Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Well, here's hoping she does a better job than in Lucy. Though in that case I suppose given crap to work with...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Scarlett Johansson has been signed for a Ghost in the Shell film by Dreamworks.

CRAP! I was really hoping they'd go with Margot Robbie  :getlost:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I just don't see Ghost in the Shell translating into a western film. Not when the main character dresses in what amounts to a bathing suit and a jacket.

On the upside we might see Scarlett Johansen running around in a bathing suit and jacket. Or even full frontal, y'know, for stealth.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still don't see the appeal of Ghost in the Shell (based on the translation of the original manga and a sub of the first movie from 1995). But I also agree with Tale, I don't see the story translating well to a live action western film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just don't see Ghost in the Shell translating into a western film. Not when the main character dresses in what amounts to a bathing suit and a jacket.

I see a lot of people say that, giving different reasons why it wouldn't work. And I can't help but disagree. 

Most of the comments revolve around the fact that this new movie will be competing against the 1995 anime (with some bringing up the TV series, which I can't stand). I think people should forget about Oshii's movies. They're completely different in tone and style when compared with the original manga.

Depending on who's doing the script and directing, the new movie could be very good. My only wish is they'd actually cast Asians for primary roles (Kusanagi, Togusa, Aramaki etc.)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I was never impressed by the original movie beyond the setting. Standalone Complex gets real interesting though.

I see a lot of people say that, giving different reasons why it wouldn't work. And I can't help but disagree.

I think it can work in the broad strokes, but not the details.

Cyberpunk can work, but I'm not sure if we're ready for the prosthetic work covering up large portions of the male leads face and a female lead that dresses like a sex worker.

We're talking about a AAA movie here. Which means they're probably going to want to make things a bit more safe than that.

I still don't see the appeal of Ghost in the Shell

For me that's easy: it's the best spy thriller I've ever laid my eyes on. Granted, I don't read much sci-fi, so I don't have much to compare it to. Still, it's my favorite cyberpunk work by any writer. 

Walsingham said:

Cyberpunk can work, but I'm not sure if we're ready for the prosthetic work covering up the actors and to take seriously a movie where the female lead dresses like a sex worker.

We're talking about a AAA movie here. Which means they're probably going to want to make things a bit more safer than that.

She doesn't in the manga, though. I guess you're thinking of the SAC version of Motoko. 

Like I said, the 1995 movie gets a lot of stuff "wrong" (I'm sure that was Oshii's intention), in terms of the original's themes and tone. That movie recreates the GITS universe almost perfectly, but it's trying to tell a complex story inside one+ hour. The original wasn't really about the stories it told, but about the world these stories took place in. 

Walsingham said:

Fair enough about the 1995 look, I can't even remember what it looked like until I looked it up. But I don't see Batou being done justice, either.

I'm similarly skeptical of them doing the world justice.

It's possible, I'll grant. But I think that'd require more of a budget than anyone's willing to commit to starting up a sci-fi movie license. I'm thinking it would be on the scale of Guardians of the Galaxy, and the only reason that got lit is because of Avengers and Iron Man before it.

You're probably right about that  >_<

Walsingham said:

On the upside we might see Scarlett Johansen running around in a bathing suit and jacket. Or even full frontal, y'know, for stealth.

She doesn't have the breast for it, also I'm predicting outrage due to the fact that she isn't Asian.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I predict that it will be the worst of it all. An "ok" movie that no one will remember.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

****, i forgot why i was browsing this thread at the first place

Gone Baby Gone.

Very good, especially with a

non-hollywood ending.

Ben Affleck should continue to direct movies. 

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"This Is Where I Leave You."

...because, Jason Bateman. Also, hubby wanted a lighter fare film. Family drama with sporadic comedy bits type movie. Bateman does great in his usual everyman role and Jane Fonda was pretty funny. Not the best film of its type I've seen and fairly predictable, but the actors make it charming enough.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

‘Gambit’ Confirmed As Third ‘X-Men’ Movie of 2016

Gambit-Channing-Tatum-Art-metalblackfae.

Here’s the full schedule of upcoming X-Men films officially dated thus far:

Deadpool - February 12, 2016
X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27, 2016
Gambit - October 7, 2016
Wolverine 3 - March 3, 2017
Untitled X-Men Movie - July 13, 2018

PS I thought Jan and Feb movie releases were a bad thing
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I love Gambit, but I wonder who they can get to play him well?  Josh Lucas?

MV5BMTQ2NzkzOTAzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE3

The guy from LOST could pull it off too, and he's not busy.

edit:  Huh, just found out it is Channing Tatum.  I love the guy, but can he pull off cajun?

Edited by Hurlshot

edit:  Huh, just found out it is Channing Tatum.  I love the guy, but can he pull off cajun?

hmmm, I thought Alabama was closer to Louisiana, but still, maybe they're just close enough for that

Walsingham said:

Poker Night.

A dark little character piece. A young policeman makes detective, and finds out there's a tradition where the fresh detective get invited to a poker night where the other players are the legendary cops. When they win a hand, they tell a story of their past, all in the hopes of passing on wisdom and experience to the new guy.

However, when he leaves at the end of the night, he gets kidnapped by a serial killer and has to use the stories he heard to help match wits with his captor while also rescuing the young girl held along with him.

It's told in a mix of flashbacks, since it pretty much starts with him leaving the party, and has its own sting in the tail for an ending.

Has a nice cast of Ron Perlman, Giancarlo Esposito, Titus Welliver and Ron Eldard as some of the senior cops at the poker night.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

She doesn't have the breast for it, also I'm predicting outrage due to the fact that she isn't Asian.

Maybe from the whackoloons that try and turn everything into a race issue, but it won't be the consensus. Japanese love Caucasians for the most part, and a large chunk of anime characters out there are drawn decidedly not Asian looking, including most if not all of the characters in Ghost in the Shell. Casting a live action Anime movie with predominately Caucasians would make sense.

Supposedly he campaigned at fox to get the movié off the ground and was the major reason its even being done. Supposedly its his favorite comic character, so hopefully that means he'll put in the extra effort to get it right.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Casting a live action Anime movie with predominately Caucasians would make sense.

it would make more sense to make the story take place somewhere other than in Newport City/Japan

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I tried to watch The Interview, largely because of the "controversy" around it that I read about. I knew it likely wouldn't be my kind of film, tho, and after about 30 minutes, I turned it off. Don't find it offensive, btw...just not my kind of humor generally speaking these days (boring). I was just curious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts