Drama in the indy gaming biz ?

NWN_babaYaga

I tried to stay away but the allure was too strong when it became clear this was an attack from some on the campaign for gender equality :)

It is ? Thought it was just a campaign against one woman.

I wish it was that simple. If it was just about Zoe I wouldn't comment at all. For some this has been a way to undermine feminist ideals and the gender equality movement. There are many comments similar to " this just  highlights what hypocrites Feminists are " or " this is why I don't support these types of equality movements"

I have to be honest I am surprised you cannot see this in some of the comments and what they are really saying?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I wish it was that simple. If it was just about Zoe I wouldn't comment at all. For some this has been a way to undermine feminist ideals and the gender equality movement. There are many comments similar to " this just  highlights what hypocrites Feminists are " or " this is why I don't support these types of equality movements"

I have to be honest I am surprised you cannot see this in some of the comments and what they are really saying?

Hm, the people making the "gender equality movement" look bad in this are the ones that usually vocally support it it seems at least on Twitter. Not seeing a lot of stuff bashing feminist ideology versus ones bashing Kotaku, Grayson, Quinn, if it is the former I'm not really buying it and it is a decent mask that serves Quinn.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm gonna have to agree with Malc here. A lot of supposedly feminist gamers have been real morons in this situation. Case in point is the amount of abuse Total Biscuit has gotten making him out to be a "mysognist thug" and such. For reference, here's the single post Total Biscuit made on the subject:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1

The tl;dr version is: "Using DMCA takedowns for censorship is bad, critics who give higher grades for any type of favour abuse their readers trust, and I'm not touching the rest of this discussion with a ten foot pole."

He literally said nothing at all specifically pertaining to Zoe Quinn being female at all, it was never a factor in his post and his criticisms were fair and just as easily apply to men as they do to women - essentially the definition of equal rights. Somehow, he's had a huge storm of criticism labeling him as a mysoginist, accusing him or perpetuating rape culture, etc. not because he was sexist, but because he spoke of something a woman did negatively. I am all for equal rights, and that's not it. They are doing an almost coordinated job of removing the credibility of everybody who has legitimate concerns about gender inequality.

Can someone in short explain me what is going on? I am quite lost

• A guy broke up with his girlfriend and posted the "why" to a website with screencaps of texts and tweets.
  • Girlfriend is a game developer who (according to the posted screenies) admitted to a relationship with a game journalist who wrote positively about her game while still in a relationship with guy.
  • Internet explodes.

At least that's what I've gotten out of it.

Like I said before, if an insider said EA was paying kotaku to get good reviews and positives articles, the internet would explode (and rightfuly so)

But since it's a woman that had sex with a journalist (instead of bribing him with money) apparently a lot of people are dismissing the issue right away, people can't even discuss this in many websites without getting their comments deleted and their accounts shadowbanned. Even here I've seen many users suggesting the thread be deleted wich is embarrasing.

• A guy broke up with his girlfriend and posted the "why" to a website with screencaps of texts and tweets.
  • Girlfriend is a game developer who (according to the posted screenies) admitted to a relationship with a game journalist who wrote positively about her game while still in a relationship with guy.
  • Internet explodes.

Like I said before, if an insider said EA was paying kotaku to get good reviews and positives articles, the internet would explode (and rightfuly so)

But since it's a woman that had sex with a journalist (instead of bribing him with money) apparently a lot of people are dismissing the issue right away, people can't even discuss this in many websites without getting their comments deleted and their accounts shadowbanned. Even here I've seen many users suggesting the thread be deleted wich is embarrasing.

Internet didn't explode when GameSpot fired one of their journalist because he gave too low score for Kane&Lynch, because Eidos (games publisher)  demanded it, by threatening removing their ads from GameSpot's webpage. Eidos was then one of GameSpot's biggest advertisers.

And that isn't singular case where big game sites have exposed to get payments for good reviews by big publishers.

Now days they only do it more subtlety by getting journalist to play their demo versions in controlled events and then hype their games. 

Yeah, and how about Driv3rgate? Or Homefront devs getting caught paying for good reviews? Or that publishers are often pulling ads from websites giving them bad reviews? These scandals are commonplace and nobody cares. Most recently YouTubers have been caught giving favourable or more coverage to games they have received from devs.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Yeah, and how about Driv3rgate? Or Homefront devs getting caught paying for good reviews? Or that publishers are often pulling ads from websites giving them bad reviews? These scandals are commonplace and nobody cares. Most recently YouTubers have been caught giving favourable or more coverage to games they have received from devs.

Because no one reports on them or because no one comes to accuse the reporters of harassment afterwards?

