What you did today

Tale

doesn't really matter. we did mention about "treating critters" to clarify the intentional ambiguity, but the truth is that scenario were actual involving lawyers.   "let's say they were vets," were thrown in 'cause who sympathizes with a, 'lawyers is a bunch o' jack-offs' story? we thought our "let's say they were vets" were making obvious that they weren't vets or veterinarians, but sometimes Gromnir is too wily for own good. apologies for any confusion that were not intended.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Good I was going to label you as unpatriotic.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now THAT is crappy. The truth is it is a cold-blooded world. Expect nothing but the worst and you'll never be disappointed. Sometimes you'll even be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

At any rate, this is why belief in general, and mormonism in particular pricks my cornea like a stabby pokey thing with poison all over it. So my mom sends down a box of chocolate mints, wrapped in Christmas wrapping, right ... so I sent her a message, yay, chocolate in the mail, how nice. She replies, ha, late present from the G-mother. Okay, weird, but not out of line. Then she says, oh, by the way, speaking of grandma, her 92-year old self has cancer, like, in all of her ... BUT we're not going to tell her what she has because her mom died of a tumor a hundred years ago and she's terrified of it. Okay. Literally ... I replied ... geez, okay. Then my mom was all, grandma's wanted to go home to her family for years, now she has her golden ticket. By which she meant when we die, humans go to some place filled with light and old relatives and white men in beards and pearl-inlaid gates. The worst thing is, both my mom and g-mom have been alone since their divorces, decades ago, because they feel like they made a promise to the jesus that their marriage would literally last for eternity beyond this mortal life, so if they act like a human being and crave human contact, it would be breaking that promise. The moral of this story, is, life is short, people, don't waste it believing there's an afterlife that will make all of this mortal pain and loneliness go away.  

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

I hope marriages don't last past this lifetime because I've been married twice. That would make for an.... awkward time in heaven!  :lol:

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

At any rate, this is why belief in general, and mormonism in particular pricks my cornea like a stabby pokey thing with poison all over it. So my mom sends down a box of chocolate mints, wrapped in Christmas wrapping, right ... so I sent her a message, yay, chocolate in the mail, how nice. She replies, ha, late present from the G-mother. Okay, weird, but not out of line. Then she says, oh, by the way, speaking of grandma, her 92-year old self has cancer, like, in all of her ... BUT we're not going to tell her what she has because her mom died of a tumor a hundred years ago and she's terrified of it. Okay. Literally ... I replied ... geez, okay. Then my mom was all, grandma's wanted to go home to her family for years, now she has her golden ticket. By which she meant when we die, humans go to some place filled with light and old relatives and white men in beards and pearl-inlaid gates. The worst thing is, both my mom and g-mom have been alone since their divorces, decades ago, because they feel like they made a promise to the jesus that their marriage would literally last for eternity beyond this mortal life, so if they act like a human being and crave human contact, it would be breaking that promise. The moral of this story, is, life is short, people, don't waste it believing there's an afterlife that will make all of this mortal pain and loneliness go away.  

I believe in an afterlife. I'll either go to heaven or hell. That doesn't mean I won't do what I think is fun. I love video games, violent movies, cussing in all forms: music, movies or whatever. I live my life the way I want to and then, whatever happens... happens. 

we weren't aware that doctors could choose to remove the patient from the decision making process if the patient were capable o' understanding the diagnosis and treatment/non-treatment options. am admitting we is a bit conflicted though. we were raised by grandparents til we hit our teens, and were never close with our mother, but we were present when mom got the news that she had cancer (4th time) and that there were no meaningful treatment options.  fear.  if we had been able to give mom one or two months o' ignorance we mighta' chosen to do so even though intellectually we thinks that doing so is wrong. as we said, we weren't close to our mom, but seeing her diminished by fear were not pleasant for anybody in the room at the time, and particularly not for our mother.

as for wacky afterlife beliefs?  we grew up hearing lakota traditions as well as catholic and am honestly not sure which we find more difficult to believe.  not  matter though as Gromnir is largely unconcerned with afterlife. am a simple man and so we concern our self with the world we is now in rather than one that may exist beyond death's door.  we volunteer at local food banks and give to charity not 'cause o' beliefs that we will get rewarded post mortem.  somehow, expectations o' eventual reward feels likes it cheapens our efforts.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we weren't aware that doctors could choose to remove the patient from the decision making process if the patient were capable o' understanding the diagnosis and treatment/non-treatment options. am admitting we is a bit conflicted though. we were raised by grandparents til we hit our teens, and were never close with our mother, but we were present when mom got the news that she had cancer (4th time) and that there were no meaningful treatment options.  fear.  if we had been able to give mom one or two months o' ignorance we mighta' chosen to do so even though intellectually we thinks that doing so is wrong. as we said, we weren't close to our mom, but seeing her diminished by fear were not pleasant for anybody in the room at the time, and particularly not for our mother.

as for wacky afterlife beliefs?  we grew up hearing lakota traditions as well as catholic and am honestly not sure which we find more difficult to believe.  not  matter though as Gromnir is largely unconcerned with afterlife. am a simple man and so we concern our self with the world we is now in rather than one that may exist beyond death's door.  we volunteer at local food banks and give to charity not 'cause o' beliefs that we will get rewarded post mortem.  somehow, expectations o' eventual reward feels likes it cheapens our efforts.

HA! Good Fun!

I agree, you help people because you want to, not because of your faith. Half the people I know believe in nothing, and we get along splendidly. I don't care what people believe in or not as long as they are decent folk.

• Like 2

It's in her brain and spine, I'm guessing she isn't capable of understanding. So sad, but not as sad as suffering in solitary silence because real-life people tell you everything will be ecstasy when you die. That's my beef, not belief, deceit. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

quick aside:

we do not look down 'pon or begrudeg the faith o' anybody who believes in an afterlife. the world can be a damnably unforgiving and miserable place.  is many who manage to find joy in this world precisely 'cause they believe their true reward will come in the next life.  is many who simple endure this world  and the only thing that gives 'em strength to do so is their faith.  the fact that we do not share similar beliefs does not mean we scoff at those that do.

we believe in love.  we believe in honor.  we believe in a great many pleasant fantasies that has no objective reality beyond our faith in them.  in point o' fact, we has said more than once that the things in life most worth living for, worth dying for, is all requiring faith. so no, we do not begrudge those who believe in an afterlife. we ain't that kinda hypocrite.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

quick aside:

we do not look down 'pon or begrudeg the faith o' anybody who believes in an afterlife. the world can be a damnably unforgiving and miserable place.  is many who manage to find joy in this world precisely 'cause they believe their true reward will come in the next life.  is many who simple endure this world  and the only thing that gives 'em strength to do so is their faith.  the fact that we do not share similar beliefs does not mean we scoff at those that do.

we believe in love.  we believe in honor.  we believe in a great many pleasant fantasies that has no objective reality beyond our faith in them.  in point o' fact, we has said more than once that the things in life most worth living for, worth dying for, is all requiring faith. so no, we do not begrudge those who believe in an afterlife. we ain't that kinda hypocrite.

HA! Good Fun!

I definitely don't begrudge people who have faith, I have an issue when that faith leads to a person suffering in this world because of the belief in that faith. Like Manifested's  mom and g-mom. Why can't she get married again and have company? Why can't his gran know the truth about her condition? I battle to see how these are examples when faith is good in the real world because to me this seems be about suffering and misery? 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

quick aside:

HA! Good Fun!

I definitely don't begrudge people who have faith, I have an issue when that faith leads to a person suffering in this world because of the belief in that faith. Like Manifested's  mom and g-mom. Why can't she get married again and have company? Why can't his gran know the truth about her condition? I battle to see how these are examples when faith is good in the real world because to me this seems be about suffering and misery? 

when faith is good? we just don't have the kinda arrogance to make that judgement.  where another person's beliefs infringe 'pon our capacity to enjoy our beliefs and our life, then we is gonna step in to stop an injustice. mess with Gromnir's peaceful, easy feeling is the very definition o' injustice.  your faith shouldn't trump our (or anybody else's, we s'pose) faith... or our lack o' faith.  'course, our notion, and your notion, o' what is fair and right is ultimate based on faith, yes?

we need not remain silent when we see practices, faith-based or otherwise, that rob person's o' their human dignity, but how far can we go beyond voicing our concerns and arguing for enlightenment? we can't claim perfect knowledge regarding what constitutes good faith, and we sure as hell don't trust anybody else to make such choices.  

if we had a daughter, we would never wish for her to become muslim.  we would plead with our daughter not to choose islam. we would likely eventual beg her not to choose islam.  we don't believe islamic faith is necessarily evil, but we do not like how women is treated in that faith.  we think the manner in which a vast majority o' islamic world treats women is unjust.  nevertheless, at what point does we get to choose a good faith for our hypothetical daughter, or any other woman? we just don't have the arrogance to make such choices.  we believe with all earnestness and good faith that we don't have that right. 

also, just as a kinda side issue, the family's decision to keep manifested's grandmother unaware o' her illness don't sound as if it is specific related to a question o' 'faith' as you is using the term. grandmom is ill and the cancer has metastasized in her brain and spine, yes? the family, right or wrong, chooses not to inform manifested's grandmother that she is dying o' cancer, because manifested's grandmother is terrified o' cancer, yes?  am not aware o' a tenant o' the mormon faith that requires that terminally ill cancer patients be kept unawares o' their condition, though we could be wrong.  we still don't comprehend mormon magic underwear, so we could be mistaken.  regardless, having been in a similar situation our self, we know that the choice the family made must not have been easy. if our mother had been +90 and already suffering from the dementia  that so often accompanies late stage cancer, we too might have chosen ignorance.  dunno.

when faith is good?  we got no idea what that means, but we do know that many people would disagree with whatever moral calculus Gromnir might utilize to divine good from evil.  as long as their faith don't interfere with our life, we feels as if we gotta give people the same right o' self-determination that we demand for our self.  

HA! Good Fun!
  • Like 2

Lunch time meetings are fun.  Especially when lunch is provided to every other office on the conference call than yours.  Also when it is essentially someone wanking over the process he created.  Sheesh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watching the news just depresses the hell out of me these days. Is it baseball season yet?

Thomas Sowell

Watching the news just depresses the hell out of me these days. Is it baseball season yet?

you are clearly not a cubs fan.

HA! Good Fun!

Not sure sedatives help with depression...

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

is a joke that Gromnir uses far too frequent around our colleagues and family who drink to excess: "there is nothing like a depressant to chase the blues away." add the traditional beer drinking that accompanies watching o' baseball and we is wondering why baseball fans is not hurling themselves from bridges like lemmings.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

is a joke that Gromnir uses far too frequent around our colleagues and family who drink to excess: "there is nothing like a depressant to chase the blues away." add the traditional beer drinking that accompanies watching o' baseball and we is wondering why baseball fans is not hurling themselves from bridges like lemmings.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

Well, I'm a Rays, Marlins & Redbirds (Cardinals AAA) so I have plenty of reason for optimism this year. The thing I love about baseball is it's on everyday. It can be a great distraction. Plus with Walking Dead on hiatus TV is just brutal right now.

Thomas Sowell

Well, I'm a Rays, Marlins & Redbirds (Cardinals AAA) so I have plenty of reason for optimism this year. The thing I love about baseball is it's on everyday. It can be a great distraction. Plus with Walking Dead on hiatus TV is just brutal right now.

am joking about baseball... mostly. previous to the 1994 strike season, we were an extreme enthusiastic baseball fan, particularly a white sox fan.  strike season ruined baseball for us, and we ain't never returned as a genuine fan.  have seen parts o' games in the past few decades, but nothing more. heck, we didn't watch a single game in 2005 and that were the year the white sox won the series. 

is not that we dislike baseball so much as we hate mlb.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, the upshot is I seriously doubt there will ever be another strike. I think both the MLBPA & the owners know the game would not survive it.

Thomas Sowell

Today I consumed certain substances and got yelled at by my ex.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yesterday we did an amazing pub walk through London

So a pub walk is not what you think, you actually spend more time walking and less time drinking. We spent the entire day, 8 hours or so, walking from Chelsea-Hyde Park-St James Park( Buckingham Palace)- Whitehall-St Pauls Cathedral and from there onto Spitalfields Market. Where we started drinking at some historic pubs.

One pub was 500 years old !!! Check this out

http://www.yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/

Really quaint, we ended up at the Viaduct Tavern which specialises in Gin, I had one of the best Gin mixes I have ever had in my life. I never knew Gin could be so versatile

http://viaducttavern.co.uk/

And then we headed back feeling warm and cozy  ...which was probably the best way to feel considering how the temperature dropped in the late evening   :-  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela