Update 80: State of the Project - From Alpha to Beta

Good to see that everything seems to be coming along nicely.

My only criticism of what was shown today is that the water spray in the Anslog's Compass video looks too slow, wispy, and ethereal, almost like it's mist or smoke and not a spray of liquid water. Hopefully you can get it to look better, but if not it's not too big a deal.

Alpha Beta?! Oh my god back when orange trees were in Orange County.  

I could stare at the grass roof on the Hearthsong building all day--at least until the wind topples the bull's head. Or not, because the foundations of which reach down beneath the ground, undoubtedly.  :huh:

All Stop. On Screen.

By golly this is looking awesome!

Just pretty please make sure not to rush anything. I know I`ll happily wait a month or two if it means a better game at the end:.

Hell, I`ll even do situps while waiting if you want me to:)

Keep up the good work, its looking amazing!!!!!

That screenshot is awesome, keep up the good work godsidian! Can't wait to try an early version of this.

This is my first time posting here since backing. Just want to say, I love it all and this is one of my most anticipated games. I love the updates (I read em all) and I think it looks amazing. Keep up the good work. It's very much appreciated!

• Like 3

What about all the backer content, including locations and NPCs? Are you already done implementing all of it by now?

I think we still have to enter the data for the backer memorials and some of the unique items, but otherwise, yes.  All of the locations, NPCs, items, etc. are built and all (except for a few of the items) are placed in the world.

Greeeeat to hear. I'm sure you took many liberties with the RPG Codex backer content, too ;)

It's looking great! Like others have said the seaweed really adds to that beach scene! I would love to see character footprints on the sand as you bring a character through such a scene if at all possible.

I haven't seen a whole lot of character animation / spell + ability animiations yet but please spend a lot of polish time on these, if you nail these down that will be just awesome. If these are not "right" in a game, I have a hard time getting immersed into the game as minimal frames/incomplete and/or poor animations are quite distracting imo.

With that being siad, I'm looking forward to the beta testing to help with bugs, even if what I mention above isn't fully polished by then!!

Edited by Azureblaze

Has been  a while since I was here last time.

Given PoE has enter in beta stage...

... there are an estimate of a release date?

Please don't February 2015. I'm to old to start to RPGs at once.

• Like 1

That water animation and audio look and sound phenomenal.  My only minor critique is that the audio and animations didn't loop at the same speed so sometimes the sound of waves crashing didn't actually line up with the waves crashing against the rocks.  Otherwise, the scene looks amazing, as do the leather armors and the grass covered homes.  Great work!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Has been  a while since I was here last time.

Given PoE has enter in beta stage...

... there are an estimate of a release date?

Please don't February 2015. I'm to old to start to RPGs at once.

Announced release is late December 2014.

• Like 1

Justin (Audio Director) has been working on finishing all of the music tracks for the game. In fact, he just finished composing our main theme.

...... so when ... are .... we .... going.... to...... ??????

• Like 3

Woooo! :D nice update!

Two personal observations:
- Did you do anything with the sand? I get this "feeling" that the sand texture is moving very subtly at certain times. I might also just be experiencing an optical illlusion due to the fact that I'm focusing my sight on specific areas of the video~ just curious :)

- I am not understanding the shadows from the wooden planks/beams at all. Hmm...

Brainstorm/idea: Anslog's Compass, cryptic meaning? Shadows show a way at different times of the day?

• Like 1

Looks great. One thing: the water all moves together, at the same time, rather than waves propagating throughout.

The water would surely look much more natural if you saw the far away water moving first, then closer water.

Bit of a nitpick, but it looks like a giant painted sheet of water moving, a little bit!

Does look great otherwise though.

That water animation and audio look and sound phenomenal.  My only minor critique is that the audio and animations didn't loop at the same speed so sometimes the sound of waves crashing didn't actually line up with the waves crashing against the rocks. 

I'd have to watch it more often to be sure, but to me it seemed as if the animation was exactly the same every time but the sound wasn't (possibly because it would be much more noticeable and annoying when the sound looped every few seconds than it is for the wave animation). So at one point it sounds as if there is still more water coming down when the spray animation is long over. Maybe it's a problem of finding enough wave sound samples that match the animation exactly.

• Like 1

Such pretty! So progress! Much awesome!

I'm no expert, but it sounds like things are coming along quite nicely. I especially enjoy hearing the "and some extra stuff we didn't even plan on" in the status update for each area. Sounds like most of the content teams are beyond quota, :)

I've gotta say... every time you guys show us some stuff in an update, the game just looks... beta and beta! 8)

EDIT: Also, anyone who likes pixel art and/or seemingly awesome RPGs should definitely check out Witchmarsh. It looks like it's going to be pretty great. I've been perusing Kickstarter as of late, and had actually already backed it.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Woooo! :D nice update!

Two personal observations:

- Did you do anything with the sand? I get this "feeling" that the sand texture is moving very subtly at certain times. I might also just be experiencing an optical illlusion due to the fact that I'm focusing my sight on specific areas of the video~ just curious :)

- I am not understanding the shadows from the wooden planks/beams at all. Hmm...

Brainstorm/idea: Anslog's Compass, cryptic meaning? Shadows show a way at different times of the day?

I believe what they are doing is raising and lowering the water level. I don't think the sand is moving, but there's some sea foam in the mix that, in combination with the wave flux, may make you think it is.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nice update - very informative. Will join the authors above on VFX: it has two issues - one is desynchronisation of water and sound and the other is this mist at the right corner which is supposed to be water flowing down the rock smoothly. Smth that Beta should fix I guess.

• Like 1