Scottish Independence?

BruceVC

Alba gu Bráth, fellas! This is it! 

Ooooh, nevermind. Back to laughing at SJW-journos then.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They are as divided as an independent Scotland and Great Britain would be though. So divided we fall isn't much relevance here. Unless Scotland is going to not be an ally to the UK and EU and US for some reason.

Well that is the concern actually, there are many people in Scotland who question the military involvement of the UK in various areas. So it would have been highly unlikely an independent Scotland would have been involved in any UK military missions. And obviously this would have weakened the overall UK military mission going forward
Under independence, their armed forces would have been 300 thousand men, two frigates and six helicopters; it's not like anyone would have noticed whether they took part or didn't.

As it stands, they're not going to be able to dictate whether we go to war or not.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

so, scotland still gets all those wonderful parting gifts cameron promised just 'cause they played the Secession Game, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

I don't see anything wrong with nations within the UK being autonomous at all. It's more likely to hold the UK together in the long run. It's a highly fractious arrangement and, as seen, unpopular with as nearly as many people as for whom it's popular.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Scott's don't want independence seriously. Same story in Catalonia. They can blah-blah and have wet fantasies about this, but don't want sacrifice own lives for it In difference with Irish people, Croatians, East Ukrainians or Chechens. Freedom and independence can be conquered only by forse of weapon in armed struggle, all other "methods" is profanation.  Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.

So the next big question is the West Lothian question and what that throws up. For those that aren't aware, due to the lack of a separate, English parliament, Scottish MPs can vote on Scottish-only matters (ie. matters brought to the Scottish parliament) and English MPs can't. Conversely, because there's no dedicated English parliament, Scottish MPs can vote on English-only matters.

The obvious answer is to have an English parliament. However, by removing that problem, you could easily create a situation whereby a Labour government, which happens to have a majority of MPs elected to seats in Scotland, being unable to bring a majority to bear in Westminster. So you have a majority Government without a majority.

Federal Britain, please.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

So the next big question is the West Lothian question and what that throws up. For those that aren't aware, due to the lack of a separate, English parliament, Scottish MPs can vote on Scottish-only matters (ie. matters brought to the Scottish parliament) and English MPs can't. Conversely, because there's no dedicated English parliament, Scottish MPs can vote on English-only matters.

The obvious answer is to have an English parliament. However, by removing that problem, you could easily create a situation whereby a Labour government, which happens to have a majority of MPs elected to seats in Scotland, being unable to bring a majority to bear in Westminster. So you have a majority Government without a majority.

Federal Britain, please.

Tough luck, old boy. You can't threaten to go and declare independence, so Cameron doesn't care.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

In honour of the greatest Scotsman of all time

How anyone could have a problem with gay people after listening to queen is beyond me. 

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So, are the English planning to secede from the Union next? :lol:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It does kind of amuse me that the Chinese media have been running coverage of this referendum in the line of "Instability and unrest caused by too much democracy. Look at the waning of a once great nation due to not strict enough social order..."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

<innocently whistles>

You guys should insist on devolution. May be you'll wind up with the kind of Federalism that's supposedly guaranteed by our Constitution. In related news, a significant percentage of Americans would like to secede: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0HE19U20140919?irpc=932

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

presumptive Englishman

Possibly, though I bet I've got more justification to hang a saltire than you do, Susan.

It's Nancy, actually, and I watch Braveheart once a year, drink Scotch like an unemployed miner during every The Open Championship--easily plenty enough times to know all there is to know, about wherever Scotland is. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

<innocently whistles>

You guys should insist on devolution. May be you'll wind up with the kind of Federalism that's supposedly guaranteed by our Constitution. In related news, a significant percentage of Americans would like to secede: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0HE19U20140919?irpc=932

The idea of secession has really skyrocketed recently. It'll never happen, but it is weird.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

http://youtu.be/kUR-HgAtwtg

independence ha-ha-ha, serfs must known their place

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this.

It was only made worse by all the youtube comments agreeing this is definitive and irrefutable proof of it being rigged.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

http://youtu.be/kUR-HgAtwtg

independence ha-ha-ha, serfs must known their place

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this.

It was only made worse by all the youtube comments agreeing this is definitive and irrefutable proof of it being rigged.

Laughing is better.

presumptive Englishman

Possibly, though I bet I've got more justification to hang a saltire than you do, Susan.

It's Nancy, actually, and I watch Braveheart once a year, drink Scotch like an unemployed miner during every The Open Championship--easily plenty enough times to know all there is to know, about wherever Scotland is.

Actually, I take it back, chuck a cardiac event at 35 in there and you could be a native.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.