Update 80: State of the Project - From Alpha to Beta

Aside from my usual enthusiasm at these updates:

- What programming language is the game written in? I would assume C# given that you're using Unity.

- In the video, the waves sounded like low-bitrate mp3; I don't know if that's an effect of compression or how that sound is generated. This was immediately very distracting to me.

- If I understand well, localization won't start before another 2-3 months? Well, you probably know what you're doing, but that doesn't leave a lot of time to translate, review and VO the reams of text this game contains.

Unity supports C#, Java, and Python.  In fact the documentation is significantly more robust in Java.

I certainly hope this game doesn't have any dependencies on Java; tired of patching that oozing sore.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Unity supports three scripting languages, C#, Javascript and Boo and all of these run over Mono platform, which is opensource platform that is Ecma standard-compliant and is compatible with Microsoft's .Net Framework, which for example includes opensource version of Common Language Runtime virtual machine.

Obsidian (Adam if I remember correctly) has mentioned that they use (nearly) only C#, like Sensuki already mentioned.

I know it it much to ask but is there any way to see the E3 demo as well? Maybe only for backers or best for everyone. The one thing I really hate in this industry is this kind  business practice that keeps people from seeing these almost public demos on these conventions....

Even though you would probably get much better feedback  and publicity from fans instead of clueless game journalists...

• Like 1

If it didn't go against Josh Sawyer's NDA on the story (physical agreement) then they probably would have.

Adam said on twitter they'll be doing a non-spoiler gameplay video later when the game is more polished (they've been focusing on crit path areas in Alpha 1, so the video will probs be in a Wilderness Area or something)

If it didn't go against Josh Sawyer's NDA on the story (physical agreement) then they probably would have.

Adam said on twitter they'll be doing a non-spoiler gameplay video later when the game is more polished (they've been focusing on crit path areas in Alpha 1, so the video will probs be in a Wilderness Area or something)

Fair enough I guess. It is just really frustrating to me that people who are not even much invested in these games and not even supported it get so much too see from a game while the people, which are the reason this game exists in the first place have not seen any kind of longer gameplay at all.

I think no one could ask for 30 Minutes or more but maybe just 5-10 minutes of an "random" encounter with a bit of commentary sound really reasonable to me.

Edited by Darji
  • Like 1

I love the water. And you know what? I love the water scene... i realy do! And you know what? ... i LOVE the water!

and i also like the look of the grassy hill building area! Keep up this great work guys :) sounds all exactly like you told us... quite the different way as the regular publishers... here the truth rules!

And thanks for pointing out the game witchmarch... looks to be fun. I still like pixel games that are cool ;)

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

Amazing work ! The environments I have seen till now look so "alive" ,,, they gave me feeling that I have already been there before ... Hmmmm strange .  

• Like 1

before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth ... you must gather your party 

I would really like to see a populated area and not just empty buildings and cities.

Could you please show a crowded marketplace, a square full of people or stuff like that in the next updates?

I want just to experience the real look and feel of the places I'll visit during the game. Right now everything feels so lonely...

and i also like the look of the grassy hill building area!

AKA, the "hillding" area. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Nice work altogether!

May we have a peek at the UI now that its finished?

Pretty please?

I am not sure if it will make sense for the next update, but I can see if we can get a UI screen for the one after that.

Give unto me a UI! puuuuhhlease =)

• Like 1

Regarding update, it looks really good and I'm very happy everything's on track and heading to release.

However, as someone previously stated, I'm not entirely happy with the fact that the backers have to wait to see the presentation of the game (and what's worse, in not defined future), while the press has already seen it. As the backers were ones who made the development of PoE possible, in my opinion they should have the opportunity to see the presentation first, or at least the same time as the press. It's good to remember that it's not the same thing as with some AAA, publisher-driven titles, so the approach also should be different, even on marketing level.

• Like 4

Oh no! it's feature complete!

Now what will I do on these forums? ;(

(update looks good, though the sea spray could maybe use some variation)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Oh no! it's feature complete!

Now what will I do on these forums? ;(

Start work on PoE2 / expansion?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It's good to remember that it's not the same thing as with some AAA, publisher-driven titles, so the approach also should be different, even on marketing level.

No offense, but I think that Obsidian more than anyone knows that they are not working for a publisher.

Other than that, I agree. We fronted the money.

• Like 1

It's good to remember that it's not the same thing as with some AAA, publisher-driven titles, so the approach also should be different, even on marketing level.

No offense, but I think that Obsidian more than anyone knows that they are not working for a publisher.

Other than that, I agree. We fronted the money.

I'm sure they know, but in this case (presenting the game to press and not to backers) it appears they forgot it for a while ;) And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they turned into some cruel corpo-like dev, I just think they should release the video to backers immediately and don't repeat this kind of situation in the future.

Also, this is not the first time, sadly. Some time ago I asked if the April release is secure. They've told me there's no reason to worry and... a little time later they told the press the game is postponed to the later in 2014.

Well, I just don't like moves like these two, cause it's against the famous KS "transparency" that encourages many people to back projects.