Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

**** YES!!!  **** YES!!!  **** YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

DEMPSEY!!!

kate-upton-american-flag.jpg

USA!  USA!  USA!

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Jesus Portugal sucks. Had to be that ****bag Dempsey too.

US fans rival English ones :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I should find the over the top patriotism of the US annoying, but for some reason find it immensely endearing in football. Helps that they're playing Ronaldo, of course.

Thoughts?

I'd say it's as simple as too much money in the Premier League and it being too successful as a league are the main problems for the english national side. Sides have the money to buy in over the top of local talent, while english talent finds it hard to get into foreign leagues so it's the worst of both worlds. Even though those that do play in the top sides are exposed to many of the best players in the world regularly there simply isn't the critical mass of native english players there to really benefit from it, they're just too diffuse. Don't think that having only a handful of really competitive teams means much though- realistically, people could have accurately guessed the top 4 teams in the premier league for most of the last decade from the beginning of the season, apart from Liverpool/ ManU this year maybe.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

vader.jpg

****ing Portugal escapes elimination.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I should find the over the top patriotism of the US annoying, but for some reason find it immensely endearing in football. Helps that they're playing Ronaldo, of course.

It's the one time every 4 years you are allowed to be an unapologetic flag waving lunatic, they should get their full while they can.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The good news is that both the U.S. and Germany could just go for a draw in the last match and they would both go through.

Maybe not great sportsmanship, but hey.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

They deserve it. Good match.

Calling it before it's over but it doesn't look like Portugal have anything left.

Wow looks like I jinxed it the for the US, lol.

It's a good thing you're not within arms' reach right now.  :p

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hah phew.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Klinsmann was a minute away from earning the title of Dictator for Life.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What you think will we see gentlemanly 0-0 in USA-GER match?

I certainly hope so, but you never know. Germany might want to do the honourable thing and try to win. Which would suck.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Don't normally support the US in any sport, but Jürgen is what got me into* football, so I can't not support them to go through.

* As an Aussie kid in the mid 90s there really wasn't much opportunity or incentive to follow the sport - without the Internet it was down to 1 hour weekly highlights packages on TV - but my dad supports Germany having lived there for a few years before I was born. So it was really just a matter of seeing their best player, and, as kids do, becoming fans of them. And because he played for Tottenham (albeit very briefly) I became a supporter of theirs as well. More a fluke of timing than anything else.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well that wasn't good for Korea. Their lack of confidence and terrible centrebacks got shown up all too well by a really energetic Algerian side, who I think should go on to qualify. A US-Germany draw would set up a US-Algeria Round of 16 which I think could be a really fun match. 

I was waiting on the edge of my seats for some glorious Ronaldo tears, but he had to redeem himself in the last second.

Well that wasn't good for Korea. Their lack of confidence and terrible centrebacks got shown up all too well by a really energetic Algerian side, who I think should go on to qualify. A US-Germany draw would set up a US-Algeria Round of 16 which I think could be a really fun match. 

I was waiting on the edge of my seats for some glorious Ronaldo tears, but he had to redeem himself in the last second.

Or a U.S. - Russia match if Russia manages to win against Algeria. That ought to be fun too.

Or a U.S. - Russia match if Russia manages to win against Algeria. That ought to be fun too.

Russia are so boring, and it will be made worse by US commentators going on and on about Putin or something. I do hope the US goes far to kick on the popularity of the sport in the country a little.