Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

Hm, doubt it did much for Iran in 98 or 06.  Who knows.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

France took Switzerland out to the woodshed.  What a thorough thrashing.

Edit:  And France scores again.  This is looking way too easy for them.  Is there a mercy rule in the World Cup?  This is a massacre.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Poor Swiss, they are having a rough evening.

It says a lot about this group that the Swiss can still go through.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

?

Not sure how this makes any sense. Do you mean that this group has honduras as a *easy* challenge?

As for the game. We lost after 7 minutes. That injury threw off the players / any strategy. Mericless assassination and easy pickings afterwards.

How the world cup for us continues depends solely on if the swiss players can get over what happened today. They are certainly not living up to their potential / what they have shown during qualification so far, though.

Edited by C2B

Honduras looks like they'll be the whipping boys of the group.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

?

Not sure how this makes any sense. Do you mean that this group has honduras as a *easy* challenge?

As for the game. We lost after 7 minutes. That injury threw off thhe players / any strategy. Mericless assassination and easy pickings afterwards.

How the world cup for us continues depends solely on if the swiss players can get over what happened today. They are certainly not living up to their potential / what they have shown during qualification so far, though.

I mean that even though Switzerland is, to me, the only team that deserves the second place in the group, France is so much more superior. It's a very unbalanced group.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I mean that even though Switzerland is, to me, the only team that deserves the second place in the group, France is so much more superior. It's a very unbalanced group.

Ehhhhhhhhhh

This wasn't exactly a game that was too representative of individual stregth. Not that its exactly a great thing that we fall apart so fast after something serious happened. (Though, for some reason that has been quite a constant in our history from the very beginning. We're pretty unstable).

Its certainly debatable that we would have lost either way on account of the high france is riding.

If anything this group and especially this entire WM has proven how unpredicatable (And thus IMO fun) soccer can be. I can't really remember a WM where there were this many upsets.

Edited by C2B

Seeing how both Spain and England has apparently been completely humiliated in the group rounds, maybe now they will also have some time over for that as well.

Maybe that is so for the English, but over here it's BAWW all over and a huge pissing contest, seeing who to pin the blame on, etc. The navel gazing is still going strong, it's just a different, much more bitter, flavor.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well to win so much and end it so sadly stings more than England's decades of decline. :)

That would be something is Spain, England, and Italy wind up all failing to get out of the group stage.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Holy ****!  Honduras scored a goal in the World Cup!  I didn't think I would live to see it.

Edit:  Well, Honduras' lead was rather short lived.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Frustrating first half for the Argentines.  While the game was overwhelmingly played in the Iranian half of the pitch, as expected, Argentina failed to find the back of the net, or even generate many good chances, for that matter.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Argentina playing like dog**** in the second half and Iran is gaining confidence.  The Iranians might do even better than walk away from this with 1 point, they might even get 3.

Edit:  And Messi scores in added time.  I feel horrible for Iran.  They so deserved to come away with a point here.  ****ing Argentina bailed out by Messi.  Nice to have the best player in the world on your team, I guess.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Poor Iran, they really did not deserve to lose this.

I feel sick to my stomach for them.  ****ing Messi ripped their hearts out.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"  I feel horrible for Iran.  They so deserved to come away with a point here."

No. They deserved to lose because they lost. if they deserved to win they should at least score a friggin' goal. I say if yous core 0 goals you should get 0 points even if you 'tie'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Awesome first half by Ghana, I'm impressed. Give them a forward that can avoid getting caught offside every ****ing time and they could seriously rain on Germany's parade...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.