Why are so many here ignoring that any major gaming news site either tried to ignore or actively silence this case? That is the issue here. The part with Zoe committing rape according to her own definition of it by being unfaithful to her boyfriend is only the lulz-part.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

• Internet explodes.

Internet didn't explode when GameSpot fired one of their journalist because he gave too low score for Kane&Lynch, because Eidos (games publisher)  demanded it, by threatening removing their ads from GameSpot's webpage. Eidos was then one of GameSpot's biggest advertisers.

And that isn't singular case where big game sites have exposed to get payments for good reviews by big publishers.

Now days they only do it more subtlety by getting journalist to play their demo versions in controlled events and then hype their games. 

That really sucks I have not heard of that, and I don't know if the internet exploded or not about it, but even if that issue was ignored, it doesn't mean is right to ignore this issue. Add to that the fact that people are getting silenced left and right, you may say that the sites have the right to massively delete comments and silence people, that doesn't make them any less ****, and also false DMCAing a Youtube video to silence someone is not right, no matter where you look at it from.

I'd also like to add that people got really upset when they discovered that videos in Machinima, I think, were secretly promoting the Xbox One, Totalbiscuit made a video about it.

Edited by Chaz

Why are so many here ignoring that any major gaming news site either tried to ignore or actively silence this case? That is the issue here. The part with Zoe committing rape according to her own definition of it by being unfaithful to her boyfriend is only the lulz-part.

Are we sure that is absolutely true, that " any major gaming news site either tried to ignore or actively silence this case" ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• Internet explodes.

Actually I remember the internet exploded over that as well (Kane & Lynch).

The problem (IMO) is that there's two parts to the story and a lot of people are talking more about Zoe Quinn and the personal details of her relationship with her boyfriend (see all of the debate that by "her own standards" she raped her boyfriend - it wasn't legal rape and anything else about their relationship is none of my business) than favoritism / unethical behavior of journalists.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Actively silencing is a problem (I agree with TotalBiscuit that abusing DMCA takedowns and ignoring fair use is a ****ty thing to do) but ignoring it is most definitely not. If a site does not want to report on this thing then it is their perogative not to report on it as it simply does not have any news value regarding to gaming. What someone did or did not do with their private parts belongs in a gossip magazine, not on a gaming website. We are not old housewives with nothing better to do.

Actively silencing is a problem (I agree with TotalBiscuit that abusing DMCA takedowns and ignoring fair use is a ****ty thing to do) but ignoring it is most definitely not. If a site does not want to report on this thing then it is their perogative not to report on it as it simply does not have any news value regarding to gaming. What someone did or did not do with their private parts belongs in a gossip magazine, not on a gaming website. We are not old housewives with nothing better to do.

Many people don't care about the sex, they care about a dev getting publicity, reviews and favors because of a relationship, others care more about the fact that they were silenced and can't discuss it. And the people that make harmless comments about this are also insulted and attacked like TB.

I've heard of people in the game industry and journalism that are afraid of speaking about this, or are not allowed to talk about this or they'll lose their jobs. At least one of them told me about this directly, others I've heard indirectly, MundeMatt, the guy that was false DMCAd said he received many messages from devs saying that, I and had a discussion with somone who worked in Divinity: Original Sin who told me the same.

Edited by Chaz

Are we sure that is absolutely true, that " any major gaming news site either tried to ignore or actively silence this case" ?

Well Reddit had one where threads on it were purged (rumours a Reddit admin was in with Quinn as well). NeoGAF also shut stuff down there, but I've not much detail on it. Were some others as well, generally was a no-no on some sites like RPS where you'd get banned for mentioning it once SJWalker determined it was about Quinn's private life and nothing else.

Well people cared about those as well, the Streisand effect at work here is why this is what it is now

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reddit, N4G, Kotaku, RPS and so on. Just watch the videos for more info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This is the explanation I found on RPGCodex so make of it what you will.

1408881904920.jpg

Going purely off that I can't even pretend to care about this so-called controversy.

1) Nudes online? I like where this is going. Brb, looking them up for "research".

2) Read the word "doxxed" and got confused. Stopped reading. Must do research on point 1.

• Like 1

1) Nudes online? I like where this is going. Brb, looking them up for "research".

I don't think you'll like what your research uncovers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I tried to stay away but the allure was too strong when it became clear this was an attack from some on the campaign for gender equality :)

It is ? Thought it was just a campaign against one woman.

Here is the thing; I imagine that when people are saying feminist they mean "these feminists", meaning the SJW game journos and developers. Because the collective supporting the campaign and doing all the digging and research are not bothered by helping TFYC whose spokesperson has admitted to being a feminist and that being one of the main reasons as to why he began the project. This is a thing where a bunch of communities that otherwise hate/ignore each other coming together in this situation.

In short, there are feminists going against the Quinn cult.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Don't. Really, don't.