Hurlshot's 2014 Summer RV Trip

Hurlshort

I'm taking a big trip this year, covering more miles and staying more days than I ever have before.  I think the kids and the wife are finally ready, and I've upgraded the RV enough that we should be very comfortable.  Now I thought I had taken care of all the RV maintenance in May (oil change and replaced the engine battery), but while I was cleaning the toilet I noticed a minor leak from the hose that directs water in to the bowl.  I took it into the shop, and thy discovered a few cracked parts.  It was cheaper (and faster) to replace the whole unit, so I've got a spiffy new ceramic bowl to pee in.  Since I was at the shop, I also asked them to check the tires.  They are about 7 years old, so they recommended I replace the two front tires before the trip.  That was a pretty big chunk of change to drop, but luckily I had budgeted some money for repairs and work.  The toilet was $280 after labor and the tires were $360.  Yikes!  But now I shouldn't have any worries as I roll through the desert *knock on wood*.

T-Minus 2 days

10461632_10202304432956912_2684952468353

Just a look back at previous years:

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 8

I'm taking a big trip this year, covering more miles and staying more days than I ever have before.  I think the kids and the wife are finally ready, and I've upgraded the RV enough that we should be very comfortable.  Now I thought I had taken care of all the RV maintenance in May (oil change and replaced the engine battery), but while I was cleaning the toilet I noticed a minor leak from the hose that directs water in to the bowl.  I took it into the shop, and thy discovered a few cracked parts.  It was cheaper (and faster) to replace the whole unit, so I've got a spiffy new ceramic bowl to pee in.  Since I was at the shop, I also asked them to check the tires.  They are about 7 years old, so they recommended I replace the two front tires before the trip.  That was a pretty big chunk of change to drop, but luckily I had budgeted some money for repairs and work.  The toilet was $280 after labor and the tires were $360.  Yikes!  But now I shouldn't have any worries as I roll through the desert *knock on wood*.

T-Minus 2 days

10461632_10202304432956912_2684952468353

Just a look back at previous years:

I love your trips, I always find them so informative and I get a vicarious enjoyment from your photos. Where exactly will you be going this year?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is that a black eye?

Your son is doing childhood right

the sad thing is, he probable got it from his older sister. poor kid witnessed mommy and daddy "wrestling" the other day and likely takes regular beatings from a girl, as is the case for most boys who has older sisters. at this rate, if he is lucky, he is gonna be a cher impersonator in vegas by the time he reaches twenty.  

am joking of course.

am wishing hurl and his family well on his family sojourn. stay safe and have fun.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Don't die.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huh, having some issues with this internet connection, but I'll try again:

Day 1:  We rolled out of the house and I managed to only forget a few things, all pretty easy to pick up at a grocery store.  THe drive was pretty difficult, we overheated on a mountain pass called the Grapevine in Southern California.  My AC was causing a bit too much strain on the engine, but it cooled off quickly enough when we ran the heater for a spell.  No other problems, but I'll be watching the gauges closely.  Thankfully we won't be going through many more mountains.  

We arrived in the desert town of Hesperia and I grilled up some pork chops and veggies.  We've got an early start tomorrow as we head into Arizona.  

All kids need is a bit of dirt to be happy.

10453350_10202316817666522_9171181226423

• Like 2

Day 2 - We rolled out of the park before 8 AM and hit a local Target for all of our missing supplies.  Then we started to drive.  And drive.  And drive.  Seriously, driving through the deserts of California and Arizona is not the most exciting thing.  It was pretty cool when we hit the parts of Arizona with the giant cacti, I'll try and get a picture of them tomorrow.  I tried to convince Logan to take some desert pictures at a rest stop, but it was 105 degrees Fahrenheit, so he put the kibosh on that.

10492556_10202322337564516_6261355185361

We stopped off in Phoenix for some Ice Cream at a place called Melt.  It was this odd neighborhood of artsy shops that looked like it had once been a pretty bad part of town.  The ice cream was great, and from there we hit our destination a bit outside of Tuscon.  We went straight to the pool.

10334336_10202322338564541_3512260138990

Now we are eating some wontons and watching a movie with the AC on full blast.  One more driving day and then I get a break in New Mexico.  :)

• Like 4

Have a wonderful trip, Hurlshot! :)

And thanks for sharing your adventures with us. As someone on the other side of the pond, I must say, these photos give me a distinct Breaking Bad-vibe, minus the uncanny undertones, of course.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Should go see the Boneyard in Tuscon, if you can.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Where outside of Tucson? You're in the area that I grew up in so feel free to feel sorry for me now ;)

We are in Marana.  I'll look into the Boneyard, we've got a pretty easy drive today so we definitely have time for stops.  Today we head into New Mexico, where I'm guessing the Breaking Bad feeling will ratchet up a bit.  :p

I went for a run this morning at 6:30 AM and it was already hot.  Yikes!  Now we are eating breakfast before we hit the road.  The internet connection at this park is fantastic, btw.  I could even get on Steam and do some stuff.

• Like 2

Marana is my hometown

EDIT: If you have you have enough time and since you the boneyard is somewhat in the same area I would recommend a quick trip to the San Xavier del Bac mission

71765020.cfml7Ej5.jpg

and pretty good fry bread in the area but no great loss if there is no time

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Probably made from organic, fair-trade rubber.

They are light truck tires, and they are goodyear, so I actuallu got a decent price. Unfortunately we we really just passing through Arizona, so not much sightseeing. I should come back here in the winter.

Hurlshot's US Tour 2014: He goes on vacation so you don't have to! :lol:

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell