Forum edit function too... sensitive?

Marceror

I feel remiss for not posting here sooner.

Many years from now, this thread will finally run its course, and a bronze memorial shall be erected in its place.  

As my family gathers for the winter holidays, it will become a yearly tradition to tell my grandchildren the story how I too once made a post in this most venerable of all discussions.  

And the children shall laugh, and giggle, knowing that decades later, absolutely nothing ever changed to the forum edit function.

• Like 3

Why have no-one told me of this thread? The tenacity, the sheer bravery of fighting forces unseen. The audacious hope braced against the gales of indifference.

The unwavering faith that one day the Forum God shall grant a wish. A single wish.

I am awestruck. Struck with AWE, I tell you.

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

Yes, this is a story about holding out hope, even when they said 'twas folly. 

For, as it is proclaimed, hope springs eternal! Rejoice ye of the forums, for just because the forum gods have forsaken us, our hope shall not be shaken. Like a great and mighty wave does it crash upon the shores of our dreams, wants, and desires, and perhaps one day, one glorious day, just when all hope has faded from thought or recall, the forum gods might spend ten minutes to actually do their job, and reply to the ancient query of the forums.

And lo, one mystery of the universe shall be laid plain for the mighty throng. Take heart, and in gladness may your faith be restored.

The Book of Marceror, Chapter 12, verse 18 - 19

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 3

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

When the forums get shut down, this thread will go down with it :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm pretty sure this website is commercial off-the-shelf software, Obsidian isn't the primary developer. I don't know why this thread is still on-going, it's beyond their scope of development.

This would be a simple configuration change, not a development effort, to change. That's not the problem. The problem is that they basically run this forum as abandon-ware. And the thread is still going because it can.

Who says we don't get a kick out of people's misery!

Just kidding. Even allowing people to edit their posts was a concession. A few may, but most won't have a long enough memory to remember how it was abused in the past for trolling. Resulting a draconian restriction on editing at first. I.e. you couldn't't

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Who says we don't get a kick out of people's misery!

Just kidding. Even allowing people to edit their posts was a concession. A few may, but most won't have a long enough memory to remember how it was abused in the past for trolling. Resulting a draconian restriction on editing at first. I.e. you couldn't't

That's odd, considering that essentially every forum I've ever used allows editing. I wonder what was so wrong with the community and/or the administrators that such a fundamental feature would be withheld or even considered for that. I mean, does this forum exist in some alternate universe, or something, where restrictions that aren't needed anywhere else are something required here?

I wonder if anyone in charge ever steps back and asks such bigger picture questions. I mean, I love Obsidian, but really, this is just another web forum. Nothing truly abnormal or special about it. So I can only conclude that the folks in charge are the ones who are "special". And given that they are obviously above providing even the most benign or basic reply on this topic, this only further supports that conclusion.

I'm not sure that it's going to matter for much longer, but after this long, I suppose I'm committed to my questioning on this. I mean, come on, it's been 4 1/2 years now. Seems like any self respecting forum administrator would have kicked in with some sort of reply by now. Sheesh!

it's been 4 1/2 years now. Seems like any self respecting forum administrator would have kicked in with some sort of reply by now. Sheesh!

I think the fact that it has been 4 1/2 years suggests that self-respect would be best expressed by avoiding this thread.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

it's been 4 1/2 years now. Seems like any self respecting forum administrator would have kicked in with some sort of reply by now. Sheesh!

I think the fact that it has been 4 1/2 years suggests that self-respect would be best expressed by avoiding this thread.

If you're referring to my own self-respect, I never claimed to have any! So, there's that. ;)

• Like 2

Perspectives are a funny thing. Where you have admiration, I have pity. Its like watching a bum pee himself on the train. :lol:

Is this the point where someone is supposed to jump in and say something about avoiding personal attacks? Oh wait! :p

• Like 1

Is voicing pity over a situation a personal attack? My bad.

It was more the being compared to a bum who wets himself part, actually. But I actually thought it was funny, particularly that it was stated by a moderator, which was supposed to have been conveyed by the smiley face with the tongue hanging out. You did see the smiley, right? At any rate, I suppose this is where someone is supposed to come along and tell us to get back on topic. Oh wait, again! :p

[uh oh, an edit?]

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

Back on topic? Ok. I just made another mistake and I can't edit it to add a letter without it showing that it was edited. Damn my rusting English. :facepalm:

Dude, I totally know how that feels!

• Like 1

Ive got an idea! One of you clever posters created a mod that could remove specific posters from their view. What if they made something for you that removes the offending "edited by" from your view? Maybe they will see this and hook you up. :thumbsup:

Assuming I could find time in between my brisk schedule riding trains and pissing myself, maybe I could look into that!

But a mod isn't required to remove posters from their view. You just have to put that poster on your ignore list. I have someone on mine.