza with my brother. Been rading a little bit. Playing on my PSP and now playing Wasteland 2/browsing the net.

Edited by Labadal

I'm at Heathrow waiting for the 9 pm flight back to South Africa

I had an amazing time in London as usual, of course the cold weather created a marginal damper when walking around...compared to my summer trip last year. But thats the UK, you can't always have good weather. But I did buy some nice chocolates at the airport, like a HUGE box of Daims which are my favorite chocolates of all time  :dancing:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hm, I've been using Ikea products for as long as I can remember and I've never really had problems with it, despite everyone always complaining. However, I think I just had my first experience with true Ikea incompetence.

I moved about two months ago (moving in with my girlfriend) and somehow during that move I lost the metal slat things that allow you to put drawers into a wardrobe that I got from Ikea. So I went there with my instructions booklet, showed them exactly what I needed and what the serial number for the parts was, and they ordered two sets that they would send to my adress. I literally saw them fill in the right information and saw that they ordered the correct thing.

The day after ordering, I got a message that the package was delayed. This week I finally got a message that it was sent. Then I got a message that it arrived, but it hadn't arrived. Thankfully my name is on the mailslot so the person two apartments below me, who received the package, realized that it had the wrong number on it and gave it to me. So I finally had my package...

I opened it up just now. It contains a single sky lantern.

:wacko:

• Like 1

@Rosbjerg - that is indeed interesting, and also not wholly unsurprising. But it's possible it's an effect that may lessen/go away over time. Hopefully that's the case.

@TrueNeutral - that made me lol. Love it when that happens! ;)

My current mood is "oh god I can't stay in bed another minute longer, I'll get bedsores or something." But flip side, flu makes the head feel like it weighs 100 pounds so it's hard to sit up for long without wanting to fall asleep. So I'm going to sit in a high-back chair I dragged in here and clean out hard drives. Let's see how that goes.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Went to mail the birthday card for sister, right at sunset. Super high, massive cloud-cover made for a brilliant orange spectacle. Some really good reds, intense pinks, diffuse yellows and golds. No visible disc, the gray cover stretched like a banner from overhead to the horizon, obscuring the entire descent. No blaze tonight, just reflected fire. Sister will be 32.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Hm, well the doctors are still hemming and hawing a bit, waiting on test results, but they now think that one of the shadows on my mothers lungs are likely to be a tumour, so...potentially cancer. On the upside of things, they're now saying that since the infectious influenza, most of the fluid in her lungs, and such is gone, that she's likely to be treatable as an outpatient. So after about two months in hospital they might release her around Friday...

Also, after over 10 years spent as her primary carer and receiving the associated carers allowance and income support, I've been summoned to a "Local Compliance Interview" just to ensure that I am who I say I am, and have been told to bring my passport, drivers license, and bank statements to prove that I'm not independently wealthy and have a job that gives me mucho money. So that looks like it could be interesting.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sent out two resumes... one to a railroad transportation company, and the other to the local avis franchise. Hoping the Avis one goes through (they just fired their local manager and hadn't posted the job yet, learned of it through their counter crew) because the side swag is really nice (free car, phone and gas while I work there).

I'd be managing either of these puppies :D

• Like 5

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Super, super super cute girl at McDonald's, of all places this morning, working there. Stopped in for a McGriddles after picking up supplies from DE. She just had her hair cut yesterday, probably, a deep red dye with bright eyes and a smile that made my knees weak. She walked up to the till and clicked something, I thought she was going to take my order, but she was just clocking out, going home at 9:49am. I managed to say hi, she said hi, and then I fainted. Thirty seconds later she was leaving and I turned my head for another glimpse, turning her head, too, through the exit. I started breathing again a few minutes later. The bacon/egg/cheese sandwich was pretty good.  

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Fever broke, going from 104 to 101 overnight. One of the few times I don't mind sweating.

I've determined that my life needs a bit of a shake-up, so after I shake the flu fully, I'm going back to ballroom dance. I think my knees can handle most of it, except maybe a violent polka or certain latin dances. There's a place near here I've had my eye on for a long time now. Just for fun and the meeting new people, nothing serious. Let's see how much I remember.

• Like 1

Sounds fun LC, good luck with recovery as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Worked over the weekend, which was lame on the face of it, but we drank beer all three days, so it was fun and unbearable at the same time. The best part was the location, University City just west of MCAS Miramar, where Marine officers frequently engage in low-level take-offs in their F/A-18 Hornets banking toward the ocean with both engines so loud it's like a growl that fills the sky and soothes your empty soul. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

The last few times I've caught the local news broadcasts, I find myself watching all the silly fluff stories and tech-trend reports on the latest "apps" or latest YouTube viral video + the constant "more on/follow us on Twitter/Facebook!" and try to remember back when news broadcasts seemed like actual .... news. I don't know how many people remember the flavor of the show "Entertainment Tonight" back in the late 80's, but that's what often comes to my mind.

...*looks it up* ... I guess Ent. Tonight still exists, lol.

My wife's family is having a reunion next weekend. In Michigan. WTF? Don't they have enough sense to go somewhere warm? Actually I thought she said THIS weekend at first. That would be trouble because there is something happening Sunday that is kind of a big deal to me.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Fever broke, going from 104 to 101 overnight. One of the few times I don't mind sweating.

I've determined that my life needs a bit of a shake-up, so after I shake the flu fully, I'm going back to ballroom dance. I think my knees can handle most of it, except maybe a violent polka or certain latin dances. There's a place near here I've had my eye on for a long time now. Just for fun and the meeting new people, nothing serious. Let's see how much I remember.

A change in your current lifestyle sounds like an excellent idea, its always good to shake things up in a life. We tend to become complacent in a routine, so keep us updated around the dance lessons  :thumbsup:

John Milton